Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Short wallaby hunt.

Short wallaby hunt.

From the dining table last night,this was the view we had about 7pm.He comes down most nights to clip the lawns.Loves the sweet grass.Name:  20201110_201000.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  44.0 KB

hmmm cute when there is one clipping lawns...not so cute when raids the garden....of grabs the dog and beats it up.looks like fine candidate for air rifle snipe....

We are crossing tonight for another week on them. Will leave your one alone.
    kawhia, Trout, Mooseman and 1 others like this.

Banned
    it doesn't look that short

He a big boy,not the biggest but getting there.He s got a 6 ft bounce when in a hurry tho.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    He a big boy,not the biggest but getting there.He s got a 6 ft bounce when in a hurry tho.
    And an echo!
    Micky Duck likes this.

Thanks for sharing @Trout, he is a fine looking speciman.
    Its always good to see that some hunters can exercise some restraint and just admire and respect a life now and again, especially when their really doing no harm.
    Dos'nt need to be kill kill and kill again mentalilty.

I think NZ would be dull place without some wild game roaming the landscape.
    Dreamer, Mooseman and MB like this.

Quote Originally Posted by trapperjohn View Post
    Its always good to see that some hunters can exercise some restraint and just admire and respect a life now and again, especially when their really doing no harm.

Spoken like a tru North Islander yes this 1 is not doing any harm but take a trip into Albury or hacker Valley and see what his brothers and sisters are doing

Quote Originally Posted by Padox View Post
    Spoken like a tru North Islander yes this 1 is not doing any harm but take a trip into Albury or hacker Valley and see what his brothers and sisters are doing
    Well yeh, if theres plague proportions, then yes, let rip.
    Different scenario, from one lone animal surrounded by an abundance of food and clearly shows it through conditioning.

There probley about 6 to 8 roos out behind my place in about 60 acres of rolling hill pine forest,very odd deer.Theres little pockets of roos everywhere where people don't expect to see them.Just takes about 25 square of matagari for 2 or 3 roos to live in near green grass then months later you have 6 roos hopping around.And im 40 ks from the Haka pass.
    Micky Duck and Padox like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    And an echo!
    Yee thump,thump, thump as he hopps away.

A few yrs ago I got permission to hunt a deer in the Haka pass.Early this morning im off on a short walk up a hill to watch out for a fallow to walk by.Well on the short walk I must of seen about 30 to 40 roos within 300 yds of me.The 308 was screaming to shoot a few roos,But no im after a deer,10 o'clock smoko,my fallow walks out to feed,bang flop.The roos hardly moved,just think about how many off spring joeys they produced since then 10 yrs ago.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by trapperjohn View Post

yes it would be a very dull place......having seen damage these hoppers do ,both to enviroment and to dog.....they have thier place but numbers need to be kept in check....when population spreads...it gives twigs n twitter brigade amunition to put pressure on others to make it rain green cereal pellets in large doses..then EVERYTHING else living there gets the smash down too....I love shooting wallabies,the central south island would be much lesser place to live without them (we have stuff all goats) but when the big poisons happen....you just dont hunt them anymore as place is barren and not being safe to take dog makes it double bummer for a hunter.

You guys that try and hunt roos for the 1st time with yr dog.Dont let the dog corner a big roo,he will rip into yr dog with those one inch claws like his life depends on it.
    Micky Duck likes this.

one got ahold of my old bitch...vet though she had been in fight with pig....she bruised all over and very weak...and she was a tough bitch at best of times....never saw encounter as she over spur when it happened,have heard from many others how roo with hold with front feet and hoe in with rear....