Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree17Likes
  • 14 Post By Sika Seeker
  • 2 Post By craigc
  • 1 Post By Nick.m

Thread: Sika wanderings

Sika wanderings

Finding sika stags was testing for my first few years hunting them. I just couldn't seem to find the buggers no matter how hard I tried. After being a bit of a hind slayer I decided I'd leave them and doing that resulted in me shooting my first stag across a gully as I was working my way down a ridge. I spotted him feeding in the sun and he ended up being a little 5 pointer. Sorry no picture of that one BUT....... After getting the first out of the way things seemed to all fall into place and get a little easier. A year later in the roar I was sitting in a creek above a bank behind a log letting the odd roar out with a 180 degree view across onto the opposite face. Nothing happening after half an hour so I stand up and f&@k me there's an 8 pointer standing 5 metres away below me eyes wide open. He turns and bolts and I give a quick mew to stop him which he kindly does and gets one in the shoulder. Stoked! Happened so fast and it's still got me buggered how he got there without me seeing or hearing him
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  1.01 MB

Fast forward another year and I'm working the opposite side to the ridge where I was last year through some real tiger country and I crest a ridge and hello there's an 8 standing on his pad eyeballing me so he gets one in the shoulder. He runs so I have a ciggy and a snack then go over to where he was standing. Blood great start tracking a 50m on I see the tips of some antlers swaying amongst the jelly fern. Still alive shit walk over and give him another one. Was impressed how after getting a.308 through the chest he was still kicking 15 minutes later.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  1.02 MB

Anyway it goes to show that learning where you hunt is pretty important in getting success stag wise. First few years I was a hind slayer but now I'm pretty confident I've upgraded to stag slayer.
    Wildman, Shootm, Tahr and 11 others like this.

That's 16 more Sika points than I've shot, well done!
    Hunt4life and Sika Seeker like this.

Two beaut Sika there
    Sika Seeker likes this.

Cheers boys counting the days to get back in there next month

good work mate, lucky guy!