Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: So it begins.....

So it begins.....

FAL has been obtained
    Rifle has been purchased
    Shooting has been practiced
    Knowledgeable experts have been sought out and consulted
    Youtube has been watched (incessantly)
    Magazines have been studied
    Knives have been sharpened
    Maps have been perused
    Expectations have been raised

And now we come to the acid test - will I find something to shoot this weekend on my first trip away alone.
    And if I do, will I know what the hell to do with it?

Wish me luck......

Of course because this is the internet, your choice of rifle is much more important than actually getting out hunting with it!

Be safe and don't forget to have fun!
    Danny likes this.

Awesome. Don't waste time in dead ground. When the sign hots up slow down. Keep the wind in your face. Most important have fun.
    What part of the country are you hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by thelivo View Post
    FAL has been obtained
    Rifle has been purchased
    Shooting has been practiced
    Knowledgeable experts have been sought out and consulted
    Youtube has been watched (incessantly)
    Magazines have been studied
    Knives have been sharpened
    Maps have been perused
    Expectations have been raised

And now we come to the acid test - will I find something to shoot this weekend on my first trip away alone.
    And if I do, will I know what the hell to do with it?

Wish me luck......
    Always be aware when consulting 'experts', that 'X' is the unknown quantity and a 'spurt' is a drip under pressure.
    EeeBees, hunter308 and JoshC like this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    Awesome. Don't waste time in dead ground. When the sign hots up slow down. Keep the wind in your face. Most important have fun.
    Queen Street? good luck hope all goes to plan
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Good skills
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Good luck
    Be safe and have fun, I look forward to the trip report :thumbup:
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Good luck mate, be safe out there!!!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Lost For Time
    Good luck ! Remember to Identify your target before reaching for that trigger, Keep the wind in your face, Slow down, And most of all just enjoy being out there !
    Identify your target beyond all doubt !

Sounds like you are on the right track! Perseverance is the key. Good luck...
    If it's outdoors, it's all good!

All the best mate. Have fun and remember, seeing something is a bonus

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Queen Street? good luck hope all goes to plan
    Cheeky fecker

Nah - Golden Bay, Cobb Valley.
    Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    Thanks. Write up to follow if anything interesting happens.

Confessions of a wannabe

So - had my first proper hunting trip out. Bugged out from work early friday arvo, got my gear together, jumped in the wagon and headed up to the valley. Plan was a gentle 6(ish) k hike in to the hut, dump my backpack and go see what I could see. However that didn’t account for a couple of problems that soon presented themselves
    • Problem 1: F*** my bag seems heavy!!! Actually, this problem is one that actually improved overnight - I am just out of practice carrying a pack! Having said that, there are a couple of things that I can change to drop a couple of kilos. (Means more shopping - awesome!) One of those is changing the bag itself, which will also help with
    • Problem 2: I was making more noise than Thor on a night out with the boys. My pack was squeaking, creaking and generally making a nuisance of itself. Not exactly the cool SAS killer demeanor I was going for. If there were any deer in the vicinity, they had probably fallen over laughing which was why I didn’t see them in the long grass.

However, neither of these things compared to
    • Problem 3: My boots no longer really fit. My beloved Karrimor KSB’s that I bought nearly 20 years ago are going to have to be retired. Within about 3k I was slightly uncomfortable, and this is one problem that was not going to sort itself out any time soon. By the time I got to the hut, they were basically two suede and cordura sacks of pus and blood so I lay down and cried like a little girl.

Once the retired couple at the hut had stopped looking at me funny, picked me up off the ground, made me a cup of tea and told me to HTFU, I taped the crap out of my feet, grabbed another pair of socks and tried to forget about it. I grabbed my essentials, and wandered off for a bit of a hunt.
    I say wandered off - thats probably an apt description because as I quickly realised, I have NO idea what I am doing. I was trundling around looking serious in case any trampers came past, thinking to myself such useful things as “If I was a deer, where would I be hiding?” or “that looks like a tasty patch of grass, I wonder if I should hang out here for a while?” What I hadn’t realised was that the couple at the hunt could see the direction I had gone, and apparently a deer legged it away from the other side of a little copse when I entered it! Ho hum, all going to plan so far….
    Then it happened.
    I saw a deer. A fallow.
    Raised my rifle, took aim and…… decided against because apparently shooting a deer up the arse when its running away from you is not considered terribly sporting. Go figure.

So the evening hadn’t turned anything up, but there was always the morning.

6am today.
    Crap it’s cold. Its OK, I’ll just stand here for 20 minutes and let my eyes adjust. 20 minutes later I decided screw that, turned the torch back on and continued walking to the little high spot over a clearing I had picked out the previous night. Then, I turned the torch off again and was treated to a spectacular misty sunrise. No deer, but a nice sunrise. I did see one quite small rabbit, but I decided against a shot because I thought
    a) it will basically vaporise on the business end of a 308
    b) if there are any deer, there won’t be after I do that.

But really, that was it. I went back to the hut, packed my stuff up, and headed slowly back to the car. I told the couple at the hut I would be going slow in case there was anything to shoot, but the truth is it was really because my feet hurt too much.

So - not a terribly exciting hunting story, but my learning points were:
    • Despite sucking, I really enjoyed myself.
    • I need new boots
    • 2 Minute noodles with salami and mini babybel works surprisingly well as breakfast.
    • Deer move faster than paper targets, and they also have eyes and can spot you before you spot them. (damn them).
    • I’m out of practice load lugging, but it’s coming back quickly
    • 20 rounds is probably overkill for one night out. Did I think we were going to be attacked by herds of suicidal deer?
    • My gear selection actually wasn’t that bad. I didn’t really overpack, I used just about everything I took although there are a couple of items I need to upgrade/ refresh (sleeping bag, pack) and with readily available streams I probably don’t need to carry as much water with me.
    • My beautiful new svord hunting knife is GREAT for cutting up salami
    • I’m looking forward to the next time.
    • Did I mention I need new boots?
    moonhunt, Bryan, JoshC and 8 others like this.

Ejected
    That seams like a pretty successful trip, might not have shot anything but you did see something and you learnt heaps.