Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: SO, THE SIERRA TMK DO KILL DEER?

SO, THE SIERRA TMK DO KILL DEER?

I have been using the new 69 grn Sierra green tipped Match King bullets for a wee while on rabbits now, and have been impressed, Extremely accurate without any fiddling around with loads to get there.

Loaded at 3040 fps they match the point of impact for the 55 grn tipped Barnes I use on deer. So the one sight in really suits and adds great versatility.

Anyway, I've had a hankering to try the Sierras' on a deer, and took my opportunity last night. My theory was that they might be useful for a longer shot for the .223 (being softer than the Barnes?).

I spotted the stag at 340 yards grazing on the edge of the scrub, and with a bit of stealth I closed the gap to 184 yards. He was broad side on and I aimed for the back of the shoulder, just in front of the crease. At the shot he dropped on the spot, rolled and then tried to get up. Then he disappeared. An unseen hind came bolting down the ridge too, but she was quite safe (especially at the speed she was doing) - I hadn't even bothered to eject the fired case. One was enough.

Tilly found him in the scrub 15 yards down hill from where he was shot, and he was quite dead.
    The bullet had gone right through the rear of both shoulder blades but didn't appear to have exited. But maybe it did. if you have a look at how broad the stag was in its girth (in the first pic), that was a pretty good effort. Brian has got the shoulders and he is going to have a look for the projectile when he bones them.

The wound channel was very impressive (Im happy to email in and out pics if anyone wants them, but I wont post them here).

So, I'm very happy with the bullet's performance. They are certainly hard enough for good penetration and leave a good wound channel. Maybe just a little bit harder in their construction than my experience with AMax, which is probably a good thing.

Its only one shot on one deer, but I was quite impressed. The rifle leaning on the deer is a Savage .223 Lightweight. Its accounted for a few deer now. Its a great little spring hunting rifle.

Last edited by Tahr; 30-11-2015 at 12:59 PM.
    Norway, jakewire, Wildman and 14 others like this.

20 inch barrel? what powder are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    20 inch barrel? what powder are you using?
    Yes, 20". 2206. 26 grns (works in my rifle people, but start lower. Its close to max)

or 06H?

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    or 06H?
    The modern ADI one.

Splendid. Might give 'em a hoon in my shorty AR or the A1

Yes! Another victim of the 223!
    223nut likes this.

Ejected
    I found the non tipped match kings inconsistant killers on rabbits so have been too scared to try them on deer.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    I found the non tipped match kings inconsistant killers on rabbits so have been too scared to try them on deer.
    That's why I thought these tipped ones would be ok on deer. I observed that they aren't too "explody" on rabbits, (deals to them though), and figured they have the tip to open them up when they hit something more solid. The severe exit hole sort of confirmed the theory.

Thanks Tahr, I was looking at them last night but in a different calibre and thought they looked quite promising.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Cheers, good to know after being unimpressed by the regular non-tipped version pencilling through wallabies.

Now we just need someone to bring them in at a sensible price. I'm super keen to try the 69gr in the AR's.

77s (non tipped) out of the PMC match kill small things well out of my A1 (18") but are slooooooow. Like, glacial. 2500fps

I've been using them in 55grn in my 223 & 22-250 on rabbits and they work quite well. 85 grn Intetbonds in the 243 work well on the deer tooName:  IMG_20151128_081051.jpg
Views: 3717
Size:  636.0 KB
    Ya can't park there mate.

Good work Tahr. Ive just got my AR into the 65gr gamekings but was wondering about the tippd MKs. I would be keen to see bullet damage
    steven likes this.