Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree15Likes
  • 11 Post By allister
  • 1 Post By PERRISCICABA
  • 1 Post By striker
  • 1 Post By tikka
  • 1 Post By mawzer308

Thread: Solo hunt in the longwoods

Solo hunt in the longwoods

Name:  IMG_3106.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  1,001.6 KBName:  IMG_3105_2.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  980.6 KB
    Headed out the gate a bit after 5am after stuffing down a coffee and toast. Got to the Longwoods about 6:15 and was surprised how quick the days have shortened up. Ended up siting in the ute till after 6:30 so I could actually see anything.
    The fist couple of hours were fairly uneventful but tons of sign was present. I Parked up on a small ridge in the bush with a bit of a view out over the ferns and creek when after 5 mins a lone Hind wandered into view. She stopped, perhaps sensing me but luckily there was a tree between her and me leaving me out of view. Unfortunately for her, her whole torso was in full view so I let fly with the 270. She did a 180 and crashed off at high speed off into the ferns and out of sight.
    I waited for what I thought was a couple of minutes but in reality was probably about 20 seconds and i run along the ridge to try get a bead on her for a second shot. Then about 20 metres away behind me the bush erupted and a deer crashed off. I thought the deer I had shot had headed up the ridge and was now behind me and heading for the hills. I initially decided to go start checking for blood up the top since i thought I knew where it had headed saving my self some tracking time. Luckily I flagged that and went down to the point of impact to start the search there. I soon came across blood in large quantities and found the animal only about 50 meters away still at the bottom of the cliff. There had been a second animal up behind me the whole time!
    The hind was definitely traveling solo and when i was doing the gutting I noted that her udder was dry.
    The carry out was a bit of a mission with a steep bank and a creek to negotiate. I took my pack and rifle first trip and came back for the deer. Id like to thank my Garmin GPS for the waypoints for finding my way back to the Hind. Definitely a time saver.
    Im finding that time in the bush is the best way to improve my Bush hunting skills. Im learning something new every trip.
    Nathan F, Shootm, Tahr and 8 others like this.

No CZ today then? Good on you! Looks YUMMY!

Mac
    allister likes this.

The Original Striker
    its nice bush hunting in the longwoods in the right spots, I had some very enjoyable hunting up there in the past
    tikka likes this.
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

I used to hunt a lot in there and shot my first 12 point stag in there and my first one bullet fired two deer dropped.
    striker likes this.

Nice work mate! I grew up hunting in the Longwoods and still do when I go to see the family each year.
    allister likes this.

Many years ago my son worked down that way and on our visit we went for a looksee, no animals seen but plenty of sign. Once local knowledge is gained I think It would be a nice spot for hunting.
    Well done a nice load of meat for the freezer.