Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree57Likes
  • 20 Post By Mooseman
  • 6 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By charliehorse
  • 24 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By BeeMan
  • 1 Post By sometimes1
  • 1 Post By Josan
  • 1 Post By RUMPY
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By Lucky

Thread: South bound

South bound

Recently my nephew and I headed south for a hunt with me old mate Top of the South (Rod) chasing Wallabies , Deer and a Tahr or two.
    After a long trip we headed for our hunting area the next day. A quick stop at Geraldine to say hi to Micky Duck and have a cuppa, great to catch up with you Milky now I know who I am talking to on the forum.
    Another mandatory stop at Fairlie for one of their famous pies ... pretty good too.

Early afternoon we had camp set up and went out for a quick look to get the lay of the land so to speak. Neil and Rod decided to head further down the ridge and I was going to go back up one of the gullies for some Wallaby control. When the boys were about 300 yards away I noticed a mob of Fallow about 2km away so managed to flag them down and they decided to have a closer look.

My afternoon was interesting shooting wallabies and the odd rabbit. I was using my 22 250 with 55 gr BT's and this worked a treat. My first Bennet Wallaby was shot at a mere 10 yards. But by the afternoon end I had scored one at 383 yards ( non dial up scope on my 250) so was pleased with that shot.
    9 Wallabies and 6 rabbits for the afternoon.
    The boys arrived back at camp just after dark shortly after me having had a successful hunt with Neil shooting his best to date Fallow buck at 475 yards with his 7 mm Rem Mag.

In the morning they went of to collect the buck while i did another hunt up behind camp and netted another 6 wallabies and some more rabbits. It was great fun shooting the 250 at a bit of range on the rabbits , several parted company to several body parts when hit.
    The boys seen several more bucks on their travels but these were left in peace.

In the afternoon we drove to another spot and split forces and gave the wallabies and rabbits a bit of a hurry up, By evening we had a total of just over 60 wallabies and about 15 rabbits. The rabbits were causing serious damage to the hillsides with some areas bare dirt.

We decided that the next day was going to be looking for a tahr. In the morning we broke camp then headed into Tekapo for a few supplies then on up to the McCauley. for a hunt.
    Walking in at lunchtime under a cloudless sky was pretty darn hot but we got there, some a bit quicker than others, thanks Rod.
    We set up our tents then went for a wee walk to glass some bluffs and valleys. It wasn't long before we started seeing Tahr, I stayed a little lower down and glassed and Rod and Neil carried on up a short way more. Shortly after I seen Neil getting set up for a shot and then the 7mm Mag boomed and the boys disappeared into a tussocky gully.
    I kept glassing and ended with a count of 25 animals. The boys arrived back down at my spot not long before dark and showed me pictures of the bull Neil had shot , a very nice 12 incher which was chasing a nanny about when he got it . It was in the most accessible spot we could have hoped for.
    The bull was left there gutted for me to go back up and headskin for Neil the next morning. We still had a little light left so we glassed a bit and Neil picked up a group which we got within 475 yards of so Rod and I took a shot and both connected but both the animals slid into a shingle gutter on a bluff and were not able to be retrieved.

The following morning we headed up to the bull where I started head skinning while Rod and Neil clambered up to the top of the bluffs and into a nice valley only to have a helicopter cruise in at the most inappropriate time.
    I finished the caping and headed down to camp and finished doing the head, finishing as the boys arrived back. We decided to head out as we couldn't leave the head skin without salt in the hot conditions so we packed up and about 2 hours later were back at Rods truck.

We had to stop at the Pie shop in Farlie again and then we dropped in to see Micky Duck but he wasn't about so he missed out on a leg of venison.
    Once back at Rod's we rebooked on an earlier sailing and got back home a day earlier than planned. Was a great trip and sure will try and get back one soon.

I tried to post pictures a while back and it wouldn't and it's the same now , sorry will try again later.
    Tahr, Brian, 7mmwsm and 17 others like this.

it was great to meet you chaps...next time I will try NOT to be in my pajamas LOL.
    sounds like you had a great trip....yip 22-250 and wallabies is a lot of fun.

What time was it when they rolled up @Micky Duck?
    tetawa likes this.

morning when I didnt have to go to work......LOL

Name:  20210527_202511.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  3.72 MB Neil's 12 inch Bull

Name:  20210527_202618.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  4.17 MB Another angle off Bull

Name:  20210527_203239.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  3.88 MB Camp

Name:  20210527_203309.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  4.95 MB Neil's Fallow Buck

Name:  20210527_203343.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  5.91 MB My first Bennet Wallaby

.243 addict
    Well done @Mooseman. Nice to see a young fulla guided around.
    Mooseman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    it was great to meet you chaps...next time I will try NOT to be in my pajamas LOL.
    sounds like you had a great trip....yip 22-250 and wallabies is a lot of fun.
    Thought all male "maimlanders" slept in black wool singlets, sorry forgot your "king country" born and bred which gives you some finesse.

Awesome trip there men it’s one of my dreams to do a trip like that
    Mooseman likes this.

Beautiful landscape and good hunting. Seeing that clear blue sky and being in a zero light pollution environment will give you some excellent starry nights also.
    Mooseman likes this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Thought all male "maimlanders" slept in black wool singlets, sorry forgot your "king country" born and bred which gives you some finesse.
    Yes, I'm sure I can just see sir Colin or brother Stanley rocking up to answer the door mid morning in their pajamars.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I should have stopped and said hello, I was riding my bike passed Mickys house when you stopped on the way home. Told Micky there was some dodgy looking guys hanging around his place.
    Looks like you guys had a great trip.
    Mooseman likes this.

Beautiful country and beautiful rifle in that last pic.

Quote Originally Posted by RUMPY View Post
    I should have stopped and said hello, I was riding my bike passed Mickys house when you stopped on the way home. Told Micky there was some dodgy looking guys hanging around his place.
    Looks like you guys had a great trip.
    Yeh you should have , it would have been good to catch up with another forum member. And yes it was a great trip down to your neck of the woods.
    RUMPY likes this.

Nice one @Mooseman , great trip and pics , thanks for taking the time to share
    Mooseman likes this.