Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree24Likes
  • 15 Post By Mooseman
  • 7 Post By Fred Fisherman
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Mooseman

Thread: Start of year freezer fillers

Start of year freezer fillers

A couple of weekends (4th) back we set out to finish checking all the cameras before they got to far into 2021, this makes sorting last years and this years into folders easier. I had four to check as did Beeman.
    We didn't start early and it was about 10.30 am when I got to the skid site the first camera was on ( Waterhole we call it). As I neared the camera I heard movement and branches breaking but nothing showed so I went to the camera.
    Again branches broke this time in the pines on the far side of the skid, several moments later a white pig with black spots ambled through a gap. Thinking it would come onto the skid I waited but nothing showed after five minutes so I did the camera and moved onto the next in a saddle several hundred meters away.

With that one done too and a few animals on both I moved off towards the third camera. I had only gone 20 m when a small black pig trotted up to about 3 m from me ,stopped then as I moved he took off back up to where he came from and stopped. He was to small to shoot but as I watched I caught movement to the left of the little fella, bingo it was the one I had seen earlier.
    Quickly I turned the firedot on and followed the pig as it feed into some rubbish only to reappear in a clear spot seconds later, red dot just under the ear and bang first kill with the new VX 5.( love that scope)

She was in good nick so I hung her in a tree to drain and finished the other two cameras before meeting up with Beeman and his son. After a short drive we were back on the skid and Neil and I shot up onto the ridge and dragged the sow back to the truck.
    Later as the afternoon wore on we headed back up for an evening hunt, Beeman and I hunting some open country in an area close to each other while Neil checked another clear cut we had seen a heap of sign on three weeks back.
    It was all but dark when we heard Neil on the radio saying he was heading down towards the road for pick up. As we drove in several minutes after talking to him the radio came on and Neil said he had just shot a nice one for the freezer.

Talk about tinny, all but dark and he bombed a nice eater, cool as. After we got there we did the short walk to where he was and found him with a nice spiker in good condition. A few quick photos and then gutted him before we dragged him about 400 m to the truck.
    What a cool start to 2021 may there be many more choice hunts like we had this day.

Name:  image1.jpeg
Views: 321
Size:  199.4 KBName:  image2.jpeg
Views: 347
Size:  155.6 KB
    nor-west, rugerman, tikka and 12 others like this.

If you look carefully you can see the camera we have set up on the waterhole , just to the right of Neil's left shoulder on the tree ( Neil in Reebok shirt)

Great stuff Mooseman. Love your regular posts.
    Good to get on the board for 2021! This one is from the south wairarapa Public land yearling spiker, good to see a few deer out and about on Sunday evening. Bit of a test too for uploading pictures. I'll see if this works
    Name:  IMG_1594.jpeg
Views: 321
Size:  1.33 MB

good stuff,so far all my efforts this year have turned up is wasp stings and a wet arse....
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

Your fortunes will change soon with the new 270 in your hands, hope it works well for you.
    Micky Duck likes this.