Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Sunday morning Kaweka hunt - Why do I hunt? (Video)

  1. #1
    GWH
    GWH is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Napier, Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    2,634

    Sunday morning Kaweka hunt - Why do I hunt? (Video)

    I had a really enjoyable hunt up the Kawekas on Sunday morning. Whilst I never pulled the trigger, it was a very rewarding trip.

    It made me think that while some would class it as an unsuccessful hunt due to not bringing home an animal, to me it was a very satisfying and successful trip. It made me ponder what i like about hunting and some of the reasons that i choose to hunt.

    The short film can say the rest

    https://youtu.be/Au5ASoBSvyE
    Shootm, Tahr, veitnamcam and 11 others like this.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    southland
    Posts
    1,944
    nope understand what you are getting at . I don't get many but enjoy the hunting when not successful . the peace and nature make any outing worthwhile.
    GWH likes this.

  3. #3
    Member Tahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,088
    That was damn good footage, and a really good message and sentiment.

    But cripes, what I don't understand is why you didn't go home with a spiker and a couple of fat Kereru?
    GWH, Huk and Blisters like this.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    657
    Thanks for this - I now regret not heading out on Sunday....
    GWH likes this.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Paengaroa, Te Puke
    Posts
    1,518
    Stunning country and great footage. I agree you don't need to kill an animal every trip, last weekend I seen 11 deer hunting a block of mature pines, out of those deer one mob of nine had 5 hinds and 4 fawns in it and the other two were a hind and fawn. I didn't want to shoot a hind and leave the fawn so choose to leave them be. It was interesting as the big mob ran up onto an open ridge in the pines and milled around for a good 5 minutes barking and carrying on. It was a magic morning one I won't forget in a hurry.....that's the reason why we hunt.
    veitnamcam, GWH, shift14 and 4 others like this.

  6. #6
    Member sometimes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    BOP
    Posts
    495
    awesome man
    GWH likes this.

  7. #7
    Member Tahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Stunning country and great footage. I agree you don't need to kill an animal every trip, last weekend I seen 11 deer hunting a block of mature pines, out of those deer one mob of nine had 5 hinds and 4 fawns in it and the other two were a hind and fawn. I didn't want to shoot a hind and leave the fawn so choose to leave them be. It was interesting as the big mob ran up onto an open ridge in the pines and milled around for a good 5 minutes barking and carrying on. It was a magic morning one I won't forget in a hurry.....that's the reason why we hunt.
    Interesting about hinds, and I have always thought that the majority of hunters took the same approach about hinds with fawns as you do @Mooseman. But maybe I'm wrong about some other hunters. If you look at the face book pages like NZ Venison Hunters there are plenty of pics of hinds being shot currently. No one seems to care, or comment. Maybe its just not worth the indignant wrath from the face book supporters. I dunno.
    Huk likes this.

  8. #8
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    18,965
    Great vid and and ethic

    As an aside I have always considered (here in the top of the south at least) end of feb no worries for a fawn(red deer) to survive.....a spring and summer like we have had(here) (and a mild wet winter)with massive growth threw-out the season realistically it could be a lot earlier here...this year...... but generally end of feb.

    Others regions will be different year by year and species.
    Last edited by veitnamcam; 07-02-2018 at 08:26 PM.
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

    Chicken Intolerant.

  9. #9
    Member nelpop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Papamoa
    Posts
    180
    Awesome video. i agree its not always about shooting an animal
    veitnamcam and GWH like this.

  10. #10
    GWH
    GWH is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Napier, Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    2,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    That was damn good footage, and a really good message and sentiment.

    But cripes, what I don't understand is why you didn't go home with a spiker and a couple of fat Kereru?
    haha yes, lets just say that spiker was a very lucky deer. My hunting mate had called it a hind, and he swore he had seen a fawn under it ;-) After he had anounced that i guess i didnt look at it hard enough. It was 465 yards away and couldnt see the little button spikes in the 10x binos, and on the little camera screen didnt notice them either. It wasnt until i reviewed the footage at home on the big pc moniter that i saw that the hind was in fact a spiker ;-) It did look tasty too eh.
    Tahr, veitnamcam and Boaraxa like this.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,742
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Interesting about hinds, and I have always thought that the majority of hunters took the same approach about hinds with fawns as you do @Mooseman. But maybe I'm wrong about some other hunters. If you look at the face book pages like NZ Venison Hunters there are plenty of pics of hinds being shot currently. No one seems to care, or comment. Maybe its just not worth the indignant wrath from the face book supporters. I dunno.
    The face book crowd get up in arms about velvet stags though. Ain't no velvet stags without the hinds but I don't think their internal flow chart has reached that conclusion yet!
    sometimes likes this.

  12. #12
    Member chainsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,613
    Great footage. Every day in the bush is to be treasured, good on you for not pulling the trigger. So much to learn by observing.
    veitnamcam and GWH like this.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Paengaroa, Te Puke
    Posts
    1,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Interesting about hinds, and I have always thought that the majority of hunters took the same approach about hinds with fawns as you do @Mooseman. But maybe I'm wrong about some other hunters. If you look at the face book pages like NZ Venison Hunters there are plenty of pics of hinds being shot currently. No one seems to care, or comment. Maybe its just not worth the indignant wrath from the face book supporters. I dunno.
    I don't have a problem shooting hinds with a fawn but the fawn should be taken too, over the years I have shot hinds/fawns especially when I was younger and have no problem with anybody doing so. The area we hunt has a good population of deer and we can "farm it" and take what we need, had we been short of venison one would have gone down for sure.
    More interested in trying to find those better stags we have seen on the camera's.

  14. #14
    Huk
    Huk is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Parua Bay Nthld
    Posts
    335
    a nice day on the hill as they say,some very good shots of the wild life there, not a tree hugger but like spending time watching when they show themselves
    GWH likes this.

  15. #15
    GWH
    GWH is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Napier, Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    2,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Huk View Post
    a nice day on the hill as they say,some very good shots of the wild life there, not a tree hugger but like spending time watching when they show themselves
    Yep same here mate, nice to see when we are up there chasing deer, but i could never be a "bird watcher", well not the feathered variety anyway.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. An Early morning hunt
    By Sean in forum The Magazine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 18-04-2016, 11:58 AM
  2. Sunday Hunt - Any Wellingtonian keen
    By initiaz in forum Hunting
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 15-10-2014, 07:41 PM
  3. Kaweka Fly in Hunt/Fish Recommendations
    By JoshChiv in forum Hunting
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 15-09-2014, 08:03 PM
  4. Best Morning Hunt Ever!
    By Malhunting in forum Game Bird Hunting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-06-2014, 10:33 AM
  5. Sunday hunt
    By Neckshot in forum Hunting
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 23-09-2012, 11:38 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!