Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: A Sunday walk

A Sunday walk

I've noticed lately my base fitness is pathetic, not sure if its old age or lack of hunting due to my usual haunts from the last 15-20 years being recently bombed with 1080
    Could always be both of course

We went for a walk yesterday arvo, it was such a beautiful day here it would have been rude not to.
    As usual for an armed tramp/walk I like to take my Super Lite 22 Terminator, as seen here http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...minator-13685/ at 4.26 lbs its hardly heavy or a pack fuller
    I only planned a short walk about 3-4km return, just as well after stopping for lunch & taking the long cut/Sunday drive route we were a little behind schedule.
    We got up to the car park & much to my GFs delight the local Weka was there to greet us
    We moved off up the track to my intended destination a lovely vista of the Nelson region.

We were getting close to our destination with the expected complete lack of sign younger than two-three months when I heard a goat.
    We decided we would like to investigate & possibly annoy the vocal pest in the National Park.
    I had only taken a couple of steps from the discussion point when it was quietly pointed out I should look over there
    I looked up saw the young Billy at about 15m, closed the bolt & made a noise.
    He was less than pleased with me & so was his Mate as she burst onto the scene only to suffer the same fate.
    I turned to see my GF wide eyed with fingers in her ears commenting on now loud it was.
    That was the first time she had seen anything shot even though we had been on a few walks together.

I set about boning them out for the walk back to the Ute, she was unsure about how she felt about what had unfolded until I handed a back leg to her to put into a bag, her eyes lit up as she recognised it as a roast worth about $30 in the supermarket I was told, I replied yep & we had four

When finished we proceeded to the initial viewing spot amongst the bush.

With nothing else seen we made it back to the ute before it started to get dark after a great day out.
    My legs have been telling me today I went for a walk...FFS it wasn't far at all !!!!
    Last edited by 7mmsaum; 21-04-2015 at 10:08 AM.

well done I hear you re old age catching up! that 1080 is banned here in tassy now.
    HILLBILLYHUNTERS likes this.

Good call to dispatch those mongrels!

Good on ya for showing the miss's how it happens. My wife doesn't want a bar of it but she's happy to eat venison so she'll keep.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    Good on ya for showing the miss's how it happens. My wife doesn't want a bar of it but she's happy to eat venison so she'll keep.
    Well done Greg, my misses doesnt like the blood n guts bit either (as for the smell ) but when those backsteaks are on the dinner plate.....well........
    Rusky likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    used to take mine pig hunting when we were courting, I'ld leave her with a spear (bayonet taped to a strong stick) and a holder on a crossing track in case of an escapee. always wondered what would happen if one came her way and Kare grabbed it.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Good stuff Greg, Its funny how some people put a dollar value on the meat you bring out of the bush.

Almost duplicates my anniversary hunt I had with my wife....different island of course plus wifey shot one herself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    I've noticed lately my base fitness is pathetic...
    Is there really such a thing? My fitness have been freefall since we last met; reading this gives me hope...

Radical rifle!

Quote Originally Posted by Norway View Post
    Is there really such a thing? My fitness have been freefall since we last met; reading this gives me hope...

Radical rifle!
    Thanks.

Yep I believe there is

We went for another walk yesterday, not very far but with bush hunting/stalking there is no point being in a hurry.

I noticed I was in much better shape when I got back to the Ute so I must be getting fitter again.

Perhaps I should take a heavier rifle next time

Wouldn't it be more useful to take the extra weight in ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by Norway View Post
    Wouldn't it be more useful to take the extra weight in ammo?
    It would be even more useful if I managed to shoot a Deer

Sneaky little Fallow can be buggers in the bush, esp with two of you making noise.

Thanks.

Yep I believe there is

We went for another walk yesterday, not very far but with bush hunting/stalking there is no point being in a hurry.

I noticed I was in much better shape when I got back to the Ute so I must be getting fitter again.

I can totally help with the heavier rifle bit!!!!
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

I can totally help with the heavier rifle bit!!!!

didnt know you owned Blaser as well?
    Kiwi Greg likes this.