Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Tahr well earned

Tahr well earned

After buying a NZ Hunter mag for something to read while on holiday 4 or 5 years ago i decided to get back into hunting. I was especaly interested in and intregued by monarcs of the mountain, Tahr.
    Because none of my mates or even aquantances hunted. I obsessively researched everything from rifles to boots to hunting grounds and everything in between that i would need to get my trophy bull . After $$$ spent half a doz solo trips into the mountains a foot high stack of NZH mags later and mockery from friends that i have all the gears and always talk hunting but have never shot anything I finally tipped one over.
    My origonal plans to go hunting with my cuz fell over but it worked out i could go solo a day later, just missing the rain and striking fantastic weather.
    Name:  IMG_0316.JPG
Views: 572
Size:  113.5 KBAttachment 8117
    (Lake Pukaki with Mt Cook in the background. photo doesn't do this justice as people who have seen this view on a blue bird day can attest. A very powerful sight).
    I set off up the valley at about 230 wondering how my fitness was going to hold up. After 3hrs i made the first hut and was feeling good so i kept moving to Littles hut glassing along the way. I didnt see anything whilst glassing but saw plenty of hoof marks in the riverbed which gave me confidence. I made the hut at about 830pm had a quick glass before dark still nothing. I don't think i fully appreciate the time you need to spend glassing I'm very impatient.
    Next day dawns (well not yet) and i set off for the head of the valley under head light i get about a mile up and realise I've set off a bit too early i get boxed in by the river and cant see shit so i find a comfy spot and have a bit of a lie down.
    At last the day dawns (after 1.5hrs) and i can see, so i start glassing. Still nothing!
    "Fuck it if i cant see you i will come find you".
    So up i went (this is the bit i hate!).
    I sidled up for an hour then came to a bit of a gut which made me change corse to directly up luckily with all the rain the fine gravel was solid as which made for easier going.
    With every breather i gazed up into the bluffs hoping to see something but not expecting it when shockingly a small group of Tahr were walking along under the bluffs.
    ACTION STATIONS!!!!
    RANGE FINDER!!!
    285!!
    HOLD OVER!
    2.5"ish minus1" for the angle so not much needed
    I started to calm down and rested my 7mmRM on my pack and peered at them through the scope it was what i thought was a group of nannies with some juvys i wasn't sure if i wanted to scare of what could be around the corner for a nanny when the biggest one presented its self for a perfect opportunity. I took it. Bang, flop, roll summersault, roll, slide out of site
    WOOOOO HOOOOO!!!
    The 200 rounds i spent shooting a little black dot payed off!
    After a half hours climb and some scouting around i found it hung on a rock on the scree of doom leadind over a small bluff
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363940452.817259.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  78.8 KB
    I almost left it there but after noticing it was a bull and assessing the danger which was mostly in my head i carefully crawled down took the head and back straps.
    "Im a real hunter now" i thought to myself.
    All this before 10am so by 1130 Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363941537.021058.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  92.7 KB
    i was off the mountain and had what turned out to be painful a 8 hour walk out.
    At 3pm i was buggered and 100m from the other hut when out of the river a mob of half a doz jumped up and trotted off up the hill. My gun was strapped to my pack and i was shagged so i let them go. For next time.
    Last edited by username; 22-03-2013 at 09:45 PM.

Nice work and bloody typical seeing animals near home on the way out.

AB Precision
    Good shit.

The first one is always a good feeling an you had a bit of effort involved as well

Awesome well done username :thumbup:

Have a beer on me .

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

R93
    Good on ya mate. Good effort. 8 hr walk in that country? What sort of day pack have ya got there, badlands?
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Another young huntress
    Tahr well earned indeed, good on ya.

Thanks. it was a bit of a scouting mission so i wanted to get up as far as i could to have a nosey and test my limits. they were definately tested. I was down to a hobble when i got to the car. R98 its a hunters element evolve

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363942968.046997.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  63.7 KBi missed this one

Hobbling down riverbed why 8 hrs fresh feet and body would have been 6 my feet and shoulders had had it by the time i got off the hill.

R93
    Sweet, thanks.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Well done , and a good story to boot .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Bet that lost a few pounds off ya avatar?

Great read username and cool pics too
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Yeh but i put it back on when i got back to twizel with a big hearty stew and deep fried spuds for dinner then a full cooked breakie before heading home
    Dundee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Bet that lost a few pounds off ya avatar?

Great read username and cool pics too
    Good effort there username. You could knock a few pounds off your avatar but a few pounds off you and there'd be nothing left. You stopped smiling yet?
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Good work I should really get off my ass and start chasing those things at some stage too.