Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree183Likes

Thread: Toby's day. (By Rushy)

Caretaker

Toby's day. (By Rushy)

RUSHY'S TRIP REPORT.......

"When Carpe Diem and I arrived in Wairoa on Monday, Brads was already there with a carton of Waikato cooling for me (I shit you not). The three of us went around to Toby's home and I was immediately blown away by the tributes being made to Toby. the most amazing of these to me was that Toby's two brothers (Troy and Luke) had been out that morning to have the same hunting scene tattoo that toby got a few months ago, put on their arms and what is more, Toby's sister Krystal had done similarly with the tattoo outline.

On going in to the home, toby was laying in his casket with the lid off. The foot of the casket was draped with a camo net and on top of that was Toby's 6.5 x 55. The coffin lid was against the wall and there were many messages from friends and family written on the underside. I had a chat with Toby and told him that a 6.5 is the mongrel child of a .243 and a.270. Carpe Diem assured Toby that I was not telling the truth. Brads meanwhile was getting a tad misty (on ya Brads) so not long after we exited to have the worst steak a man has ever stuck in his gob.

On Tuesday we attended the funeral service at Toby's home which was conducted by a close friend of the family. Gibo, Pointer, EBF (and his good lady), Carpe Deim, Brads and I stayed close to one another to draw strength from each other. I delivered a eulogy on behalf of us all (the wider NZHS community I mean). Below is the eulogy for those that are interested:

Today I am sad. Sad because I will never again sit with Toby, shooting the breeze and talking about all manner of things hunting and shooting related.

And today I am mad. Mad because someone so young who lived life to the full, has been taken from among our number way, way too soon.

But also, today I am glad. Glad because for my young friend Toby and his family and his friends, the pain and suffering for him and those close to him has come to end.

Hello, my name is Allan Rushworth. To Toby I was known as Rushy, for that is the name by which I am known on the internet based community NZ Hunting and Shooting (NZHS for short). I am here today in a personal capacity to join with you all in a celebration of the life of my young friend Toby, but I am also here to represent the huge number of fellow hunters and shooters that belong to NZHS who can’t be here in person today but who would like you all to know that they admired Toby and the contribution he made to the NZHS forum community and that they all share in your sorrow and your grief at the sad loss of your, son, your grandson, your brother, your nephew and your mate.

NZHS has 5122 members and Toby who joined the forum in September 2012, was one of the more active contributors to the forum discussions averaging just on ten posts per day to amass a total of 11,108 posts across his three years among our number.

In a forum where members have names like Moonhunt and Mucko, R93 and Gadgetman, Gapped Axe and Carpe Diem, Neckshot and Niblett, Gibo, EBF, Pointer, Vietnamcam, Stingray, Pengy, Dundee and Brads, Toby’s member name was simply Toby. Such was his no nonsense approach. Although if you ask a few of us later I am sure that many among us will tell you that we knew him affectionately as “Ballsack” for Toby had a fixation with drawing a cock and balls on anything that stood still long enough for the phallic graffiti to be applied.

When I first met Toby, he was a boy about the same age as my eldest grandson is now and he was in a hospital in Auckland for round one of his fight with cancer. In the three years since meeting him, I observed Toby as he transitioned from the manling that he was, into the man that he became.

To say that he was truly inspirational to me and the many fellow members of NZHS that I speak for now is an absolute understatement. Toby enriched our lives in so many ways that it is difficult for me to recount them here. But Toby you should know this. You were the most amazingly natural shot with a rifle that I and many in our NZHS community have ever met. You were a far better hunter at your young age than me and most that I have met who have many times your experience in the pursuit of game. And you were without doubt the single most outstanding individual that it has ever been my honour and privilege to have met. Know also that I and many of my fellow NZHS members have been hugely proud to call you our friend.

In the face of adversity, I have met no one more stoic.
    In the face of misfortune, there are none more heroic.
    You have enriched the lives of all that you’ve met.
    And will continue to do so, for several years yet.
    Know that we take pride in having all known a man.
    That spat in the face of great torment and said “yes I can”.

Two Saturday’s ago in Palmerston North Toby and our friend Brads were talking and planning about fulfilling one of Toby’s last desires which was to hit a steel target set up at two kilometres distance. Unfortunately that is not now something that Toby will ever do but I do believe that in this unfulfilled desire, Toby has left us all something that can bring us together and unite us in his memory.

Without reference to anyone here since last Friday, I have placed an order for a trophy to be made. This trophy will be engraved “NZHS Long Range Shooting Competition” “TOBY GOODLEY MEMORIAL TROPHY. When I receive this trophy, I will gift it to the NZHS forum with a suggestion that they facilitate an annual event at Duncan Bradley’s farm at Ongaonga to honour Toby’s memory and to celebrate the richness that Toby bestowed upon us all and my strong suggestion will be that NZHS invite you his family and friends to attend this event to present this trophy to whomever from among our number wins the 2K challenge laid down by our mate.

Thank you. Take the easy road now Toby for you have definitely done the hard yards.

After the service finished a large number of people (including us lot) went out to Toby's range with his casket and had a last blast with him. It was incredibly nice for his family to have facilitated this.

Today I have received the trophy that I spoke of and soon I will liaise with the only forum admin that I have contact with (7mmsaum) to get it into the hands of the forum

I have some ideas as to how the competition should be conducted but will leave that up to you guys."
    Last edited by 7mmsaum; 21-10-2015 at 07:26 PM.
    DAF, hillclima, Wildman and 57 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Well done Rushy, thank you for stepping up and making all of us a part of the service. Eulogies are the one thing that most people seem to turn away from, you grabbed it by the Ballsack and truly honoured our friend. The family would of taken comfort from your effort's and your presence, supported by the other forum members. I know that it would of helped them in their grief. Kudos to you, now get that man a beer.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

The best post this forum has ever been privileged to receive .

Ken
    falconhell, Pengy and Scouser like this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

That's a very nice tribute & eulogy you delivered Rushy a personal thankyou from me.
    I was down that way previous week & didn't know of his passing until getting home.
    That memorial trophy is fantastic ,I'm sure it will be contested by a lot of his mates.
    You may have started something of a grand event but a fitting tribute to Toby.
    gadgetman, R93 and PERRISCICABA like this.
    Gun control means using both hands

Rushy. Thankyou mate!!! That's all.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Toby's day. (By Rushy)

Brought a tear to my eye again that did.... Would love to have attended and said goodbye myself ( and whispered "shortland st is gay" one more time)

Bloody good on you Rushy...
    Munsey, Pengy, BRADS and 3 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Brought a tear to my eye again that did.... Would love to have attended and said goodbye myself ( and whispered "shortland st is gay" one more time)

Bloody good on you Rushy...
    Thank you Rushy, you did a really good job, pretty much summed Toby up to a t
    Carpe Diem likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Well said mate
    Ya can't park there mate.

Well said Allen, huge thanks for speaking for all the fellow members on the forum,

The memorial trophy is a great way to celebrate the life of a great lad......
    R93 and Pengy like this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

@Rushy bloody beautiful mate, i wouldnt have a hope in hell of hitting a 2k target but i might have to try.
    Muckos Shooting accessories and engineering https://www.facebook.com/aimnzengineering/

I dont post very often but I did enjoy the stuff that Toby posted and his contribution to this forum..

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
    I am not there... I do not sleep.
    I am the thousand winds that blow...
    I am the diamond glints on snow...
    I am the sunlight on ripened grain...
    I am the gentle autumn rain.
    When you waken in the morning's hush,
    I am the swift uplifting rush
    Of gentle birds in circling flight...
    I am the soft star that shines at night.
    Do not stand at my grave and cry—
    I am not there... I did not die...
    7. Avoid alcohol or drugs when handling firearms

Good judgement is the key to safe use of firearms.

"There's a reason you go to a zoo and you don't get eaten by Lions, they're in the cages. That's how that works."

Quote Originally Posted by mucko View Post
    @Rushy bloody beautiful mate, i wouldn't have a hope in hell of hitting a 2k target but i might have to try.
    Be rude not to Mucko - oh and a great reason to see a few faces on a more regular basis... with representation from the family also... instantly a magic event in my books.

Oh did any one mention the shape of the plasma cut 2 K gong..... yup you guessed it... Toby strikes again...

Awesome work rushy, ive been quiet on these threads, don't really know what to say other than its shit. Awesome to hear you guys went and represented, sounds like he had a good send off. To really make the trophy memorable we should make it that you have to shoot with a home made brake (flashbacks of Toby's brakes....) lol, the guy had dreams and aspiration alright, interesting reflecting on his older posts and seeing a shift in maturity and understanding of things in general, no doubt largely credited to those of you who spent good time with him. Although he didn't grow up too much to not draw ball bags on everythin.....
    veitnamcam, gadgetman and Munsey like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    Be rude not to Mucko - oh and a great reason to see a few faces on a more regular basis... with representation from the family also... instantly a magic event in my books.

Oh did any one mention the shape of the plasma cut 2 K gong..... yup you guessed it... Toby strikes again...
    far enough south on the north isle that those southerners can make it up, maybe hold it on toby's birthday or near to it.
    Muckos Shooting accessories and engineering https://www.facebook.com/aimnzengineering/

2 km I would have to shoot then find my projectile reload it and shoot it again like playing golf
    Spanners, puku, 7mmsaum and 7 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.