Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Weekend hunt in urewera

  1. #1
    Member outinabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hunua, Papakura
    Posts
    81

    Weekend hunt in urewera

    after the crap weather all week at work and checking the forecast 50 times. Me and two mates decided to pack up the truck Friday night and head to our favorite spring hunting spot in the urewera. Saturday dawned fine and i headed out to hunt a nice little side creek. It was encouraging to see plenty of fresh sign around and heaps of feed. I hunted slowly up the creek checking all the clearings on the way up, after about an hour I knew i was getting to the last of the good grass and my hopes started fading of finding a deer in the creek i was in. I was just going through plan b in my mind when i stepped up out of the creek and looked across to the last grass bench and a stag picked up his head as was staring at me between two punga ferns.I closed the bolt on the jw and drilled him through the neck at about 30m. The 7.62 pole axed him and I had myself some real nice meat for the freezer,Went to grab the camera and realised i left it back a the hut... Typical... the time you dont have it! the head was only a small six pointer but i was still stoked all the same. I carried him out to the mouth of the creek and wandered back to the hut for a well deserved brew. My mate saw three hinds and missed the shot, we were all keen as mustard to get back out late afternoon. About midday the wind got up and made stalking really difficult, so no more deer were seen for the trip but was a great weekend and we will be back soon!

    Name:  stag pic.JPG
Views: 746
Size:  158.6 KB
    veitnamcam, Dundee, Munsey and 7 others like this.
    Hey diddle diddle, aim for the middle.

  2. #2
    Member HILLBILLYHUNTERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    120
    Well done mate,how do you find the JW.

  3. #3
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    20,046
    Good stuff :thumbup:

    Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

  4. #4
    OPCz Rushy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Posts
    27,848
    Quote Originally Posted by outinabout View Post
    after the crap weather all week at work and checking the forecast 50 times. Me and two mates decided to pack up the truck Friday night and head to our favorite spring hunting spot in the urewera. Saturday dawned fine and i headed out to hunt a nice little side creek. It was encouraging to see plenty of fresh sign around and heaps of feed. I hunted slowly up the creek checking all the clearings on the way up, after about an hour I knew i was getting to the last of the good grass and my hopes started fading of finding a deer in the creek i was in. I was just going through plan b in my mind when i stepped up out of the creek and looked across to the last grass bench and a stag picked up his head as was staring at me between two punga ferns.I closed the bolt on the jw and drilled him through the neck at about 30m. The 7.62 pole axed him and I had myself some real nice meat for the freezer,Went to grab the camera and realised i left it back a the hut... Typical... the time you dont have it! the head was only a small six pointer but i was still stoked all the same. I carried him out to the mouth of the creek and wandered back to the hut for a well deserved brew. My mate saw three hinds and missed the shot, we were all keen as mustard to get back out late afternoon. About midday the wind got up and made stalking really difficult, so no more deer were seen for the trip but was a great weekend and we will be back soon!

    Attachment 14840
    Well done outnabout
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    2,175
    Good stuff. Must have been a heavy bugger to take back to the hut
    Hunt4life likes this.
    Yeah nah bro

    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

  6. #6
    Member sako75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Supercity
    Posts
    4,867
    I was thinking how heavy it must have been while his mate put the stick through the back legs. Neat idea

    How many hours do you drive to the part of Ureweras you go to?
    Took me 8hr each way to National Park on last weekend with a couple of pick ups and drop offs on the way

  7. #7
    Member Scouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    JAFA
    Posts
    4,474
    Well done outinabout, nice freezer filler right there!!!!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

  8. #8
    Member Hunt4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Katikati
    Posts
    624
    Nice work and yep, looks like a heavy carry

  9. #9
    Member outinabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hunua, Papakura
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by HILLBILLYHUNTERS View Post
    Well done mate,how do you find the JW.
    yeah im pretty happy with it, for a $400 dollar rifle.Its no tack driver but affordable enough to shoot heaps of rounds through, only $60 for 100 rounds of soft point barnaul. Perfect for bush hunting. I altered the mag from 5 shot to 3 cause the 5 shot sticks out right on the balance point where you want to carry it. I reckon its lighter than the sako finnlight i had. Planning to pass it on to my son for his first centerfire and hopefully to nail his first deer.
    Scouser likes this.
    Hey diddle diddle, aim for the middle.

  10. #10
    OPCz Rushy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Posts
    27,848
    Quote Originally Posted by HILLBILLYHUNTERS View Post
    Well done mate,how do you find the JW.
    Welcome aboard HBH
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

  11. #11
    Member outinabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hunua, Papakura
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    I was thinking how heavy it must have been while his mate put the stick through the back legs. Neat idea

    How many hours do you drive to the part of Ureweras you go to?
    Took me 8hr each way to National Park on last weekend with a couple of pick ups and drop offs on the way
    wow 8 hours thats a haul! we hunt not far from murapara, its about a four hour drive and about $50 bucks each in the rocky.
    seen/got any good heads in national park?
    Hey diddle diddle, aim for the middle.

  12. #12
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    20,046
    Man I would be dam near suicidal if i had to drive 8 or even 4 hours to go for a hunt!
    kiwi39 and Gibo like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

  13. #13
    OCD Gravity Test Specialist kiwi39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Kapiti, Wellington
    Posts
    1,806
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Man I would be dam near suicidal if i had to drive 8 or even 4 hours to go for a hunt!
    Amen to that.

    I remember driving from our place in Switzerland to the missus grandparents in Germany , 1050 Kim's door to door.

    Left home at 1600 and pulled up st the front door in hamburg at 0030 to a well earned schnapps und bier.

    That and 4 days and nights of Omas cooking was the only thing that made it worth. Otherwise a mind numbing slog even at an average of 120kph.

    Hate driving long distance.
    Hate hate hate

  14. #14
    OCD Gravity Test Specialist kiwi39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Kapiti, Wellington
    Posts
    1,806
    Nice animal. Well done. Did you get or sense any aggro in the urewera ??

  15. #15
    Member outinabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hunua, Papakura
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi39 View Post
    Nice animal. Well done. Did you get or sense any aggro in the urewera ??
    Never, been hunting the area since i was 18 (quite a while) no problems.Only met good buggers in the bush. did have the car broken into once but hey that happens everywhere.
    kiwi39 likes this.
    Hey diddle diddle, aim for the middle.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. closing weekend this weekend
    By Nathan F in forum Game Bird Hunting
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 28-07-2013, 08:55 PM
  2. easter weekend goat hunt
    By holdenhell in forum The Magazine
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-04-2013, 07:46 PM
  3. Labour Weekend Pig hunt
    By quadhunter260 in forum The Magazine
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 18-11-2012, 10:07 PM
  4. If you hunt the Urewera's, Shame on you
    By Philipo in forum Hunting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 21-04-2012, 10:33 PM
  5. Weekend Hunt
    By outdoorlad in forum The Magazine
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 23-02-2012, 10:11 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!