Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree32Likes
  • 11 Post By Looseunit
  • 3 Post By veitnamcam
  • 2 Post By Frosty
  • 3 Post By veitnamcam
  • 2 Post By TJM
  • 1 Post By Looseunit
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam
  • 4 Post By Dougie
  • 5 Post By oneshot

Thread: Weekend Walk - Spring is here

Weekend Walk - Spring is here

Having to do a mad rush on Friday night to pick up the ute after having the engine repaired meant we were late getting away and it was just after dark by the time we reached camp, The weather was mint, warm and calm, we had already seen 6 deer on the drive in various farmers paddocks and it seemed the deer were out enjoying the weather and the lush spring growth.
    It was just after light broke the horizon , Dave was the first to start scanning the bush edge with his binos soon calling he had spotted animals , two hinds and yearlings were out taking in a last few mouthfuls before retreating back into the scrub cover . After a quick coffee we started climbing to the bush edge to glass more country, on the way up we spot a lone stag feeding along a face about 900m away, by the looks of him he was sporting a good solid rack for this time of year and I’m sure he was a 12, but was safe as we weren’t shooting velvet stags, another hind and yearling were feeding in a gut further round.
    Name:  stag.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  37.0 KB
    We made the top look out with abit of heavy breathing. It was only 6.30am and the temp was already hot, two small stags were spotted feeding across the face where the 4 deer were first thing and we watched as a 6pt bucked around trying to clear some foliage that was wrapped around his antlers, I rang my mate to fill him in on the trip he was missing, not sure if it was the fact he was stuck at home or that I had woken him up that he was pissed at  .
    Along the ridge track we spy a spiker feeding the bush edge and the plan was hatched to sneak in abit closed and get Dave a shot to check out the new hand load performance , unfortunately even though he was looking into the rising sun he still spotted us and moved off over the ridge , not been too spooked we followed and he was soon spotted feeding into some scrub in a creek below us , we sat for ages keeping an eye out for him to reappear but either he had bedded down or snuck away without us seeing we decided to leave him and return in the afternoon for a second look.
    Name:  stag2.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  466.4 KB
    We returned to camp for a break from the heat and soon were dozing away, only to be woken by the sound of rain on the plastic roof. About 4 we again climbed to the bush edge but this time we were greeted by a cold southerly and bands of rain blowing across so decided to drop down to another lookout and watch a clearing in the valley , it was a lot more sheltered and the sign was good . Soon we glassed a hind bedded down in some scrub 350m across the valley and it was decided that she was coming home for Xmas, Dave settled in and soon had her on the deck. After retrieving her the wind had dropped and we again climbed to the top, two spikers were spotted in the same area as the morning one and we made the move to get in closer before dark, unfortunately they must have caught out scent and made a retreat leaving us the long walk back to camp.
    Name:  stag3.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  55.1 KB
    The next day was like we were in a different world , the weather was cold and damp and not a deer was seen for the morning so we were happy to pack up and head for home , We will return in a month to chase a few more around and hopefully catch up with the big boy.

sorry about the quality of the photos , distance was abit much

Good yarn Looseunit, sounds like youve got a good spot there, well done mate....
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Nice read

Good yarn thanks but I cant agree with taking a hind over a stag at this time of year, seems to be a lot of it on the forum lately too.
    sakokid, Gapped axe and BRADS like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Good yarn thanks but I cant agree with taking a hind over a stag at this time of year, seems to be a lot of it on the forum lately too.
    What do you mean? Are you worried the hinds are preggers and a few people have been shooting hinds?

I think staying home and not shooting anything is the safest option, I've gotten a fair bit of shit for shooting a velvet 12pointer.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    What do you mean? Are you worried the hinds are preggers and a few people have been shooting hinds?

I think staying home and not shooting anything is the safest option, I've gotten a fair bit of shit for shooting a velvet 12pointer.
    Its only homos that wish they could've shot it that'll have a sook and give you shit. Don't worry about other what peoples morals are regarding what to shoot and not to shoot, just do wot you want to do. Id rather sit at home with a guts full of tasty meat than sit there hungry cause I left a pregnant hind/velvety behind for someone else to shoot.
    There is that many deer around at the moment its unreal. Live it up I reckon, as hunters we ain't never going to shoot them all.
    falconhell and Scouser like this.

I am talking about the fawn starving to death.
    Gapped axe, BRADS and Gibo like this.

TJM
    Agreed Veitnamcam,,, you can understand a newbee that has never shot a deer before taking any thing that moves but once you have got past this phase most of us think about the consequence of a shot. A starving fawn is not something I would want on my conscience now.
    veitnamcam and BRADS like this.

I for one couldnt give a shit about peoples own morals , We saw 14 deer in one day and harvested ONE for venison , the only reason the fat stag wasnt taken as i would like a decent head to hang on the wall but i am a meat harvester not an internet wannabe , each to their own but the haters can piss off and wait for velveties to go hard and fawns to grow up before they do thier once a year hunt . if you are just going to give people shit then dont expect stories to be posted up .
    Frosty likes this.

Ignore the wet blanket miserable moaning pricks Dougie. You have every right to be proud of your achievement.

As I suggested after your great post, keep an eye out for his Daddy and plan for the coming roar. Hot barrels mate.

I liked your post,bit sensitive arnt you?

I merely expressed my feelings about leaving a fawn to starve.
    14 deer you must have had a choice and you made one, As you said each to there own.
    kiwi39 likes this.

sorry I didn't mean to start a shit fight, just a newbie interested in people's opinions! Cheers Cam, yeah I am getting into the bow stuff and keen to whack some small animals but still struggling a bit with the whole taking time to bleed to death factor of bigger deer with a bow...a good friend of mine said "you can't eat antlers" when I told him about getting shit for my velvety. I like that.

I have always thought the trophy is in the story, not the head.

And first and foremost I'm out for the experience first, meat second and whatever else comes, comes!
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

sorry I didn't mean to start a shit fight, just a newbie interested in people's opinions! Cheers Cam, yeah I am getting into the bow stuff and keen to whack some small animals but still struggling a bit with the whole taking time to bleed to death factor of bigger deer with a bow...a good friend of mine said "you can't eat antlers" when I told him about getting shit for my velvety. I like that.

I have always thought the trophy is in the story, not the head.

And first and foremost I'm out for the experience first, meat second and whatever else comes, comes!

I'm a firm believer in not eating antlers, and your right a trophy can be the story, the experience, and a large framed photo in my opinion is just as valuable as a head on the wall.
    veitnamcam, Dougie, GWH and 2 others like this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Yeah your right Dougie , There are plenty out there that will bitch at just about anything , they obviously don't shoot much because deer are either pregnant , with fawn , velvet , breeding , too skinny , smelly etc etc . I have yet to taste a difference (except roaring stags) each to thier own , keep doing what you do and the stories coming for the whiners to moan at .