Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Wet and windy weekend of hunting

Wet and windy weekend of hunting

A couple of mates I haven't hunted with for a long time came over on Sunday and we shot into the hills for an overnighter.

Our plans were to glass five main catchments, that all had nice looking head basins. I'd previously looked into one of the main valleys only once, seeing no animals that time, so this trip was purely reconnaissance. But the hope that a big stag might be out in the tops was a major draw card.

We packed light, and after about 6 hours on the hill we'd found somewhere flat and out of the cold wind to camp for the night. As we set up camp the first spits of rain, which would be the first of many, fell from the sky...

With camp set up we shot off down the ridge for a hunt, as the heavens opened and the gale picked up. Each time we stopped to glass we had to hide behind a rock or down a bluff to shelter from the wind and rain. Shit it was cold!

Wasn't long before Pip had picked up scent on the wind, and after a fair bit of glassing we spotted a young 8 point stag bedded down on a slip opposite us. He was alone, and spent most of his time feeding. He was the only animal we saw that evening, as I think the weather kept most of them under the cover of the bush.

It was a long, wet and windy night out in the tops. Sleep was hard to come by, so as soon as the light of dawn came we were up the hill glassing some more likely looking country.

Thankfully the rain has stopped and we'd started to dry off. Soon enough we picked up a group of three reds out feeding on the bush edge. Two hinds and a stag. The stag was small, so we watched them for a while then moved on.

As we headed towards the next catchment we got into some neat Chamois country and sat to glass.

Within moments of sitting, we'd spotted a group of Chamois. We snuck a bit closer to get a few photos, as none of them were mature animals, nor were they our target species. They weren't too bothered about us, but eventually moved off up into the bluffs.

Leaving the chamois, we started heading back towards home. By now we could see the rain rolling in from the west. The boys heading into Fiordland would be having a rough start! Within a couple of hours we were drenched, wet to the skin, so we bee lined it for the truck.

Keen to still get an animal for the freezer if we could, we dropped into a gully of beech and hunted our way up it. Even in the bush it was soaking, and we weren't to hopeful of finding a deer. We stumbled across a wallow that'd been freshly used, so kept following a deer trail thru the bush.

Minutes later, Blake had dropped to his knee and lined up on a deer I'd yet to see. One shot and we had some meat to take home. The best part, the carry was only a few hundred metres to the truck!

Regardless of the substandard weather, and relative lack of animals for the amount of country we covered, it was a good trip, well overdue.

The next 5-6 weeks are booked up, so here's hoping for cold settled weather and less of the wet stuff for the roar!

Josh
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Good stuff, looked like nice country to be out in, apart from the weather.

Was mint when the sun shone between the torrential rain showers
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Looks like a good recce there Josh, great photos of the chams.....
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Caretaker
    great pic of the dog
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Josh whats the brand of that dog coat? Want to get one for the GSP when shes a bit bigger

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian_Hunter View Post
    Josh whats the brand of that dog coat? Want to get one for the GSP when shes a bit bigger
    It's an Avery one. Been bloody good. Zip handle broke in the weekend, but its lasted longer than the others I've tried.

You may have to cut the front leg holes bigger to prevent rubbing. I also found that if she wears it while wet for a good day or so, her skin on her belly and underarms (legs) gets irritated. A good dose of Vaseline on the jacket seems to fix this problem.

Avery Dog Vest | eBay

Cool report Josh as to be expected from you

Great report JoshC
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Good on ya Josh. Great report
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

cheers mate, what size did you go with?

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian_Hunter View Post
    cheers mate, what size did you go with?
    I think its a medium. She's a small bitch, but this one is very snug fitting. A larger would've been better in hindsight.

Argh makes me wish I was back there!

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Short carry after a big walk, sounds fair to me.

Nice looking country again.

Cheers

Dino
    veitnamcam and JoshC like this.
    "If God wanted us to be vegetarian....why did he make meat taste so good?"

Show off!