Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: What I'm learning from the Kaimais

What I'm learning from the Kaimais

As the title suggests I'm learning a few things from that wonderful playground The Kaimais, as I'm getting back into hunting and learning everything over again, I'm realising I really didn't know much to start out with! So here's a few things I've been learned by the hills so far,
    1. Supple jack does not care that you want to go in a certain direction, go around or be prepared to travel at half the speed of smell.
    2. There really is no need to go look at every creek and stream in the catchment , you think it's a good idea going downhill but when forced to climb back up a dodgy cliff, cos the stream turned into a sheer drop waterfall of broken leg doom!! you realise that water, although very picturesque can lead you into some peril.
    3. You can lie through your teeth to anyone about the state of your fitness, but you can't fool a hill !!
    4. Deer in the Kaimais are far smarterer than I am and have beaten me thus far, been in a few times now, deer 2 Me 0, Actually deer 3, Sat and watched the rear end of a hind through the scope for about 2 minutes waiting for it to stand up only to realise it was already deceased ( had been shot through the neck and not recovered ) must admit I thought I was super ninja stalker getting so close to this animal without disturbing it, so was a big slap back down to earth when I finally realised the truth
    5. And this is the most important one! Bush hunting is challenging but Damn it's Fun !!! You can't beat being in the bush.
    Even when the bush is a steep, supplejack infested nightmare with super smart deer.
    Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tahr, sako75, veitnamcam and 14 others like this.

Now need to learn how to post photos properly
    Boar Freak, Hunt4life and Steve123 like this.

Ejected
    Stick with it bro! Took me over a year to shoot one in there, but it was well worth it & found some awesome looking places along the way. Take secateurs.

Always be prepared to spend a night out, and carry spare batteries for your headlight

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Stick with it bro! Took me over a year to shoot one in there, but it was well worth it & found some awesome looking places along the way. Take secateurs.
    Haha yep, picking a likely looking spot on map and heading to it has lead me to some awesome, annnnnnd not so awesome places
    I geuss that's the challenge and fun of not knowing an area
    WallyR likes this.

Yes it all looks so easy on the map

Keep trying you will win someday, as you said being there is half the fun because when you get one the hard work starts getting it out.
    Hunt4life likes this.

What I'm learning from the Kaimais

Moved to eastern Kaimai foothills almost two years ago and after about a dozen day walks am still yet to see a deer in the bush. So I feel your frustration brother!
    I am lucky enough to live by a river and have shot a spiker 250m from my back deck, but only see deer in October for the Spring flush then they move back up into the shite where they're safe...at least from you and me it would seem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a good place to learn. If you can get deer in there you will get them any were.
    kimjon and Hunt4life like this.

Nice one Hunt4life wish I lived that close, getting up at stupid o'clock to get up the hill before first light hurts the next day
    I've definetly found where they are just need to be there, when they are. Sounds simple enough hahaha
    Actually a question for anyone willing to part knowledge, will the deer be feeding at night in this full moon therefore not being at their browsing sites early morning and be bedding down during the day feeding arvo into the night
    Any thoughts ??

Name:  006.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  461.9 KBName:  019.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  1.09 MBName:  020.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  1,020.7 KBName:  026.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  848.4 KB
    Steve123 likes this.

Nice photos bonecrusher awesome country right there
    Will most likely be in there tomorrow weather dependant will take a few pics an post em up

Your attitude is spot on for a bush hunter....having a sense of humour is more important than your rifle, simply because you will use it more..........good luck and be safe!!!!!
    Tommy likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Name:  Maramarua #2.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  1.15 MB

Riding this tomorrow :-) I was thinking about going in for a hunt this afternoon but weather is brewing up, interesting article from Twig & Tweet re Hunters behavior at the blade I have had a yarn with him regarding laying poison and perhaps looking at alternative methods as Kiwi are present but he was only interested in hearing his own voice so no traction so Pengy he is a pom that shouldn't have been allowed to immigrate to NZ someone ripped his sign off I wonder who he offended

Name:  The Blade Article.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  1.03 MB
    Last edited by Bonecrusher; 11-08-2017 at 03:20 PM.

To answer your question regarding the full moon effect on animals is that during the full moon phase the deer feed over larger areas ( usually you see more sign around during this phase) but the deer because they have feed well during the night usually move into cover before daylight and come out just after dark. Obviously there are always exceptions and you do get them early in the morning and before dark.
    The no moon phase is better for morning and evening hunting, generally.
    Still they have to be there so better to be out there any time of the day than at home, I am amazed at the number of deer we get on the trail camera's during all times of the day and night. Big stags as well.