Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 10 Post By Rusky
  • 1 Post By craigc
  • 1 Post By Nick-D

Thread: Winter challenge

Winter challenge

The week was rolling by and saturday was penciled in for a Kaimai hunt. The weather unfortunately looked to be a wet one, but I soon came to the conclusion that a wet day in the bush is better then a day on the couch. I had recently purchased a Ridgeline Torrent II Jacket and hadn't tested it out in the rain so was eager to see how it would perform. The idea of hunting in the tight bush with constant rain to me is the ultimate challenge. The deer are normally beded down in the thick stuff, the constant rain drops falling throughout the bush numbs your hearing capabilities, and light is drastically reduced under both cloud and the canopy above. This to me is the hardest form of hunting and is testament to both mental and physical endurance.

The hunt started with lots of sign about, some being fresh and a few stag rubbings. The rain was persistent now and it looked like it would stick around for the day. The challenge was to identify areas worth investigating. The open swampy areas were void of deer and the out-skirts didn't bode much either. I decided to follow a ridgeline and sidle around likely looking gully's and drop down to a punga dry creek bed. On approaching I could smell a deer, it was very close probably 20m or less away. The wind was working in my favor but as I crept forward I lost the scent and concluded it had seen/heard my approach and snuck off. The hours were ticking by and I hadn't seen or heard anything. The rain was getting heavier and it was time to stop and eat some lunch and reassess my options. The plan was to continue to sidle around a stream and hope something would turn up. I was approaching a waterfall and my options were running out, and as I approached the last gully I heard an almighty crash as an animal ran off. No sighting of this animal through the thick stuff but it smelt much like a stag. It was now late afternoon with 7 hours gone by and daylight would soon run out, so I had started to make my way in the direction of a track and decided I would quietly make my way along a northern facing ridge. The sun was trying to poke through the clouds and I could make out a small opening ahead and slowed right down to a few steps at a time eyes fixed on the opening. I was within 25m of it and stopped and looked into the adjoining bush below. I walked a few more steps and turned back to the opening and there as plain as day was a hind beded down its face white in the sun and its jaw chewing on some bush tucker. I brought the 223 up, the deer was oblivious to my presence and the wind was in my face so I had time. I opted not for a head shot as this was all I could see and these have never worked for me and instead decided to whistle and get her to stand. She stood, as well as her mate looking for the danger. Steady as I could I squeezed off a round in the vital area and she ran into some adjacent bush and there was some crashing. The shot was good and I soon had a pile of venison to deal to. I had 1 hour of boning out to do and another hour to make it to the safety of the track before daylight vanished. A quick bone out, and a heavy pack I bush bashed hard and fast and was on the track quickly with ample time to spare for the walk out to the car. The ridgeline jacket performed great being warm and waterproof, its hard to tell if thats sweat or a bit of moisture getting through but it was certainly nothing to worry about and I would recommend it to anyone. This to me was the hardest deer I have worked for and makes me appreciate the easy days that's for sure.

Name:  Kaimai.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  493.1 KB
    Shootm, Bryan, HUNTY and 7 others like this.

A well earned deer; I bet that made the beer taste better.
    Rusky likes this.

Geez Rusky, you're sounding like a pro now with a nose to give a pointer a run for its money....

Nice man!
    Was just about to text you and see if you made it out. Will try get out for a day hunt this weekend, but looks like I might have to work. Hopefully still make the range on sunday (weather dependant) if you are keen
    Rusky likes this.

Lost For Time
    Big day and worth the effort, Well done mate.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt !