Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree35Likes
  • 19 Post By Norway
  • 3 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Trout
  • 1 Post By outdoorlad
  • 1 Post By Shearer
  • 1 Post By Stag
  • 1 Post By Seventenths
  • 2 Post By JohnDuxbury
  • 1 Post By trooper90
  • 1 Post By RV1
  • 1 Post By Mooseman
  • 3 Post By Norway

Thread: Winter chamois hunt with traditional singleshot rifle

Winter chamois hunt with traditional singleshot rifle

Chamois in Croatia.

Shot my first chamois on South Island many years ago. This is a somewhat limited opportunity hunt in Europe, but after much effort I was able to go out alone.
    Nothing special about this hunt really, just me finally shooting a chamois with a traditional break-open (kipplauf) single shot rifle.
    At best, this film is just a different perspective to your domestic hunting.

Well done, I missed the only chamois I shot at with my K95.

laughed like heck with you cleaning barrel to remove snow....havent we all been there at least once??...the taste of gun oil on lips after trying to blow it out isnt pleasant...a wee bit of insulation tape sure would have looked like smart more right about then.
    enjoyed the video thankyou.
    Norway, Moa Hunter and RV1 like this.

Good effort on the chami,what buitifull country you hunt in.Thanks for vid.
    Norway likes this.

Chamois love that steep country, well done Norway
    Norway likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Nice video. +1 for the insulation tape.
    Norway likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Nice, it looks bloody cold.

Still plenty here to come chase.
    Norway likes this.

I enjoyed that video as it bought back memories of when I saw my first chamois on the side of the road in the Austrian Alps where I've been captivated by them ever since.

Ironically my two boys (14 & 16) both shot their first chamois earlier on in the past week.
    Norway likes this.

I like how he plans his climbing so if he falls he always lands on his balls. Norway is a tough character.
    Norway and RV1 like this.

Nice filming beautiful country I enjoyed it thanks
    Norway likes this.

RV1
    Great video - thanks for sharing!
    Norway likes this.

Great viewing and in some beautiful country. Looks to be a few animals about.
    Norway likes this.

Sorry for the late reply guys, I get error code "Forbidden" when I try to access the forum via cellphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    laughed like heck with you cleaning barrel to remove snow....havent we all been there at least once??...the taste of gun oil on lips after trying to blow it out isnt pleasant...a wee bit of insulation tape sure would have looked like smart more right about then.
    enjoyed the video thankyou.
    Yeah, I usually bring tape (you'll see it in the next episode) but simply forgot on this trip. Finding the rifle had lost its zero put a certain stress on me, not knowing the extent of the error until I found the loose screws. Thankfully my pre-firing check (look over the rifle muzzle-bipod-scope-load the round-safety off) caught the plugged barrel.

But the whole thing will be a good learning example for someone else. I was just lucky the chamois didn't go too far, if they had started traversing the steep stuff again it would have cost me my hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Good effort on the chami,what buitifull country you hunt in.Thanks for vid.
    Croatia can be quite beautiful. This is not too far from the Velebit national park. Further north, in Slovenia, it is even more beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    Chamois love that steep country, well done Norway
    Surprisingly this area holds a decent population of wolves and bears too. The bears are no issue, but the wolves sometimes push the chamois over large distances and into the steepest areas. And they wreak havoc on the management plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Nice video. +1 for the insulation tape.
    Thanks & fully noted

Quote Originally Posted by Stag View Post
    Nice, it looks bloody cold.

Still plenty here to come chase.
    Working on it., but NZ isn't the easiest travel destination. The car said -8°C in the valley and I got an "ice helmet" when I was sweating in the wind, but on the lee side it was actually very nice in the sun. Thankfully little glaced/iced snow on the cliff, so it was very straightforward to get across. Once you got into the windswept cliff it was actually easier to climb than walk down in the forest.

Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    I enjoyed that video as it bought back memories of when I saw my first chamois on the side of the road in the Austrian Alps where I've been captivated by them ever since.

Ironically my two boys (14 & 16) both shot their first chamois earlier on in the past week.
    About the same as me then. Almost 20 years ago I hunted with local SI hunters (Jansen/Clayton), and seeing how they hunted/filmed their hunts altered my course and put me where I am today. Shaun showed me on Google Earth how to search for chamois and gave me a location I could try. Nothing short of life-changing.

Good luck top your boys, they have many rewards ahead if they include mountain hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDuxbury View Post
    I like how he plans his climbing so if he falls he always lands on his balls. Norway is a tough character.
    Kind words, but my balls are really not much at risk. Wife took them years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by trooper90 View Post
    Nice filming beautiful country I enjoyed it thanks
    It's lovely. Hopefully I'll be able to do the area more justice next year. Plan to go a bit earlier so the batteries don't die so fast and will bring a better lens to film the animals better.

Quote Originally Posted by RV1 View Post
    Great video - thanks for sharing!
    Thanks, glad you enjoyed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Great viewing and in some beautiful country. Looks to be a few animals about.
    It's a decent population, but somewhat vulnerable as they are pressured by wolves and humans. For this reason, they shoot only 3 in this management area.
    Mooseman, Stag and kukuwai like this.