Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Worth the wait, got my eight

Worth the wait, got my eight

Our usual annual Kaweka trip was a bit different this year, I had a new partner and no Eva the Vizsla. The trip in the black bird was a rush as the northerly and cloud made the trip a little bit longer than normal. We stashed out kit in the six bunk hut and then headed out towards the Manson as that was the way the wind told us to go. The trip down and up the short cut track was uneventful apart form the fact that I reckon it gets steeper each year. We made it to the top and sat under the Beech trees, that 100's of hunters have probably glassed up the Manson Creek from. No sooner had my butt hit the deck I said to Ben, there's one, it's got tops, I'm going to shoot it. Where he said! Down there in the creek 700 yards away... we planned a stalk and retreated to buy some cover. Down we went hugging the slope as we attempted to get close enough to measure him. As I popped over the last ridge, the wind swirled around and I could not find him; in the twenty minutes that it had taken us to get down there, he must have moved. Then out of the corner of my eye at 150 yards I spied movement, a Sika stag heading for the bush. I had only enough time to take off my pack, lay down and track the stag in my VX5. At 170 yards he was about to melt into the bush, never to be seen again; I placed the cross hairs between his shoulders and squeezed the trigger, a resounding 'whack' came back as he disappeared into the bush. Did you get him, an excited Ben exclaimed, I think I did I replied.
    We walked down to where he crossed the creek and went into the bush, Ben sent in the recently Deer Dog Blueprinted Tess and called out, here he is. I arrived to see a velvet eight point fat young stag laying in the bush 20 yards from where I shot him. I later found the 150 ELDX projectile sitting under the skin on his brisket, after it travelled there from his kidneys, a perfect (under the circumstances) kill shot. The 19 inch Hardy barrelled Tikka .284 WIN had shot its first Sika and a stag at that, it's now my new favourite rifle, but in reality I have a few favourites! To say I was elated was an understatement, I'd been looking for an eight, and turning up other animals for quite some time. We hauled him out of the bush, after taking some photos and took some more photos before breaking him down.
    Name:  DSCN0784.JPG
Views: 1071
Size:  6.61 MB
    The rest of the trip didn't matter to me, I would support Ben to get a deer but I'd achieve the goal of getting my first eight - a bigger one would come in the future. I put Ben onto some good animals but unforuntatly we only came home with the one deer; but as you can imagine, we had a great time in some familiar (to me) country.
    Name:  DSCN0798.JPG
Views: 1081
Size:  6.61 MB
    We traveled over to the burn and back and I may have needed a sleep after Tess barked at some noises on the deck - bloody possum!
    Name:  dJAiDXwlTDq%DdJAhTKNUA.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  4.25 MB
    My mate Ben has an interesting choice in music and this song I chose because of its title... 'Great Relief'!
    https://youtu.be/-pCFVZ1qZNw
    I booked a trip to Manson with my wife and kids for the last weekend in June to celebrate my 50th birthday and another to the Back Ridge bush bivy site for the next Sika Roar, I might just focus on a big eight now!
    Norway, Nathan F, Tahr and 42 others like this.

Well done Craig... Two firsts... A first for the rifle and a first 8 point sika
    craigc likes this.

Recognise a few of those veiws.
    Only place I have hunted in the NI.
    I have never before or since seen as much sign in the bush as I did around Otutu hut..... coastal fiordland came close.

I will be back sometime one year in the late spring or summer to tip a couple up.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Well done Craig.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Good on you Craig.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

That’s deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    That’s deserved.
    There’s another guy in my normal team that deserves it more! Silly old bugger went down south...
    Nathan F, veitnamcam, GWH and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Recognise a few of those veiws.
    Only place I have hunted in the NI.
    I have never before or since seen as much sign in the bush as I did around Otutu hut..... coastal fiordland came close.

I will be back sometime one year in the late spring or summer to tip a couple up.
    That’s certainly the case. In some places it looked like someone was running sheep in the bush. If you watch the video you’ll see the state if some of the hinds. Hunters need an upper cut and the deer need shooting. I can’t believe people blame DOC when the culling starts!

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    That’s certainly the case. In some places it looked like someone was running sheep in the bush. If you watch the video you’ll see the state if some of the hinds. Hunters need an upper cut and the deer need shooting. I can’t believe people blame DOC when the culling starts!
    A couple of years ago I was doing shit counts/veg plots around Otutu when I was working for DOC. I hardly found 2 or 3 palatable species in all of the places I did my counts coupled with pretty high ratios for my counts.
    Then I was reading the hut book as you do and there were quite a few entries of people saying stuff like 20 seen,, 0 shot, 30 seen, 0 shot...

I just don’t think actions like leaving good numbers of deer alone are good for forest health in there.

On another note, looks like a fantastic trip you had.

Well done on the 8,enjoy yr birthday coming up.

Great head Craig, well done Im definitely envious...Dont know that area at all, but...

Why does that area have high deer numbers, given that particular hut seems to be one of the most popular destinations in the kaweka hut booking system?

Is it due to its proximity of private land/managed hunting which Im assuming is Ngamatea??
    veitnamcam likes this.

Nice one,awsome spot that

Huk
    Know that feeling of the 1st 8 well done

Awesome Craig, go the 284! That hind was skinny alright, shoot the buggers.

Good stuff Craig. My best head is an eight. But its a red lol.