Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: Yessssssssssssss......8 point heaven.......

Yessssssssssssss......8 point heaven.......

Hi everyone, I would like to dedicate my first wild deer, shot on DOC land to the Forum, without the help of all the good buggers on here I would be well of the mark!!!!!!

Whirinaki forest Saturday around 1pm, I called in a roaring stag, no caller or horn, just my cupped hand and a (quite frankly) ‘dodgy roar’…….

We had heard (3 of us) a roaring stag way off in the distance from camp at night, each taking turns to practice our roars on a cut-off traffic cone!!!!!
    I’d already had two eventful days hunting, missed a shot at a spiker from 200+ mtrs, offhand shot, and two hinds that were just too fast to get a steady shot off!

I was making my way back to camp, you will know the area well Rushy (and the OPCz) coming up the DOC possum track trail, when I heard a strong roar…..
    Thinking it was my two hunting mates back at camp before me I thought little of it except that their roaring had improved!!!!!

My rifle at this time was unloaded and over my shoulder after id reapplied my sling!!!!....roar came back, I roared again expecting to see two grinning faces at any moment!!

This went on for about 5 mins as I had sat down for a breather on this steep spur, the roaring got closer but more to my right, for the first time I thought “shit, this could be a stag!!!!”….then I heard the deepest, semi growl/bellow that I have ever heard, the hairs stood up on the back on neck….’that’s no bellend blowing a plastic cone, that’s a STAG’…..just went into complete ‘hunt mode’, chambered a round, sling off, tightened my back pack, checked the wind, “brilliant, right in my face” (you beauty) and started to make my way over, giving a call every 5 mins or so, I finally cleared two guts, and I could hear him really close over the other side of a punga filled ridge…

Another quick roar from me, and it was on, I got a quick flash of dark brown as the bush & pungas started to get crashed through like a scene from Jurassic park, (velociraptors went through my adrenalin filled brain) in half excitement / half shitting myself, suddenly he was there, he moved so fast I was still in shock, he stood staring about 5 mtrs away, I lifted my scope into the long haired neck and went for the hilar area, the ‘Remuera Mocha 7-08’ (Howa 1500 U/L) sang its ‘dirge of death’ and he dropped like a stone!!!!!!!.......i was shaking like a “shitting dog”…….
    Went over he was still kicking so I fired another into his neck, it was over, I had finally shot my first wild deer, I can finally call myself a ‘HUNTER’…..

He has 8 points, almost symmetrical, but he will live on in my memory for the rest of my days, first deer, first stag, first ‘roared in’ stag……still cant believe it was me!!!!!

Took a few pics on camera & phone, and went to work, backstraps first, then the head, as I knew camp was only 10 mins away (took me 20) I went back to drop off my spoils,
    He was in great condition, as the roar is still early, so we went back for the four legs!!!!

I have a load of people to thank for the advice & encouragement they have given me, but I would really like to thank Rushy for introducing the Whirinaki forest and giving me my first ‘bush hunting’ experience and also ‘Sako 75’ who has PM me loads of advice, spots and encouragement when I thought id never get there!!!!! HUGE thanks guys

Now I wonder if @Dundee, will do me another photo favour?
    Last edited by Scouser; 31-03-2014 at 09:17 AM.
    Tahr, sako75, outdoorlad and 28 others like this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Well done chap!!!!
    Scouser likes this.

well done buddy
    Scouser likes this.
    OPCz

If in doubt double tap

YEEHAAA !!
    Good on ya Scouse. Bloody good read as well. There will be no stopping you now.
    Dont go giving Rushy too much praise though, as people may start to believe he knows what he is doing
    Scouser and Hunt4life like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Toooooo much mate! Well done!
    I was in their Friday night and sat although heard frig all.
    Caught a pig however.

Dan M
    Scouser likes this.
    Dan M

‘Remuera Mocha 7-08’

Brilliant
    Scouser likes this.

Brilliant scouser!
    That will live on in your memory banks forever.

Well done:thumbup:
    Scouser likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

MAAAATE I'm stoked for you! I nearly lost it when I read the title of your write up and your name affixed to it. You deserve it bro!!! I can't wait to see this photo - hurry up with it!!!!
    Scouser and Hunt4life like this.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Congrats Scouser,a great read. Yeah fire the photos thru,I'll get em up for you.
    gadgetman and Scouser like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    YEEHAAA !!
    Good on ya Scouse. Bloody good read as well. There will be no stopping you now.
    Dont go giving Rushy too much praise though, as people may start to believe he knows what he is doing
    thats lucky they saw something when rushy was draging my ass though the bush we didnt see any thing

still bloody nice in there though
    OPCz

If in doubt double tap

Quote Originally Posted by Dynastar27 View Post
    thats lucky they saw something when rushy was draging my ass though the bush we didnt see any thing

still bloody nice in there though
    Scouser is showing you up @Rushy
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Hi everyone, I would like to dedicate my first wild deer, shot on DOC land to the Forum, without the help of all the good buggers on here I would be well of the mark!!!!!!

Whirinaki forest Saturday around 1pm, I called in a roaring stag, no caller or horn, just my cupped hand and a (quite frankly) ‘dodgy roar’…….

We had heard (3 of us) a roaring stag way off in the distance from camp at night, each taking turns to practice our roars on a cut-off traffic cone!!!!!
    I’d already had two eventful days hunting, missed a shot at a spiker from 200+ mtrs, offhand shot, and two hinds that were just too fast to get a steady shot off!

I was making my way back to camp, you will know the area well Rushy (and the OPCz) coming up the DOC possum track trail, when I heard a strong roar…..
    Thinking it was my two hunting mates back at camp before me I thought little of it except that their roaring had improved!!!!!

My rifle at this time was unloaded and over my shoulder after id reapplied my sling!!!!....roar came back, I roared again expecting to see two grinning faces at any moment!!

This went on for about 5 mins as I had sat down for a breather on this steep spur, the roaring got closer but more to my right, for the first time I thought “shit, this could be a stag!!!!”….then I heard the deepest, semi growl/bellow that I have ever heard, the hairs stood up on the back on neck….’that’s no bellend blowing a plastic cone, that’s a STAG’…..just went into complete ‘hunt mode’, chambered a round, sling off, tightened my back pack, checked the wind, “brilliant, right in my face” (you beauty) and started to make my way over, giving a call every 5 mins or so, I finally cleared two guts, and I could hear him really close over the other side of a punga filled ridge…

Another quick roar from me, and it was on, I got a quick flash of dark brown as the bush & pungas started to get crashed through like a scene from Jurassic park, (velociraptors went through my adrenalin filled brain) in half excitement / half shitting myself, suddenly he was there, he moved so fast I was still in shock, he stood staring about 5 mtrs away, I lifted my scope into the long haired neck and went for the hilar area, the ‘Remuera Mocha 7-08’ (Howa 1500 U/L) sang its ‘dirge of death’ and he dropped like a stone!!!!!!!.......i was shaking like a “shitting dog”…….
    Went over he was still kicking so I fired another into his neck, it was over, I had finally shot my first wild deer, I can finally call myself a ‘HUNTER’…..

He has 8 points, almost symmetrical, but he will live on in my memory for the rest of my days, first deer, first stag, first ‘roared in’ stag……still cant believe it was me!!!!!

Took a few pics on camera & phone, and went to work, backstraps first, then the head, as I knew camp was only 10 mins away (took me 20) I went back to drop off my spoils,
    He was in great condition, as the roar is still early, so we went back for the four legs!!!!

I have a load of people to thank for the advice & encouragement they have given me, but I would really like to thank Rushy for introducing the Whirinaki forest and giving me my first ‘bush hunting’ experience and also ‘Sako 75’ who has PM me loads of advice, spots and encouragement when I thought id never get there!!!!! HUGE thanks guys

Now I wonder if @Dundee, will do me another photo favour?
    Savour the feeling. Good work
    Scouser likes this.

Scouser likes this.

Good shit and good story, legend
    Scouser likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    Scouser is showing you up @Rushy
    Now, now Philip, i wont bite the hand that fed me.......yet!!!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt