Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 4.0L V6 Hilux

4.0L V6 Hilux

Looking at one of these 1GR-FE hiluxes. Anyone know much about them? Seem to have a good name for reliability. Won't be a daily runner and with the fuel card I'm not too worried about the extra fuel usage over a diesel. Reliability is more important. Cheers.

Fuel card.... Hope it's a good rate. Only driven a petrol hilux once and the fuel gauge dropped noticeably between traffic lights in town

Is that the model before the current generation Hilux? Our former shearing contractor had one and clocked up 600,000 before it dropped a piston. Reckons he'd never go back to diesel. I think he repleced it with the current gen hilux V6 (which I see is no longer imported). He's sold his run now and the new guy is running Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by NZShoota View Post
    Is that the model before the current generation Hilux? Our former shearing contractor had one and clocked up 600,000 before it dropped a piston. Reckons he'd never go back to diesel. I think he repleced it with the current gen hilux V6 (which I see is no longer imported). He's sold his run now and the new guy is running Rangers.
    Yeh 05 onwards so I'll be looking at the first of the 4 litres. Heard plenty of guys getting high mileage in Aus and the US in them and most people don't seem to want to go back to diesel after owning one. None down here to test drive though which makes it a bit hard. Took a Prado out for a small run and seemed to go alright.

I'm on my third V6. First of the 4.0L Hilux's about 12 years ago as a new work truck, then a personally owned 3.4L V6 Surf, then my current personal wagon being a 2015 4.0L V6 Hilux.
    I rate them highly.

I did the math once before against my brothers Hilux diesel, and the real world cost of running the petrol over the diesel is negligible. Yes, you pay at the pump, but you don't pay in terms of RUC, maintenance and potential repair bills for injectors and/or fuel pumps (a potential problem with any of the late model high performance diesels). There is a link somewhere on here with details.

The 4.0L V6 has the reputation for being very reliable. You rarely here of problems with them, and they are strong enough to handle considerable power increases with super charging without risking the bottom end, so they have plenty of safety margin built in.
    Buy with confidence, dependent on the condition and maintenance of the particular vehicle being purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    I'm on my third V6. First of the 4.0L Hilux's about 12 years ago as a new work truck, then a personally owned 3.4L V6 Surf, then my current personal wagon being a 2015 4.0L V6 Hilux.
    I rate them highly.

I did the math once before against my brothers Hilux diesel, and the real world cost of running the petrol over the diesel is negligible. Yes, you pay at the pump, but you don't pay in terms of RUC, maintenance and potential repair bills for injectors and/or fuel pumps (a potential problem with any of the late model high performance diesels). There is a link somewhere on here with details.

The 4.0L V6 has the reputation for being very reliable. You rarely here of problems with them, and they are strong enough to handle considerable power increases with super charging without risking the bottom end, so they have plenty of safety margin built in.
    Buy with confidence, dependent on the condition and maintenance of the particular vehicle being purchased.

I agree have a new one as well. Listened to a new diesel one yesterday. If you like rattles upon cold start up you’d be fine.
    A 2017 new diesel that rattles like a 20 year old bulldozer. Hmm not for me.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

I rate them highly.

Good to hear and pretty much why I'm looking at them. Called about a tidy looking one in New Plymouth but just waiting back with confirmation on service history. Been serviced every 15k but the last one might be over due 10k so will wait and see.

10K overdue is not ideal, but I have to say that with all my V6's the oils at change out always looked as good as the day they were put in. My Surf had done 240,000Km when I sold it and the oil always came out a nice blond honey colour. If the oil on the stick is dirty, dig deeper.
    With these new high pressure common rail diesels, buy new and sell it inside the warranty period and take the depreciation hit. Way less risk than buying second hand out of warrenty.
    mikee likes this.

Those GR V6 motors if the servicing is left it forms sludge badly and the timing chains wear along with lots of other nasty stuff.
    I personally wouldn't leave them for 15k between oil changes. Seen far too many sludge up though work.
    If looked after they are a nice motor. Tons of grunt and very smooth power delivery.

Only downside was the early model (05-06?) manuals didn't have LSD rear diff (say wheel spin much?) and the later models only came out in auto.
    mrscottydog likes this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Those GR V6 motors if the servicing is left it forms sludge badly and the timing chains wear along with lots of other nasty stuff.
    I personally wouldn't leave them for 15k between oil changes. Seen far too many sludge up though work.
    If looked after they are a nice motor. Tons of grunt and very smooth power delivery.

Only downside was the early model (05-06?) manuals didn't have LSD rear diff (say wheel spin much?) and the later models only came out in auto.
    Have seen a few photos of the sludging (and consequent hole in the block) so asked the dealer to make sure it had been serviced sooner. And agree, I'd be doing oil/filter 10k max. I'm in no hurry anyway to find a good one. Will be looking for an auto as well.

Any other niggles to look for apart from normal wear and tear?

My 2015 has an open rear diff and traction control. Pain in the arse off road.

I rate them highly.

What sorta fuel economy do you get?
    Does it change much when towing?

They're awesome.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

My 2015 has an open rear diff and traction control. Pain in the arse off road.
    Hold TRC button down for more than 4 secs. Turns the TRC off for gravel road driving

If you just push the button it says off on the dash but it isn't. It'll cut back in. Holding the button down turns it off completely.
    It'll turn back on if you cycle the key, or if you push the button again
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Looked at a 120 series Prado with the 1GR in it last night. Real nice vehicle and he'd spent a bit of money getting all fluids etc done when he bought 15k ago. Felt bad when telling him it had started to sludge up. Oil wasn't a great colour either.