Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: 4WD / Family Car

4WD / Family Car

A massive can of worms i'm sure, so please keep it civil .

Later this year i'll be looking for a 4WD that will also act as a family car and for family camping trips. It'll be used in town 90% of the time. So the requirements are:

1. Not too huge for wife/parking reasons.
    2. 4WD capable enough for paddocks and tracks, sand, etc, but nothing extreme.
    3. Large enough boot space to hold gear for camping trips with 2 adults and a couple of kids.
    4. 7 seater option (not essential) with fold-up or removable chairs.
    5. Decent towing capability. Trailer should be all it would need. We don't have a boat or caravan.
    6. AUTOMATIC (edited this in. Wifey can't drive manual and it will be the end of us if I have to teach her to drive again, haha).

I'm resigned to the fact that we may eventually need a trailer to do the typical kiwi family camping trip with all of the usual crap. But is it possible with just a boot-load and maybe a roof rack or pod?

Thoughts on petrol vs diesel? Turbo diesel seems to be everyone's preference lately?

I know next to nothing about this stuff. Prado's and Patrol's are generally what i'm told when asking around. Thoughts on these? Or other suggestions. Would like to try keep it to a max of $30k.
    Last edited by MattyP; 08-03-2015 at 09:15 PM.

Can get the whole family and camping gear plus two big dogs in my landcruiser, not really parking friendly tho. Delete the two dogs would get away with smaller.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I'll have a quick go... we have been looking around the $25K mark and so far have researched a Pajero and Pathfinder (around 2005) as more off road capable but probably really don't need a (big) 4wd... the other road type options were a Captiva and Kia Sorento... (2010). I have only really been looking for a little bit but the Sorento is winning so far and the 2.2l diesel has good engine specs... 145kw and 445nm... I heard the 2l diesel Captiva is no good. Haven't looked too much at petrol options yet. We will use it nearly 100% for road use though. Will be following the post to see what might help me too.
    MattyP likes this.

Yeah I think the cruisers are too big for us...seem to cost a lot more too.

I'm looking for a similar vehicle. But around 20k, I have been looking at smaller SUV like the Forrester since 90% driving to work
    Being over gunned is under rated.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Vapour2209

Mitsi outlander, bit small in the boot though. Not that high for off road, but so far ok with road tires. Does have 7 seats, but havent used the boot ones yet, have pulled a toyota out of the mud - but wouldnt rate it as a 4 wd, fuel at 8.4l per 100km driving average, stereo is rather good (both for the wiggles and kings of leon), Missis likes the heated seats( and rather nice if sore back...), towing for boat is good, auto with paddles are great - auto normal and paddles when you need/want to drive. Oh and ok around town(99% of time)
    MattyP and madmaori like this.

Nissan Terrano's very good value for vehicle. Not 7 seater though. But comfortable family wagon that can be used for hunting trips.
    Toyota Surf's similar size etc just they hold their prices more.
    Toyota Prado's might be the only realistic option if you want 7 seats and to fill the rest of your requirements.
    Patrol's/Safari's big trucks like Landcruiser's. Not city centre car park friendly.

Turbo diesel Vs petrol another big issue to decide on.
    Unless doing lots of K's or towing heaps, petrol might be cheaper in long run. Diesels also don't like short, round town school run, shopping trip type driving.
    In the type of vehicle ranges you're looking at there are far more diesels available, and the petrols tend to be thirsty.
    MattyP likes this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Nissan Terrano's very good value for vehicle. Not 7 seater though. But comfortable family wagon that can be used for hunting trips.
    Just avoid the 3.0 diesel ZD30 hand grenade motor eh! 2.7 and 3.2 solid though.
    cambo and gadgetman like this.

Split the budget between a town run about and a 4x4?
    Dougie and MattyP like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I am looking for something similar as an upgrade to my trusty 3.2 Terrano I have had for 10 yrs+. I have looked at the Hyundi/ Kia, Pajero, and pathfinder.

The Hyundi and Kia both have small boots. I liked the Pajero with the big 3.2 diesel in it. But as a 4wd that will spend most of its time on Highway, I have settled on the Pathfinder.

I would be interested to know though, how people get on with the high pressure common rail. I have been told that you must get it serviced every 100 000km ....at a cost of $5-6k....... Any info would be appreciated
    MattyP likes this.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight....your tactics suck

Thanks for the comments everyone - keep em coming!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Split the budget between a town run about and a 4x4?
    We will probably need to get her something else too. We messed up a couple of years ago when we bought a Toyota Ist. Good little town car but just doesn't have the room for baby capsules in the back - we didn't think they'd use as much room as they do. One can't go behind wherever I sit, and only just fits behind my wife - she has to move her seat right forward and sit with her knees to the side.

We may be able to keep hers if I get something that suits all those other requirements. Then worst comes to worst she can just take the 4WD with the kids and I drive hers to work.

Need the family car 4WD for the family camping trips, so can't really go Ute or i'd be keen for a Hilux.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyP View Post
    Need the family car 4WD for the family camping trips, so can't really go Ute or i'd be keen for a D-Max.
    Fixed the spelling for you.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

4WD / Family Car

We have an SR5 with back pack, would that be too big? I think it was around the $27k mark, 2004. Fits four adults, dog, 4 guns and camping gear just fine.

Parking is a breeze compared to my ute, power steering for the win! Also has pump up seat thingy so I can see over the steering wheel.

Is diesel, good on gas. Speedo is faulty from time to time though....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Suzuki Grand Vitara?? The 3ltr V6 model has plenty of grunt.

We have the top of the range 2011 2.4ltr version as our main family car and it ticks a lot of your boxes.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

Here hear !!!
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.