Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 4x4 buying advice

4x4 buying advice

Hi guys,

I’m after a bit of advice around buying my first 4x4. I’ve hunted all my life so far without a 4x4 and have done ok, but has involved a lot more walking or missing out on some access opportunities. I separated almost a year ago, so now it’s time to get stuck into some real adventure, so I’m in the market for a 4x4.

After recommendations for a reliable wagon that won’t break the bank. It’ll only be me and my daughter so I don’t think I need a 4 door anything. Have just bought a house so will be doing a bit of DIY and moving building materials as well as carrying a Canadian canoe to the river for canoe adventures.

Nick

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    93-95 Surf are usually pretty reliable, get you most places you need to go. Or a Nissan Navara single cab with a TD27, not the fastest but again very reliable.

whats not breaking the bank?
    tetawa likes this.

I’m thinking $20k, but as cheap as possible....

If you got the time,watch turners car auctions.Pick up a x government hilux or something.Some of these trucks have never been off the road and nursed all their lifes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter_Nick View Post
    ...Have just bought a house so will be doing a bit of DIY and moving building materials as well...

Nick
    Stick with a ute. Im doing the same thing right now (house renos). That and including getting rid of green waste, a never ending chore, my ute has been one of the best tools i own. Just get used to family/friends asking to borrrow it...

I would recommend a 96-97 Isuzu Bighorn. Look at the last of the 3.1 ltr 4JG2 powered ones. I have had 3 of these trucks over the last 15 years - A 92, then a 98, then a 96. During this period I also had a brand new Hilux Work truck as I was ops manager on a skifield for 5 years. Heres my rundown on these trucks and other vehicles I have owned in the same period. The bighorn is slightly bigger in physical size & internal capacity than the equivalent prados of the same era. The earlier 4JG2 engine is smoother at normal driving rpms 1500-3000 than the brand new 2007 Hilux I had as work vehicle at that time (albeit the hilux had more outright power. 85kw/120kw factory spec). The first Bighorn I bought was a manual & was a fantastic truck. The only mechanical issues I had were wear issues. New brakes discs & pads req, tyres etc. I then bought a 98 with the Problematic 4JX1 engine & auto trans. The only area it improved on was lower road noise & economy. The manual is spinning @2600 rpm @ 100km/h. The auto is purring much more quietly at just over 2000rpm @ 100km/h. The auto used about 10-15% less diesel too. Think 10-11 ltrs/100km vs 11-13 ltrs/100km for mixed driving. The 4JX1 engine whilst specs say 119kw does not feel like the specs would indicate vs the earlier 4jg2 specced at 85kw. In the normal driving range of 1500-2500rpm the earlier engine is not far behind in torque feel & drivability. The 4JX1 engine has other issues. Heres what I found. Mechanics run when they see the 4JX1. This was such a problem, It became nessacary for me to research & troubleshoot all the problems I had on the internet, and fix them myself. The engine uses an early CRD (common rail diesel) injection system licensed by CATERPILLAR to ISUZU. Without going into the issues in depth (whole new story) I had to diagnose & fix several problems including the ORPS (oil rail pressure sensor) and a blown turbo, among others. After a number of salvage recovery rescues were required, followed by a fix, I grew tired of the ongoing issues & bought an earlier 96 in auto with the earlier 4JG2 (3rd Bighorn). The gear ratios are slightly shorter at 2250rpm @ 100/kmh but still very smooth & quiet on the open road. The dash on the 96-97's are amost identical the the newer trucks. They are very comfortable trucks. I never had any problems with the gearboxes diffs etc in any of them. I put bigger 17" rims W 265/70/17's on all of them, making the gearing slightly taller & increasing ground clearance by about an inch or so. The number available on retardme is really dropping but I would recommend looking for a grandad wagon that looks like it's never been bush bashing, with the lowest kms you can find. A mate just bought an absolute minter for $4750 with 180000km on it. shiny chrome, perfect underbody, looked like it had never even been on shingle. A Prado of the same vintage mid/late 90's with similar kms will go for around triple that money. Steer clear of the 4JX1. Comparos to other vehicles I have owned at the same time. Audi Allroad Diesel & Mercedes ML320cdi - BMW X6 twin turbo diesel- all Road Car/Ski Wagons (not in same class, expensive to fix anything) I still have the X6 and the last 96 Bighorn. With the rear seats removed I can go bush, sleep in the back, get more gear in than I'll ever need, take the trailer to the dump, etc. As I see it, I'd rather have a nice town/road/ski wagon and a secondary hunting wagon bush basher. And with Hiluxes/Landcruisers/Prados at their higher prices, I think I have solved the dilemma. At least for me. Cheers, Scott

@mudgripz look above he almost got it right

Gkp
    Hilux or landcruiser if you want it to keep its value. Most of the time you will sell for more than purchased for providing it had been maintained

Good comments from Scott1975 above.

The 92-97 4JG2 Bighorn has alot of strong points. Have had a 96 for 2-3 years and apart from an odd electrical problem it is a good vehicle - now set with lift/tuning/32s etc for moderate club offroading which it does competently. Also very smooth on road. Have also had a 96 Prado. This model drives nicely, has more pep than Bighorn, and has useful initial height. Problems though are high fuel use with the diesel - very bad for mine. Also the 1KZ is not a good motor - regularly cracks head and sometimes water gets down into the block which means an expensive rebuild. Many friends and clubmates have had these issues. Final point with them is the drivetrain is not so strong - discussions at 4x4 club on how to improve breakage rate when offroading. And the LSD is not much good. From experience with the two - 3.1 Bighorn and 96 Prado - if both are in front of me with similar ks - I'd take the Bighorn. Its also as Scott points out bigger inside and alot cheaper. Next Isuzu 4JX1 model is to be avoided - they got that one wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    Good comments from Scott1975 above.

The 92-97 4JG2 Bighorn has alot of strong points. Have had a 96 for 2-3 years and apart from an odd electrical problem it is a good vehicle - now set with lift/tuning/32s etc for moderate club offroading which it does competently. Also very smooth on road. Have also had a 96 Prado. This model drives nicely, has more pep than Bighorn, and has useful initial height. Problems though are high fuel use with the diesel - very bad for mine. Also the 1KZ is not a good motor - regularly cracks head and sometimes water gets down into the block which means an expensive rebuild. Many friends and clubmates have had these issues. Final point with them is the drivetrain is not so strong - discussions at 4x4 club on how to improve breakage rate when offroading. And the LSD is not much good. From experience with the two - 3.1 Bighorn and 96 Prado - if both are in front of me with similar ks - I'd take the Bighorn. Its also as Scott points out bigger inside and alot cheaper. Next Isuzu 4JX1 model is to be avoided - they got that one wrong.
    Yes - I almost thought it was you writing the above :-)

wouldnt discount a Jimny - if its a secondary vehicle and only for you and your daughter then the size is fine - chuck a roof basket on it and decent tyres - you're away.
    Excellent 4wd system, extremely capable off road, small, light, petrol engine.

The brand new ones are between 27k - 31k however the big issue is wait time to get one (people who have them have been able to sell them for higher than the retail price as they can supply straight away - 4 to 6 month wait from Suzuki when you order), the older ones (SJ413 - 80s/90s) still hold value if in good nick so might be 10k - they get snapped up quickly for 4wd entry level vehicles.

Just get a nissen patrol 4.2tdi with good history and it will last you for MANY years.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    if you want a cheap option i have a 91 terrano for sale $3k just waiting to get wof recheck. chuck a set of roof racks on it and get a trailer as it is much handier having option of leaving stuff on a trailer when doing renos.
    Those things go forever.
    Only think to watch out for is rust.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Thanks for all the advice guys, gives me a few options to check out. I think I’ll be looking for something as a secondary wagon as I will be commuting 45km each way to and from work 5 days a week. My current corolla is perfect for that.

Thanks again!