Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: 4x4 camper conversion ideas...

4x4 camper conversion ideas...

I will soon pick up another long wheel base 4wd and set it up for day driving, offroading, hunting - and also for bigger camping trips. I'm well aware of sleep-in-the-back options from pushing front seats forward and having a platform/mattress in back with drawers etc. But I'm reviewing other ideas to possibly add to this - rooftop tents, side awnings.

I'm looking at making the 4wd a genuine camper option for longer trips, but at the same time keeping it simple. I would like to avoid towing a caravan if possible - too hard to get into remote places. Here are a couple of rooftop options which look interesting and don't cost much either:

https://www.feldonshelter.com/

Austrack 1.4m Deluxe Roof Top Tent - Camper Trailers & Rooftop Tents

Then there may be ideas around this setup:

https://www.intenze.co.nz/product-ca...e-4x4-awnings/

I've got no doubt alot of guys have thought about 4wd camper setups - from internal joinery/bedding arrangements though to external tents etc. I'd appreciate seeing/hearing ideas on this - as will lots of owners I think. Reality is buying the LWB 4wd costs the big $$$, but adding the versatility of a camper function could actually cost not alot more.

I'd opt for a decent tent and cooking set up, end up cooking outside due to moisture.
    puku and BobGibson like this.

Just take a tent and spare yourself the high COG, drag, cost, derision from your peers at having been lame enough to buy a RTT or awning
    puku likes this.

Roof top tents big n Oz, apparently delicas do ok also

No - did 25 years tenting for family/kids etc - had enough of that whole deal.

Looking for something simpler, quicker, centred around 4x4. The Aus rooftop idea looks most likely at this stage - and only 8 minutes to setup.

Useful point for me is the camper setup could be put on/taken off the 4x4 at any time in half an hour - leaving your vehicle in normal road mode when required.

Depending on where you hunt id go back to the 70's and have a slide on ute camper. They have come a long way and are slick units now. With the main benefit of taking it off when u don't want it

Wildman and BobGibson like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Scribe has a doisy
    mucko likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Slide on camper idea interesting - round $25-30k though which is price of caravan.

Spent 12 years doing alot of offroading, building up club offroaders etc and want to get back into it - so camper setup needs to be truck based if poss. Unimog ... ah right ... I did meet one up in the Clyde/Lawrence or Wilberforce rivers years ago.. Great clearance but not the best to pop down to the dairy.
    Shearer likes this.

Hey mate. I have this tent here MRRT

They are fucking high quality. It can be fitted to pretty much any 4wd. That price is Aussie $$ and excluding GST and importing it... Make me a reasonable offer.

SiB
    The negative with anything on your roof is the significant affect it has upon your cente of gravity. You must invest in new, appropriate shockies at least to try to manage the inevitable body roll

I did a one month camping trip earlier this year w my lwb Landcruiser. Frankly you tire of getting everything out very quickly.

I'm now contemplating a dedicated, short single axle trailer to carry the gear in. Some I've seen even pop their tent on top of that. To buy retail they're $12k plus, but I reckon I could be set up with a dedicated unit for well under $2k if I diy.

One minimum standard we subsequently agreed on was a minimum stay of two nights where ever. Stopping, setting up then hitting the road again next day becomes very very tiresome v quickly. It was this that prompted me to consider the convenience of a camping trailer.

I don't mean a pop top either btw

The Austrack rooftop unit weighs just 55kgs which will not affect shockies.

Good ideas SIB - let me know how your planning progresses with camping trailer design. I think you'll be dead right about minimum 2 day stops on longer trips. The plus of a simple truck based setup is you can stop anywhere and set up quickly. The down side is if you stay somewhere a few days you have to take it down every time you want to go for a drive at that location. Hmmm..

Timmay - looks interesting. bit soon for me to buy yet as still figuring out style that will suit best.

Slide on campers come up now and then on trademe. There was one for a landcruiser not long ago, mint for 8k.

Simple set up - even if only for ideas Camper & tent | Trade Me

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    The negative with anything on your roof is the significant affect it has upon your cente of gravity. You must invest in new, appropriate shockies at least to try to manage the inevitable body roll

I did a one month camping trip earlier this year w my lwb Landcruiser. Frankly you tire of getting everything out very quickly.

I'm now contemplating a dedicated, short single axle trailer to carry the gear in. Some I've seen even pop their tent on top of that. To buy retail they're $12k plus, but I reckon I could be set up with a dedicated unit for well under $2k if I diy.

One minimum standard we subsequently agreed on was a minimum stay of two nights where ever. Stopping, setting up then hitting the road again next day becomes very very tiresome v quickly. It was this that prompted me to consider the convenience of a camping trailer.

I don't mean a pop top either btw
    A camping trailer is something I've been thinking of putting together. Even something just big enough to sleep in, but preferred as just cargo/cooking/kayaka. Can leave behind for day excursions along with tent that takes 5 mins to put up.
    scottrods likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!