Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: 55,000km 4.5 year oil change

55,000km 4.5 year oil change

So I bought a 1999 LR Discovery 2 V8 about 3 weeks ago, bought it unseen from Christchurch and drove it back to the Waikato about 1100kms.
    Drove really well and was impressed with the power and smoothness of the engine and gear box.
    Just before my trip home I checked the usual things water level, oil etc and noticed the dipstick came out looking pretty black, as I usually only drive diesels I thought it a bit odd but didn't think too much of it.

I bought some oil and a filter to do the oil change and got to work last night after work, upon draining the oil I was a little concerned as the oil seemed to be a bit thinner than I would expect, was very black had and quite a bit of sludge. Thought that was definitely overdue an oil change.
    Then the excitement really began, the oil filter felt like it was welded in place, is was so tight I bent my filter wrench all out of shape and had to use a long screwdriver to get more leverage on the strap wrench. Upon removing the filter I found some interesting information written on it.
    See picture below:
    Name:  Oil filter.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  897.1 KB

If you can't read it, someone has written on it 139,153km and 27/2/13.
    Now I assume this is when it was last changed, and considering that was 53,900km and 4 and a half years ago it's no wonder it was black and sludgy!

I had no option but to carry out the oil change with my current oil, which I did with no hiccups, no engine light and seemed to run ok.
    I'm thinking of calling the previous owner and asking when he thinks the last oil change was done, he seemed a good guy and had taken great pride and care with the vehicle.
    Not sure if the garage he took it too was ripping him off or if he was a good liar.

I'm likely going to change the oil and filter again after a few hundred kms, depending what the dipstick looks like.
    I've not heard good things about doing engine flushes as they can sometimes do more harm than good, but I am toying with the idea of running diesel engine oil (of the same spec) through as have heard that the detergents can help with a sludgy engine and in some vehicles folk will run diesel oil anyway as has better anti-wear additives that modern petrol engine oil.

Let this be a warning to people buying second hand vehicles, do your home work and check the vehicle out thoroughly.
    I usually try to view a vehicle before buying, but wasn't an option on this occasion.

Ejected
    Lucky it had oil in it being a land rover.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Lucky it had oil in it being a land rover.
    Might be something in that, if you never change the oil it's too thick to leak out!
    Nibblet likes this.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    Might be something in that, if you never change the oil it's too thick to leak out!
    On my aeronautical engineering course we had a guy who had a Honda prelude, that's not the craziest bit either, he had owned for 8 years and had never done an oil change. Reckoned he almost never needed to top up the oil either.

We tried to convince him to change it as we were curious to see if it was like cookie dough but her figured ain't broken don't fix, just the kind of guy you want working on commercial airliners lol
    veitnamcam and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

Wait... You're supposed to change the oil?
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    Or he figured as he was putting in 4 litres of oil with every tank of fuel it was fresh and didn't need to be changed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Barefoot and Maca49 like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

A friend buggered his engine because he didn't realise he had to change the oil. He topped it up regularly, but never changed the oil or filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Or he figured as he was putting in 4 litres of oil with every tank of fuel it was fresh and didn't need to be changed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is not a stupid concept, old piston engine aircraft (DC3 etc) use to burn enough oil that it was not required to be changed.

This Landy was very good in the way of oil leaks (none that I could see), but I don't think that will be the case for much longer.
    Spudattack likes this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Yep run some diesel oil through it for a few hundy kms, won't do any harm and yes its high detergent and will flush the crap out.

Probably changed oil but couldnt get filter off so didnt.
    Good that this one isnt a leeker. Mine leeks rain in through the sunroof and oil out the bottom
    Barefoot likes this.

Maybe the old oil was so thick that it could not leak ! :-)

Should have bought a V8 diesel! I'm getting Landrovers every smoko, the guy that works for me wants to buy one, been going on for about 3 mths. Drives me nuts, but I know where every Landrover for sale in NZ lives right. You bought a crapper
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Should have bought a V8 diesel! I'm getting Landrovers every smoko, the guy that works for me wants to buy one, been going on for about 3 mths. Drives me nuts, but I know where every Landrover for sale in NZ lives right. You bought a crapper
    I wish, don't quite has $50k to spend on one unfortunately.

Let him know I've got one for sale, goes well just had an oil change...........
    nevereadyfreddy likes this.

consider changing just the oil in say a weeks time..... that will act as a sort of flush,the semi new stuff will/shouldve picked up any crappy stuff left in system and replacing it with new should see it good to go. mate who used to do my oil changes for me used to pour about a litre of good clean oil through motor before replacing bung for that very reason.
    Pointer likes this.

northdude
    55000km for a disco and its still alive that's a bonus in itself
    gadgetman and berg243 like this.