Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Advice Please on vehicle...

Have been reading through some of the threads regarding replacement vehicles which is very informative because I have very little knowledge of what is what with vehicles.
    I have a double cab Nissan Navara 1996 2.7d two wheel drive and hopefully all going well I will be able to think about replacing it later this year or early next year...touch wood, my ute has been fantastic and I love it but because of wanting to access other places to work my dogs etc I want to go to a 4x4 and preferably petrol because of the RUC and rego etc. this is my second Navara the first having done 405,000 k before I sold it; only ever had a gearbox bearing go. My present Navara is nudging 330,000k.
    Are the 4x4 capabilities of SUV's the same as a ute or it is the wheel size and clearance that make it different? Sorry Guys, I dont know enough about these things!!!!
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Petrol over diesel,I'd still go diesel,better performance towing,and most 4 liters engines love to gobble the petrol. My colorado averages 9 liters per 100 k/ ms just towed a tandem trailer over the Laimais to Ham loaded a Toyato ha ha and heading back shortly, would be thru a tank of petrol by now, only used a quarter tank of diesel,and cruised at 90 ks

thank you Maca49!!!! maybe I should revisit my budget!!!

I'm selling mine at present someone having a look this pm but 2wd got my fingers crossed

ebf
    eeebees, some questions to narrow the choices.

do you need a vehicle capable of towing ? what specifically ?

you have a double-cab currently right. do you want same internal size, smaller or larger ?

for comparable petrol and diesel, there is a magic milage number where if you travel more than that per year, it is cheaper to get diesel, even with RUC. i might be completely off track, but kinda remember for my business van, it was 5000km ? maybe someone in fleet management / transport will know the answer.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Thank you, EBF, twin cab or single doesnt really matter cos I can get my dog crate adjusted, even if it didnt have deck like a SUV or had a backpak. I rarely tow anything. 5000k, yikes...I mostly do a round trip to work of 86k a day, plus weekend jaunts!!

Diesel me thinks

Generally speaking standard vehicles a waggon will be more capable off road than a ute.
    Utes have stiff rear suspension to carry loads which hampers articulation unless loaded and long rear overhangs.

But there is not as much stuff to scratch or dent on a ute especially if its a tray not wellside.

Im picking you won't be doin any serious off roading in it anyway ?

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Diesel me thinks
    yip, diesel given you are doing close to 500km a week
    Depending on budget the turbo diesel navaras from the early/mid 2000's where a pretty good wagon

ebf
    if you are on a farm/block, and most of your "off-roading" is near home, I'd look at getting an economical little hatchback for commuting, and then a farm rego vehicle to bash on the weekends...

commuting in something that uses 10lt or more per 100km is going to hurt long term
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Thanks to you all...I am just scared I will get something that is going to cost me the money I do not have to do endless repairs...but your advice has been invaluable thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    I'm selling mine at present someone having a look this pm but 2wd got my fingers crossed

SOLD yahoo bring on the field days