Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: After some opinions on first road bike

After some opinions on first road bike

I'm having to move to the Auckland in the next 12-24 months and looks like I'll have a 70km, 35km each way, commute each day, 80% motorway. I don't like the thought of driving my ute in traffic everyday, both fuel usage, vehicle wear and tear, and parking.

I like the idea of commuting on a motorbike so was thinking of giving that a bit of a go.

I looked into electric motorcycles but they just arent there yet.

I'm a motorcross rider at heart, never ridden road bikes but have spent thousands of hours on MX and farm bikes.

I was thinking super motard but then I've been looking at the Yamaha MT-07, MT-03, KTM Duke type bikes. Just not sure if a 400 will be struggling on a motorway.

Other option is to get a small PHEV.

Thoughts?

Caretaker
    Ducati 950 SP supermotard

Like riding a XR650R but smoother and quieter

It will feel familiar with its more upright riding position

Excellent anti lock brakes and multistage traction control with wet weather settings.

Likely as safe as a bike could ever get, but still fun in good weather

Name:  CD33BDD8-0788-4653-8F25-6051D577D4A5.jpeg
Views: 474
Size:  172.8 KB

Then get an A C Cobra, use a 351 alloy Dart block and fill it to 427 cubes, dark dark or silver with side pipes that no one wants to go near caus their ears hurt and legs can feel the heat - the rain beads off the headers with a audible crack, no one will go near you, they won’t even drive close, and you’ll be safe

Name:  6BAF9C5E-292E-48A5-88C8-826413A1CEBB.jpeg
Views: 447
Size:  79.0 KB
    Last edited by 7mmsaum; 06-06-2022 at 10:37 AM.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Get both. Bike for the 10% fine days and a phev for all the rest. A bike will cut through the traffic which is cool but not so great when its a shitty day.

I have a 790 Duke and love it. Light, nimble and super fun. More than enough power. 890 is the same +.
    Having said that the MT07 are a good bike (not quite on the same level as the KTM) and there are plenty around to choose from. Or an MT-09? Very motard like.
    Best thing is to get out and test ride some and see what you like the feel of. Like rifles, they are all a bit different.
    Savage1 and outlander like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Have you got a full bike licence or are you going to be looking at LAMS bikes only?

you going to a bike to save petrol costs and will be in grid locked traffic....you wont want or need a big motor to do that. a set of universal tyres or out right road grips on smaller XR type bike isnt dumb idea. you wont be going super fast so lower gearing isnt a handicap.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    I'm having to move to the Auckland in the next 12-24 months and looks like I'll have a 70km, 35km each way, commute each day, 80% motorway. I don't like the thought of driving my ute in traffic everyday, both fuel usage, vehicle wear and tear, and parking.

I like the idea of commuting on a motorbike so was thinking of giving that a bit of a go.

I'm a motorcross rider at heart, never ridden road bikes but have spent thousands of hours on MX and farm bikes.

I was thinking super motard but then I've been looking at the Yamaha MT-07, MT-03, KTM Duke type bikes. Just not sure if a 400 will be struggling on a motorway.

Thoughts?
    You need a second generation ( 2003-2012) Suzuki SV650, sir. Plenty good, low mileage ones between $4K and $7K. One of the best motorcycles ever made.

I had an MT07 and it was a great bike. But fuel usage wasn't actually that much better than a small car so if economy is one of your concerns, I'd look at something smaller like a Honda 500. Bonus the rego costs less too.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post

Thoughts?
    A mate's work has issued him with a brand new Outlander PHEV. Specs say its Electric range is 55km. Brand new, he's never managed more than 35km before the motor kicks in. He said its still very economical on petrol, but the battery is almost worthless in real world terms.
    Savage1, Micky Duck and outlander like this.

I lived and rode bikes to work in AK for 13 years and rode 500cc, 650cc, 750cc and 1100cc bikes in that time.
    It is not the size of the bike that will limit your speed on the motorway so I wouldn't worry about that unless you want to go hooning.

I tend to favour an upright riding position over a sports bike so that you can see over traffic and your handlebars pass over wing mirrors if you are filtering in really tight situations.

Buy the bike you want, it'll be fine
    Micky Duck, outlander and CamD like this.

Dirt bike riding is better practice for road riding than vice versa.
    For commuting you would probably find the more upright riding position better especially if you get some slow stuff the 20% off the motorway.
    Most road bikes are too higher geared for commuting in slow stuff.
    You find yourself freewheeling with clutch in to much.
    I have been thinking of getting a DR650 or the like and use it for off roading/getting to hunting.
    They get along on the open road ok too.
    Get some gear too falling off on tarmac and hitting cars isn't like an off on the mudbug.
    You probably will not save money but enjoy it more.
    When I used to take bike to main office 3 and a bit km use to do a 30 km loop, quick blat.
    Micky Duck, outlander and CamD like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Ducati 950 SP supermotard

Like riding a XR650R but smoother and quieter

It will feel familiar with its more upright riding position

Excellent anti lock brakes and multistage traction control with wet weather settings.

Likely as safe as a bike could ever get, but still fun in good weather

Attachment 198598

Then get an A C Cobra, use a 351 alloy Dart block and fill it to 427 cubes, dark dark or silver with side pipes that no one wants to go near caus their ears hurt and legs can feel the heat - the rain beads off the headers with a audible crack, no one will go near you, they won’t even drive close, and you’ll be safe

Attachment 198599
    That Supermotard looks awesome.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamus_ View Post
    Have you got a full bike licence or are you going to be looking at LAMS bikes only?
    Haven't even got my learners yet, but will get it tomorrow and do the course to get my 6R pretty quick. I will likely have my full by the time I get a bike, I'll need it for the hours I work anyway.

So looking at both LAMS and others, although I don't have a desire for lots of power so will likely get a LAMS one anyway, probably have better resale?

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    sounds like you are not already a motorcyclist.

Do not fall into the trap of buying what someone else thinks you need . Go to a bike dealer and sit on a bunch of differant bikes. You need a bike that suits your body shape and height. No good buying a Road King if you are 4'6" tall and weigh 100 lbs....

Sit on a bunch of bikes , shut your eyes and put your hands out to where they are comfortable . If the handle bar controls arent in that same spot then that isnt the right bike for you. When you touch the controls with your eyes shut and arms out you have a starting point to consider that bike.

You dont need a sports bike to commute. A DR650 Suzuki or a KLX Kawasaki would be ideal ,you sit high for visibility and there are heaps around if you need spares. A Suzuki Hayabusa is not a suitable commuter bike......

And buy protective gear. A get-off in heavy commuter traffic is very dangerous cos you have all that traffic right there beside you.

Good luck.
    Cheers,

My mate is lending me his DR600 for a few weeks to see if I like commuting on a bike etc.

I'm pretty keen on having ABS though.

Cheers for the advice.

I’ve got a Royal Enfield Interceptor 650, LAMS approved.

Not a road rocket but would be ideal for commuting and gets about 65+ mpg (in the old fashioned way of figuring out fuel economy)
    Shearer, outlander and XR500 like this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’