Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Air compressors for 4x4

Air compressors for 4x4

Hi, just bought a isuzu Mu 2.8l turbo, older model 93 . Thinking about getting a air compressor to deflate and inflate tyres. Not that i be doing that much serious off road but have a spot
    i go fishing that may have some soft sand and a couple of very muddy areas where i go hunting.
    Are there any reasonable ones about that dont cost the earth? what brand or model would you recommend guys?

Get something with a large flow rate. Then if you ever pop a bead the compressor can reseat it. (unless you're prepared to use the lynx method lol)
    Most are too crap to do that.
    I got a twin cylinder compresor from Repco when they had a sale. Bulky but it works well. I also normally carry a Milwauke 12v inflator for general inflation duties as well.
    deer243 likes this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Get something with a large flow rate. Then if you ever pop a bead the compressor can reseat it. (unless you're prepared to use the lynx method lol)
    I got a twin cylinder compresor from Repco when they had a sale. Bulky but it works well. I also normally carry a Milwauke 12v inflator for general inflation duties as well.
    What sort of price we talking?

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    What sort of price we talking?
    The Repco pump was around the $120 mark from memory, but I get trade discount
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

What power tool batteries do you own? Then buy a skin of the same Make and use those batteries. I’ve got a Makita 18 v $140 + gst
    cambo likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Flow rate of 87l /min too slow? Or will that do, or should i be looking over 120l/min

I carry a twin cylinder unit from Repco, picked up at a sale a couple of years back, It is about a 15 min exercise to re inflate 4 33inch tyres from 16psi to 35psi.
    The HD Maxitrac unit they sell is a great unit, a mate has one and he can do his 35 inch tyres quicker than I can do my 33s. $$$ though.

This is the single cylinder version of what I run, It would do what you require.
    https://www.repco.co.nz/en/4x4-adven...085/p/A1236710

this unit too
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/building-r...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

The clip on valve fitting isn't the greatest, we tend to swap them for a screw on one like the Supercheap unit above.
    Last edited by ROKTOY; 05-07-2020 at 02:03 PM.
    cambo and deer243 like this.

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    I ran an Endless Air In my old Landy, from Kareela Engineering in Melbourne. He converts radial AirCon compressors and they’re bloody great running off your fan belt. Some trucks might not have the space to run one if they’re already running an AirCon unit though. They used to be around $500 Aussie and I brought a couple back one trip.looks like they’re still available...

https://www.endlessair.com.au/pricing.html
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Pengy and deer243 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    I converted the airconc compressor so I have endless air as long as motors going.. Meant to plumb in a receiver but never got to it. Hack the a/c wire and fit a 115psi cutout (like on shop compressors) Fills up 33s from 20 to 50 in under 2 mintues at idle.
    Yep this what I had on my old mu. Bloody brilliant as long as can live without air con.

Currently Makita unit that runs on your 18V power tool battery is around $175 on special at the Toolshed

@mimms2 so fairly easy job to convert ac pump? Mines isn't working on the land cruiser, suspect it's out of gas so could be a good reason to do it

I've got this one and for the money it goes bloody well.
    https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/r...2v/299651.html