Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Alll terrain tyres again

Alll terrain tyres again

Evening everyone. So at the moment I have a Triton 2014 . Im running Maxxis Bighorn MT764s cause thats what it had when I purchased it.
    So the size is 265/75/16.
    Im looking at new All terrians as I pretty much never go on mud . 70 percent or more on the road.
    Question is do I need 265/75 in size. What am I losing if I go to say smaller / different width etc .What would I win on?
    Its hard to get 365/75/16 in all terrain as well , a bit more limitation.
    Any thought would be appreciated. Thanks.

Both those sizes are pretty common. 265/70/16 is about a 30.5 inch tyre, 265/75/16 is 31-31.5 inch.
    Each tyre manufacturer will have slightly different exact tyre dimensions for a given size. So a 31 inch tyre maybe slightly more or less than 31 inch.
    You probably won't notice a difference, the ute won't really notice a difference if you go up or down less than an inch. Other than a slight change in gearing and your speedo will read a bit different. Maybe 1-3kph difference.
    Changing sizes you may notice a negligible change in fuel consumption, if the new tyres are lighter than your current. Heavier tyre, more effort to turn them. You can compare tyre weights easily by googling the specs.
    If you do a bit of off road, maintaining the 31 inch will keep a bit of clearance between your diff and the dirt. An inch doesn't sound like much but it can be...
    Your could also look at 275/70/16 - slightly wider and slightly smaller - reasonably common tyre size with a few a/t options.
    If you do a bit of paddock driving, wet/muddy areas driving, up ski fields etc, I'd go down AT route instead of HT every time.
    Look at some of these as options, all get very good reviews, especially the Wildpeak and Yokohamas.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/c...1?bof=Fep1wo5g

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/c...9?bof=Fep1wo5g

I usually buy a new set of tyres every year, have tried so many options. At the moment running Mickey Thompson ATz P3's on my Landcruiser, they've done just over 50,000km and are less than half worn.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Good advise by Josh but I'd add that a well designed mud terrain will still drive quite on road and last plenty. For example I usually get 60k kms from my tires (I just replaced my set of the goodride Sl386s (which are a copy of the BFG KM2s) after putting exactly 60k kms 2 tires has 2mm tread and 2 had 4mm) long green grass in paddocks on hills can be some slippery shot and an AT sometimes won't cut it. My old man only used ATs for one set before going back to good muds. The same things with Clay tracks that easily fill the tread on ATs making them useless unless they have a really good self clearing design. Tires I have used and Recommend highly are the Goodride SL386 (I don't recommend the sl366 which are cheaper and slippery in the wet), BFG KM2s, Maxxis Razrs in the MT are pretty amazing. I was shocked they are as quite as the factory HTs they replaced. Didn't find the Coopers in either the Stt or Stt Pro very good or worth the premium. Have a mate that swears by the Mickey Thompson ATZs and another that has now put 10000 kms on the new Maxxis Razr ATs and they look new. I just brought another set of the Goodride though as a set cost me under a grand so even if they lasted only 40000kms compared I could buy two sets for the cost of one premium brand. If I had the money or a nicer ute I'd have brought Razrs again. BTW 265/75r16 Goodride are 235 a peice atm

first rule of triton: turn off the egr !!!
    i can help you on that one. otherwise you end up with an inlet full of tar and your mitsi limp home
    Stocky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    I enjoyed the KM2s. Got 70-80k out of them on a wagon typically rolling at 2.25 tonne. Sometimes loaded to 3+

They basically create gravity... and traction. Piss all over any other ute even at 50psi.

At 17psi they wont go anywhere. They just change the rotation of the earth underneath you, so you end up where you were heading.

I've had people tell me the MT and the BFG are over-rated and over-priced. But haven't found rubber to match em.
    Try the Goodrides I went from KM2s to them and they have done me bloody well. For half the price I figured even if they are a bit softer (which I haven't found) they should get more kms to $. But like I said if you have the money to do it right go for it or the RAZR Mt's have a very similar design theory but I found they self clean better and are quieter.

Replys much appreciated thanks. Ill sus out some deals locally. Im running a provent catch can Tropo. Which reminds me ,I must have a look in the weekend to see how much crud its caught, will be interesting. Yep, those tritons are notorious for blocking up.
    Interestingly , our courier driver has a Toyota deisel van , same engine as a hilux I think, continually thrashed and “hot”. His vans in at the shop at the mo.Second time in for an unblock , new egr bits etc.Probably because it sits idling alot (?) I put him on to the trademe Provents catch cans. Maybe that will help. Cheers.

@Stocky How are those Goodrides for noise on the road and what is their wet road cornering like? I've had a few shockers in the past..

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    @Stocky How are those Goodrides for noise on the road and what is their wet road cornering like? I've had a few shockers in the past..
    The SL386 are great in wet. My last set have been at that 4-5mm and under engage for awhile and still no issues in the rain. They are on my daily. They are definitely quiet for a mud and don't hum anywhere near as bad as most but they aren't HTs. To be fair as far as I can tell they are a straight up copy of KM2s same tread pattern design etc. I didn't notice a difference between them when I went from KM2s (my previous employer covered to these). They go great Offroad too and have enough clearance in between lugs to self clear good and even on the likes of long wet grass they don't have issues. They are on a 2009 Hilux with minor lift heavy steel tray and toolboxes. My brother and old man brought a set of sl366s that more of a maxxis buckshot clone. They are average in the wet for a mud but bad once they wear down a bit. I've run the 386s to 2mms of tread and never had cornering or issues in the wet.

If you have got the money the new Maxxis Razrs are the most impressive Mt I've had the pleasure to use and if I had been able to find a 2nd hand set in the size I wanted I'd have brought them. I just built a new 2017 Hilux up for my brother and they are seriously as quiet as his old highway terrains except on that very smooth Asphalt where they are still pretty quiet on chipseal you would hardly guess. He's now done 13k odd kms and they still look new well over. I've heard the same thing Mohawk mentioned about the Kumhos too but haven't owned a set mainly because of what I had heard.
    6x47 likes this.

Yeah the home tractor is nearly due for shoes, Thanks for the recommend.
    How do they go on sand?
    I never took the ute on the beach when I was running KM2s so can't give a comparison but the sl386s have been great down the River mouth only bother to air down when doing recoveries or going somewhere where the sands got no hard layer under the surface.
    They do a 33x12.5r15 and a 285/75r16 which are both 33s.

My google-fu failed me. I'll check with tyre shops when I get back up home. Cheers.
    Tireshoponline 269 shipped to a local tires hop for fitting.
    mimms2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    What ever you do, don’t buy Kumho road venture MT51s. Terrible on a wet road. I will be getting Falken wildpeak AT3s next, heard good things about them.
    Thanks for that.
    A young guy at a local tyre place showed me his AT51s which he really rates, incl in the wet. Their MT brother is obviously not in the same ballpark