Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By outdoorlad
  • 1 Post By outdoorlad
  • 1 Post By yerimaginaryM8

Thread: Another Jet boat advice thread

Another Jet boat advice thread

Hi all, another jet boat advice thread, I'm looking at a boat for general river work, hunting etc. Don't want anything too big but want to be able to seat maybe 4, and then could take less people plus dogs, hunting gear etc

As there seem to be a few knowledgeable people on here what are the thoughts on this boat?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=1947482075

Seems to be a good compromise between a small boat but still with a decent engine and can take a few people. Not sure about the hull design for river work though?

Look on YT the dude Goatracing knows his stuff.

Not a lot of room in that boat, a lot of the length is in the nose section, if your going to be carrying heavy loads the 8mm bottom would concern me. Depends how much money your prepared to spend?
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Look on YT the dude Goatracing knows his stuff.
    Will so thanks

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    Not a lot of room in that boat, a lot of the length is in the nose section, if your going to be carrying heavy loads the 8mm bottom would concern me. Depends how much money your prepared to spend?
    Thanks, Still figuring out how much to spend to get what I want, how would the 8mm affect the heavy loads?

8mm is a bit light when you take a hit on a rock and will dint easier, my boat is 12mm. 10mm would be the lowest I’d go.
    hillclima likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    8mm is a bit light when you take a hit on a rock and will dint easier, my boat is 12mm. 10mm would be the lowest I’d go.
    Thanks, makes sense, a lot of the jet dingy have 8 or even 6mm, assume they lighter so can get away with it?

Yes and generally have a shallower Vee so don’t draw as much water but it makes them slide more in turns (say a 10deg bottom vs 21deg for a jet sprint boat which grips like its on rails, most family boats will be around 14-16deg)
    hillclima likes this.

I have seen an evo 3.8 hull in the flesh,they were built by Chris Lee of evolution marine in Dunedin in the early 2000's.He built a few and they were mostly fitted with sr20's http://www.jbnz.co.nz/yabbse/index.p...79730#msg79730. One came up for sale that had not been fitted out about the same time I bought my zjet 3.6 kitset. I was put off by the relatively low sides and 8mm delta section. Also I think a wider hull like say the 3.8 wattscraft might carry the v6 weight better. Some people argue that boxing the unit out the back of the hull to gain space can make some boats hoppy in the turns but others are fine, plus a trim nozzle might help. I later heard that larger versions of this hull were built and they went ok but still had the low sides. If the owner was willing to shave 4 or 5 k off the asking price it might be ok value for what it is if the hull is mint,you could look at adding 10mm plastic which would improve the bashability for about $1200 if you did it your self but it would require a complete stripout of the boat .
    hillclima likes this.