Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Anyone any good with vehicle electrics?

Anyone any good with vehicle electrics?

I've got a 07 PJ ranger which I can't help but treat like a baby and I'm wanting to do a few small mods to it.

I'm gonna swap out the head unit for a double din unit so I can connect my phone and a reversing camera to it.

I also want to install some led lights in the rear canopy on a switch so I don't have to fuck around out there in the dark.

I'm pretty certain I can figure out all of the head unit and camera stuff but I wouldn't have a clue about installing lights.

From what i have read I need at least a fuse of some sort and possibly a relay. Anyone keen to shed some light on how to go about doing this?

I might also look at installing a couple of stronger led work lights on the outside that tie into my reverse lights so when I'm in reverse they flick on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not run a feed wire from your overhead internal door operated lights?
    The internal tray light would come on when a door is opened, if you turn the overhand light off on its switch, tray light goes out as well.
    For work lights that come on when reversing, just hook up to the reversing light feed wire.
    So long as the LED lights aren't power hungry, either would run off your standard fuses.
    Can't see any issues with the reversing light set up, but you might need to bugger around with the head lining for the tray lights - OTY mate.
    My suggestion only - no guarantees implied or expressed

Ejected
    That's what I would do. Good when the internal lights have a delay as well so you can close the door and go to the tray and dick around until they turn off by themselves.

For reversing lights, I would have an isolation switch on them after the feed from the reversing circuit so they aren't always being used in suburban environments blinding people driving by as you're backing out the drive. When you're out in the whops and need them flick the switch them when you reverse all nice and bright.

Edit: Get the best camera you can afford, makes a huge difference in the dark and mount it where it won't get flared by the lights
    WallyR likes this.

Facebook PJ/PK BT50 & Ranger or Aussie 4WD Electrical. Click the files tab. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by PillowDribbler View Post
    Facebook PJ/PK BT50 & Ranger or Aussie 4WD Electrical. Click the files tab. Cheers.
    Thanks mate. Just had a look at that.

The lights is the easiest bit. Have done a few.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    The lights is the easiest bit. Have done a few.
    but i have put a subwoofer in a mitsy triton !!

Any recommendations on lights @gadgetman? I've been browsing AliExpress.

Not sure what you are after or where you want to attach them. Main things to look at are the beam angle and make sure the mounting system looks solid enough.

I'd be tempted to look at strip lighting for inside the back as it give light from a number of directions and you won't end up working in shadow.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Was thinking about something like this https://goo.gl/evo281 for inside the canopy
    And possibly something like this https://goo.gl/wZwgDC mounted to the outside to light the back up on a switch for reversing at night

Quote Originally Posted by sambnz View Post
    Was thinking about something like this https://goo.gl/evo281 for inside the canopy
    And possibly something like this https://goo.gl/wZwgDC mounted to the outside to light the back up on a switch for reversing at night
    They look good. I'd be tempted to just get a roll of strip lighting, have plenty if you want some.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-...08.0.90.QtwViY

And all this has WHAT to do with a hunting and fishing blog site?

It's in the outdoor transport section mate. And it's my hunting and fishing transport..

Quote Originally Posted by sambnz View Post
    It's in the outdoor transport section mate. And it's my hunting and fishing transport..

Can't hunt when you cant find your gear in the boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 888 View Post
    And all this has WHAT to do with a hunting and fishing blog site?
    Its relevant; we have an "outdoor transport" section for a reason & we have knowledgeable members on this stuff
    gadgetman and sometimes like this.