Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Auto vs Manaul utes

Auto vs Manaul utes

Just dreaming about a new Hilux and i have always owned manual hilux utes, never a 6 speed. Been for a test drive in a manual and found the 6 speed . Most of my driving is open road and don't do a heap off towing , just after opinions?? seems every body is going auto these days

Don't like the 6 speed new Hilux, the auto is much better. Have both at work so have driven them both a bit

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

@hillclima
    what is it you don't like about the 6 speed?

If you’re not towing get the auto
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

I brought the auto I like driving around the station having a cup o tea and a dart waving the spotlight around... works for me. Be warned though my mates one shat itself (torque converter) and he rebuilt it with a bit of fucking around hes not getting much change out of 10k

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    I say get an auto if your towing, far easier, no slipping the clutch with heavy load take offs when first gears a bit big!!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

One thing i did notice its smother changing gears if you are in the eco mod, don't know why.
    Driven my mate's auto a while back but might have to take it for another drive. Interesting he has not long brought a brand new auto and they do notice the difference in fuel consumption going from manual to auto.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    @hillclima
    what is it you don't like about the 6 speed?
    It just seems a bit too highly geared. 6th gear is no good below 110 if it's not totally flat.
    It's also very easy to hit reverse instead of first at lights too.

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
    bigbear likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    I say get an auto if your towing, far easier, no slipping the clutch with heavy load take offs when first gears a bit big!!
    You will really overheat an auto towing big loads particularly hills , over here in OZ the aftermarket boys do a huge trade in coolers for auto gearbox’s for just that very reason .
    Also I don’t know if the modern manuals are the same as the old ones , but in the old 5 speeds you shouldn’t tow big loads in 5th gear , use 4th .
    4th gear was the strongest for some reason , I think it had something to do with straight drive through the gears , but now I’m diving into territory I dont know much about .
    Maca49 and rewa like this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Got a new triton couple years ago, do a bit of towing (less than a tonne usually) opted for auto. Its just easier whe your lazy like me. Got a bit of feedback that the manual had a clutch that was either in or out and no travel.

Auto also gives you more control when off roading (but doesnt feel like a real 4wd)
    rewa likes this.

You will really overheat an auto towing big loads particularly hills , over here in OZ the aftermarket boys do a huge trade in coolers for auto gearbox’s for just that very reason .
    Also I don’t know if the modern manuals are the same as the old ones , but in the old 5 speeds you shouldn’t tow big loads in 5th gear , use 4th .
    4th gear was the strongest for some reason , I think it had something to do with straight drive through the gears , but now I’m diving into territory I dont know much about .
    With most autos being tiptronic and having torque converter lock up in every gear, there is really no reason to be overheating a transmission.

When towing big loads up big hills drive it like a manual, select a lower gear before you actually need it and try keep the torque converter locked up.
    Same thing for fuel consumption, with a locked torque converter you aren't loosing the 10% efficiency of older autos, so fuel consumption should be similar.

manual all the way
    7mmsaum and Kiwi Greg like this.

If you are towing get an auto, most manuals are too high gear and the modern engine needs higher revs to get into their power range so backing up a hill or taking off with a heavy load in a manual burns the clutch. My BT50 clutch was stuffed and slipping at 100k and hat was only light towing but difficult manoeuvring. If towing heavy loads on the motorway I agree with @Ground Control though.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    My Hilux was too high geared in manual ,couldn't cross a reasonable stream or back water that came up to the side steps in high 4 unless I was down in 1st.
    Hunting by yourself in hilly country gates were an issue, leave it in neutral and trust the brake or turn it off, back on, drive through , turn it off, shut gate etc etc.
    When I bought my Surf like 20 years ago now ish first thing I did was put a trans cooler in it,never had a problem.

Nah, bugger the manual.

I bought Auto again.
    Last edited by jakewire; 16-11-2019 at 06:44 PM.
    veitnamcam and rewa like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I bought a manual colorado new in 2016. We wanted to keep a manual between us and the car and it was 2k cheaper. Tbh if I was to do it again i’d probably go auto. They just seem to be better in most ways these days.