Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Bought the new Polaris Ute

Bought the new Polaris Ute

So, further to my original posting here https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....dations-42527/ requesting feedback on quad bikes, I ended up proceeding with the purchase of a Polaris Ute.

Reasoning for going with the Polaris?
    1. Price - the Polaris is lower priced than others in the market, and while going for a jap bike might have been a better bet in the long run, I couldn't stretch that far.
    2. The 'ute' layout on the Polaris offers considerable flexibility in terms of load carrying. Its rated for 180kg in the back. Last night I had 50 possums plus an extra rider on the side with no issues.
    3. The 2017 model has excellent engine breaking, plus hill decent control, plus a turf mode which is essentially one wheel drive, which is excellent for doing tight turns on the flat or for saving your tyres on the metal road.
    4. Its wider and longer than most other bikes out there which makes it super stable.
    5. The local Polaris dealer is only 4 minutes away making servicing and support close to home.

We were out doing the local Drury possum hunt over the weekend and this was the ute's maiden voyage. I have to say I am very impressed. I ended up in some very steep country which I wouldn't have gone into if I had have known how steep it was and the bike was extremely well behaved and very predictable. The combination of power steering and hill descent control are amazing. The AWD system was flawless and never felt like it was spinning a wheel in any corner, and there was far too much of both the accent and descent that was being done on 2 and 3 wheels instead of 4!

My dislikes, while minor would be:
    1. The high beam headlight is attached to the handle bars which is a pain if you want to put a box on the front carrier or even lay your coat across the front. I will over come this by mounting a light bar on the bull bars and reroute the wiring.
    2. The position of the ignition key on the same 'pod' as the light means that the key can be stressed if you have anything sitting on the fuel tank, like your rain coat because you cannot sit it on the front carrier because of the light.
    3. The Polaris factory side bars need some work to make them more rigid.

So, very happy with it at the moment, and am currently designing and building the carrier frame for the ute tray for guns and ammo
    7mm Rem Mag and Sarvo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    just be careful with the wireing as any place it is wearing or subject to stress can cause a break in the wires and things stop working like the 4wd / 2wd switching also keep the grease up to any grease nipples you can see inbetween services and you should have a very handy vehicle.
    Cheers for that - will do.

It was interesting talking to the dealer re the NZ 'HD' models. The bikes are shipped over from the USA, the dealer gets them on a pallet 98% assembled, they then strip out all the suspension and fit all the 'HD' parts like the greaseable bushes etc and reassemble. Obviously the NZ and Aust markets aren't big enough for assembly at the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    just be careful with the wireing as any place it is wearing or subject to stress can cause a break in the wires and things stop working like the 4wd / 2wd switching also keep the grease up to any grease nipples you can see inbetween services and you should have a very handy vehicle.
    Grease
    What / where can I get a good grease gun set up that you can get into these awkward places on the likes of Quads etc
    Also what grease please
    Last edited by Sarvo; 01-07-2018 at 07:31 PM.

Got a photo of aforesaid beast?
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    Got a photo of aforesaid beast?
    Think he still to busy playing with it
    So in the meantime - this is what I think he is planning on it ending up looking like

Name:  ByQAiu4IUAAJIOA.jpg large.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  142.3 KB

With or without the PKM?
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Been doing a little bit of work of the Polaris this week getting it ready for a hunt this coming week. Taking my two boys for a rabbit hunt inland from Napier.

Name:  346204291645f7d653d91e45c23fe028.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  125.6 KB
    BRADS, Beaker, 7mm Rem Mag and 1 others like this.

Where your photos ??
    Waiting for shooter platform finish ??

My poor Polaris Ute been hauling 12 ton of metal all last week
    Had a 22year old Forum member here to help me (he did all the shoveling into bags out of big Fert sling bags that were barged in) he did a magnific job
    They can take the weight - just keep putting it on
    My track is very steep too - short but 2 very steep parts

Oops ……. wrong image. That's the other Polaris ……

Had to set up for three rifles and a rear bench seat on the ute tray (will have to think around some padding for the seat). Made a frame for the seat out of light wall 1" box so decided to make it so that I can mount a couple of fish bins on it as well. Bit of an experiment but we will see how it goes this week.

Name:  IMG_6858.JPG
Views: 419
Size:  2.16 MB

Rear bench seat hinges up for easy access to what ever is stowed under it. Using the 'lock and ride' attachments the frame and bench seat can be removed in about 10 seconds. Frame can carry two fish bins and still store stuff in the ute tray under the bins. Bench seat makes for a ready made shooting bench for rifle with a bi-pod, or shoot over the top of the fish bins with their lids on. Options, options.

Name:  2018-07-14 17.58.37.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  1.40 MB

Name:  IMG_6865.JPG
Views: 346
Size:  1.81 MB

Name:  IMG_6864.JPG
Views: 382
Size:  2.09 MB
    Flyblown likes this.

Like the front set up - now I see why you not wanted front carrier rack - I like the bull bar setup better than mine too
    If your shooter f~~cks up the shooting you can just trip the tray and he's a gone burger

Where you got seat cover from ??

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    Where you got seat cover from ??
    Got it from the local Polaris dealer. This some sort of specially treated canvas that doesn't absorb water.
    Sarvo likes this.

Took the two boys away for three days rabbit hunting in the hills outside Napier. Numbers are well down due to our hunting pressure. Owner's total talley has now broken the 30,000 mark. We got a solid 100 for the three days mainly with the boys learning to stalk up on little gulley's and shooting with a single shot .22LR. They took a couple of long range ones with the .22-250 and the .223 for good measure. Great time away, except for the B&*%y puncher in the rear tire on the Hilux on the way home.

Name:  2018-07-18 12.38.32.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  2.96 MB

Name:  2018-07-18 12.07.34.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  3.30 MB

Name:  2018-07-18 12.58.29.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  3.97 MB
    FatLabrador, Sarvo and berg243 like this.