Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree191Likes

Thread: Buying a new Ute. Keen to hear opinions

Buying a new Ute. Keen to hear opinions

Iím probably going to regret opening a can of worms. But here goes.

I am in a very fortunate position to be able to afford to purchase a new Ute. And swmbo is on board too.

I have narrowed it down to either

Hulux sr5
    Dmax ls
    Ranger Xlt

Be keen to hear from anyone who owns one of the above and hear about your experiences good and bad.

Let the games begin.

MSL
    Buy a Great Wall, just as good, half the price
    Wirehunt and tetawa like this.

Caretaker
    Hilux SR5
    BRADS likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Ranger, can’t beat that 5 cylinders, mines now got 160ks on it, only prob. New egr intercooler, cost $1300 @ 140ks. New ones are a bit thirsty, having to meet new emissions. Mate gone from ranger to Holden and is really regretting with all the niggles, and finish. Next door neighbour, a builder has an Isuzu with no probs. The new Mitsubishi looks. Good deal and warranty @mucko ?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Hi lux expensive and the late 2017 given to me to run around in while mine was being repair was a dog, had a power button in it FFS you know there’s a prob when that’s fitted, really thirsty compared to my ranger!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Ha good on you will watch this with interest as procrastinating myself.
    Make sure you post you're decision and why as always good to have outside opinion.
    Wirehair

I have a PX1 Ranger XLT 4x4 as a company vehicle.
    178kms on it and not had an issue with it. Tows well and drives well.
    Fuel range is great on open road. Round town is a bit thirsty.
    Would I buy one if I was spending my own money..... I'd probably look at other options but the ranger 5 cylinder engine is pretty hard to beat.

Sent from my SM-A505GN using Tapatalk
    Maca49 and Mathias like this.

I was in this position 10 months ago
    had two second hand Toyotya before that but the Toyota people just mucked me about, looked at the rangers
    I ended up with a New Colorado LTZ, haven't once regetted it.
    mikee likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

@Maca49 i really enjoy my triton had it almost a year now, its a bit flat after about 4200rpm but has quite good torque can gas it in 5 of 6 gears. towed my sea nymph commander from whitianga to tauranga pulled up and down the hills no worries. i would buy another but i might wait until the beast model is superseded. onboard stuff is simple, i like pluging the phone in and having spotify and voice command apps. just had 15k service at $475 next service service will cost $700 then $1200. warranty seams pretty solid
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    had two second hand Toyotya before that but the Toyota people just mucked me about, looked at the rangers
    my bro loves his colorado

Had a Hilux and flicked it. More recently compared mitsi with isuzu d max and bought the latter as seats suit me better. Very happy with it, though it may lack some refinements for some people. Six speed manual holds appeal for me, it is economical and comfy on long journeys. Was also impressed with neighbours Ranger when we recently travelled in that.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    We had the exact same experience with Toyota and we ended up with w Colorado LTZ as it seemed they were actually interested in selling us a vehicle unlike Toyota who seemed to be trying to convince us to fuck off somewhere else with our money.
    So + 1 for the Colorado here (or DMAX)............................................. ..-500 for the Mazda BT50's though

Mates just bought a new Hilux, and is regretting it. Thirsty(12l/100) and he says it seems over geared. Never really wants to change into overdrive unless well over the limit.
    Another's got a D Max. Loves it,175,000 km and never let him down,,but costs the most to service.
    He's also got 3 new model Navaras.......1 goes well, never had a problem, the other 2 are dogs.
    Jokers at work rave about their Colorados. Comfy, powerful.....

As you know, I get around the countryside and see lots of things...... The most popular model of ute seen on the back of breakdown trucks, or parked up on the side of the road.....

..Ranger

Not sure if it's because any failure shuts them down, or just because there's so many out there
    Farmers Feed The World..
    The Only Thing Not Delivered By Truck Are Babies...

Got A Triton end of last year at runout prices. Bit more poke than the hilux and astoundingly economical. The worst I can really get on a trip towing a boat/tight steep windey hills and giving it death is around 10l per 100,lightly loaded and sticking to speed limits it drops way down to high 6s low 7s (Auto).....Actual use ks traveled vs fillup liters not just what it says on the dash
    It is quiet and nice to drive but it is a cheap ute and it shows in the interior plastics and fit and finish and appallingly bad cup holders, ride quality is a little harsh especially compared to the Colorado.

It is not a Wildtrack by any measure but it wasnt 70grand either.
    jakewire, mucko, mikee and 4 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Ranger, can’t beat that 5 cylinders, mines now got 160ks on it, only prob. New egr intercooler, cost $1300 @ 140ks. New ones are a bit thirsty, having to meet new emissions. Mate gone from ranger to Holden and is really regretting with all the niggles, and finish. Next door neighbour, a builder has an Isuzu with no probs. The new Mitsubishi looks. Good deal and warranty @mucko ?
    Fuck Ford. Mine blew up at 292000 and those fuckwits said that was high k's, all hot running I fully expected 500k minimum
    Got Juice? likes this.