Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree191Likes

Thread: Buying a new Ute. Keen to hear opinions

MSL
    How much does it use?

10L per 100 on average, as low as 9 as high as 11

R93
    I usually get between 670 and 690 Km before my fuel light comes on in my Hilux. (auto)
    Have got to 750ish with light on before I have filled it.
    Computer says 10.9 km per ltr average.
    Pretty sure they're a 76l tank.

Have had a 2005 and 2009 Hiluxs both manual and would do slightly better on fuel.
    Towing my boat she doesn't do to bad either. I can get to Havelock or Picton from home and use just over half a tank on the gauge.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Current PX ranger is returning between 7.9L/100Km and 8.7L/100Km, mix of all use but a lot lighter loaded now than I used to run it. Most of that is 100Km/H roads, with the rest 50-80Km/H. When I was towing the boats I'd get it up to 9.1L/100Km. Previous ute was a D22, and that would do upwards of 14L/100Km same useage. Mate's petrol D22 4.0L, similar useage was up over 24L/100Km,

MSL
    When you say 9.1L when towing the boat, is that resetting your average?

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Shit the brand new diesels with the auto that we use at work with 29 inch road tyres use as much diesel as my lifted ln106 with 33s
    I am of course as slow as a wet week

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    When you say 9.1L when towing the boat, is that resetting your average?
    Yup, with cross checking against fuel receipts.

If Elrond is buying a brand new double cab 4wd ute comparing fuel usage between models of similar size seems a bit pointless. He's spending $30k to $80k so loosing $10-20k a year via depreciation plus paying plenty on insurance, forced into full dealer servicing to maintain the warranty, etc. Fuel is one of the smaller costs!
    nevereadyfreddy, xtightg and rewa like this.

Not considering the difference between a petrol at 24L/100Km and diesel at 9L/100Km plus associated servicing and fluff. Also you can't get the thing past a servo you'll soon get sick of the wasted time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Not considering the difference between a petrol at 24L/100Km and diesel at 9L/100Km plus associated servicing and fluff. Also you can't get the thing past a servo you'll soon get sick of the wasted time.
    Yeah... I'd caution against jumping on the anti petrol bandwagon too early. I've got the whole fleet management database for 200 vehicles here, of which thirty odd were petrol Prados and LC 100 V8s.

The long term running cost averages are a great deal closer than you'd think. Fact. Inarguable.

I'll be looking into the 9L/100km towing claim as well!
    Britain's Favourite Dog 2019!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Yeah... I'd caution against jumping on the anti petrol bandwagon too early. I've got the whole fleet management database for 200 vehicles here, of which thirty odd were petrol Prados and LC 100 V8s.

The long term running cost averages are a great deal closer than you'd think. Fact. Inarguable.

Well it worked for me - towing a 7m workboat. Went up a way towing a 12.5m barge - but that thing was a bloody parachute and should never have been towed behind a ute.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post

Its the demon road k's tax that equals it all out.
    Fuel economy is only part of it. years ago I did some calcs for the same 4x4-pajero at the time-and was tossing up between the v6 or the diesel.
    I will say I was a little optimistic on the petrol's economy but I was also a little that way inclined for the diesel, but I had at least owned a similar model for comparison's sake.
    As I was doing all the oil changes etc myself the two factors that started to equal it all out was the extra servicing recommended for the turbo diesel (5k vs 10k), so extra filters and the road k's. Bugger all in it otherwise with the diesel only just winning. This was on a 25k's a year avg. mileage.
    Plus back then if a diesel crapped out it was way more likely to cost shit tons more than a petrol to fix.
    fast forward 6-7 years I got a V6 Isuzu bighorn. That was a cracking 4wd but geez it liked the petrol when you started flogging it. Economy figures for that were very optimistic.
    I suppose it doesn't always match up with new cars nowadays, but the servicing and k's are still the big equalizers.

I think there are so many positions on this because we all have different uses for our 4x4 and with me at least that usage changed with the aging process.
    If I was 30 years younger again all my money would go into some sort of 70 Cruiser or equivalent and I'd put up with the wet dog smell

You transition, and yes my needs now are easily met with the aforementioned Colorado as i'm sure are others with their Mitz's, Rangers, dMax's, Hilux's etc instead of the harder core Cruisers, safari's, patrols

Look about , check and be sure what your needs are , what you need to tow, service costs , resale if its an issue, are you going tahr hunting or rabbit shooting off farm tracks?

Seriously some could do what they do with a Subaru, but we buy the Ute etc because we can.

Really there is no wrong choice if you choose for your needs.
    Well... unless you buy a Ford.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Seriously some could do what they do with a Subaru, but we buy the Ute etc because we can.
    one of my best nights spotlighting was in a forester with a huge sun roof, amazing where that thing went

Yepmtrue dat, those Subie's were pretty bloody useful. Anything that was half-worthy of the name "rut" had 'em a bit poo'd though.