Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Buying used quad for hunting - suggestions?

Buying used quad for hunting - suggestions?

Hi

Longtime reader, third or fourth time poster. New to the forum in general, so warm greatings to all. Have been hunting a few years now - mainly on DOC land. Beating the feet and picking up animals here and there. I'm going to take up a bit of hunting out the back of a couple of farms around where I live so am looking to score a quad - finally! Mum says cause I'm in my 40s I am allowed to do a bit of farm boy hunting (I suspect she wants the kids to tag along with me so she can hunt round the shops)

Anyways, I'm sure a number of you use quads. I'd like to draw on your collective wisdom/experience. I don't want to spend anymore than about 3k. So tell me what makes/models you have found reliable. A good cc rating. Any modifications made or attachments you have used that have made the steel horse a better hunting machine.

I look forward to you advice.
    LegaSea likes this.

Banned
    gidday mate welcome here......the question you have justed asked is like asking how long a peice of string is so good luck getting a desicion.Side note for you get a trx 350! for 3k it will be industrctable.good luck.

Thanks Nechshot.

Not searching for a definitive. It's the array of opinions/ideas that I look forward to reading so I can create a personal idea of what I might settle on.

Welcome along The Rifleman,
    I have been using a Honda 450 (450cc) FM2 for about 6 years now. 2wd/4wd selectable which makes life easy. Heaps of grunt and never any issues when it comes to carrying a load of venison and/or a mate. I have mounted some handle bar rifle mounts and have added a switch to turn of the main headlight while the smaller lights remain on. This makes it far easier on the eyes if spotlighting. These have been my only modifications in an otherwise great bike that has never let me down. I hope this helps and good luck for the search.
    Name:  H1000003.jpg
Views: 3588
Size:  456.5 KB
    kiwi39 and Scouser like this.

Classic photo

P38
    I bought a 350cc Suzuki King Quad 4x4 for around the 2k mark.

Awesome bike ... hauls my fat arse about everywhere a man would want to go.

It's smaller than most other Quads and probally wouldn't be a good choice if you want to carry passengers all the time.

But being smaller it easily goes a few places that the bigger bikes struggle with.
    Only mod I have done is mount a winch up front for when I get myself into those spots you just cant get out of without a helping hand.

Horses for courses.

What ever you buy check it out carefully for rust in the frame and any major mechanical issues.
    A good exaust system is required for stealth.
    Cosmetic stuff like paint and plastics is purely for looks which IMO isn't a prime requirement for a hunting bike.

Cheers
    Pete

as with p38 i had a suzuki 300 kingquad. it did everything i wanted to do and more. it also has a crawler gear which was handy at times. prob not the best if you want to a trailer with heaps of gear, thats the only thing.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Mate I have had a Polaris 350cc for the last 15 years and that has been totally reliable and I would thoroughly recommend the brand. A rifle rack like you see on Keen Fella's bike would be bloody useful so invest in one and if they have a two for one deal going at the time you could always send the second one to me.
    ishoot10s likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Honda trx 300 best one Honda ever made.stable low centre of gravity.light enough that it can be man handle if bogged etc.bombproof motor.

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Mate I have had a Polaris 350cc for the last 15 years and that has been totally reliable and I would thoroughly recommend the brand.
    Yep, can only concur with that. We bought a Polaris 325 new in 1999, prob from the same place Rushy got his, and its still going strong. Simple controls, full decks, brilliant machine.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Put me down for the Honda foreman !

I have only used 4wheelers - never owned one - but I can tell you now.

Get a rifle holder like that photo.

So damn handy

OK here is my stab at help for ya, i have spent everyday on quads for the last 20 years ridden and worked on them all,
    Currently for farm/hunting 2xSuzuki 750,Yamaha Rhino,Honda 350trx.
    If you want cheap to run and maintain that will do the job for you the Honda would sure take a heap of beating
    This was the first one that come up on a tm search, these bikes can do double that in km just check the engine oil, run it and all the cv boots are good.
    Honda trx 350 2005 | Trade Me
    The take the kids hunting thing worries me a bit...... unskilled rider, kids on back
    For this the Rhino type machines are awesome, our one has a baby seat in it so the wife can help me at work
    They are also a lot more expensive to purchase and maintain
    But handle a couple of deer and 3 people with ease
    kiwi39 likes this.

Thanks for the info and suggestions thus far. Certainly like the rifle holder ideas.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Markgibsonr25 View Post
    Honda trx 300 best one Honda ever made.stable low centre of gravity.light enough that it can be man handle if bogged etc.bombproof motor.

Have to agree with you there

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!