Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By sig4x4
  • 1 Post By sig4x4
  • 1 Post By 223nut

Thread: Centre diff lock

Centre diff lock

I'll start by saying I know what diff locks are with there pros and cons.... Have an 80series landcruiser and being on Stewart island it barely gets above 30km/hr. The centre diff has a 30a fuse, have had a play around and can pull the fuse, stick it in low and still go round corners. Means I have a bit more gear selection (automatic that I can go low, hit the 2nd start button then drive with over drive off for 3rd and o/d off gets me into 4th at about 40km

What I want to know is if this is going to do any harm.... Can't see why other than it's going to get a little warmer. Makes things much easier when towing on the steep hills over here being in low box yet can't have the diff locks in or I'm going to bind things up on the tarseal

there is a plug on the transfer that tells the comp when its in low range which then automatically puts the centre diff lock in . if you unplug this plug you can run hi or low without the centre difflock engaging. just means if you want 4 lo lock you need to push difflock button on dash. awesome for reversing with a trailer . mines been unplugged for 10 years . no harm done

80 series have pretty robust drivetrains. So keeping the centre diff locked on Stewart Island type roads should be fine. It will make your turning circle a tad wider though. A centre diff when open just allows you to keep drive to all 4 wheels on tar seal. But lose traction and your 4WD becomes one wheel drive pretty quickly, until you lock up that centre diff.

Yes, low box gives you far more finesse at low speeds.

Ok, much easier to pull the fuse than a transfer box plug, fuse in the glovebox and out it in when I go somewhere sloppy (brand new m/t on the old girl....)

The seal over here has course rock in it the cheese tyres pretty quick. Lots of slow speeds, turning around at the wharf and backing trailers so can live with it in low box, even if it is a bit noiser.

Cheers for the help

Why dont you run a inline switch on one side of the fuse.
    Turn it on and on and off as required

just leave the plug unplugged .like i said mines been unplugged for near on 10 years and mine gets a fare bit of use 4x4ing,towing etc . it does not effect how it drives. it gives you more control because you decide when to lock the centre diff
    223nut likes this.

Need to give the engine bay a good water blast for the warrant still not sure if it's the power steering pump that's leaking or one of the hoses (new pump is $1k so I really hope it's a loose hose!)

Will have a good look round the transfer case and a Google to find what I'm looking for. The old girl has been in the family 20yrs and it's annoyed me the past that as soon as you Chuck it in low the diff clicks on automatically. Now it's mine I can change a few things round
    Micky Duck likes this.

My 91 Safari started getting just a little bit oily in the engine bay. Turned out to be a pinhole in the 30 year old power steering hose. Only clicked when I had the missus go from lock to lock whilst I watched, and at full lock the pinhole began spraying shit everywhere. Replaced and all good now.

Gave had it in to the garage he had a good look under while I went lock to lock, he couldn't tell where it was. Definitely leaking as I keep having to top it up!!

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Gave had it in to the garage he had a good look under while I went lock to lock, he couldn't tell where it was. Definitely leaking as I keep having to top it up!!
    Sure its not the shaft seals leaking and filling up the rack boots?

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Sure its not the shaft seals leaking and filling up the rack boots?
    Could be, my level of mechanics doesn't reach as far as shaft seals and boots other than looking and saying mmm doesn't look like it should / Google images, that's what the garage is for but I will suggest it when I take it in.

No changes in steering at all just keep an eye on it (goes from top of dipstick to the bottom over about 2wks and maybe 100km if that only needs a splash to top it up) if it gets too low it does begin to hiss at full lock.