Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: chains

chains

Looking at buyings some chains that will cope with ice and compacted snow.

I have seen these which come with a rubber tensioner, this outfit seems to do them at a good price

https://www.hamco.co.nz/ProductDetai...ProductId=2845

but also these,

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car...1674114528.htm

which I think repco sells as well, they are more expensive and and a tensioner is another $30.

Has anyone used either of these types? or could they recommend another option? Leaning towards the cheaper ones as I wouldn't use them much but wondering if it is a buy once cry once scenario?

Cheers in advance

better off with diamond pattern than just cross chains

Husky1600 likes this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    better off with diamond pattern than just cross chains
    Diamond pattern and ice breakers (v bars rather than straight chain) don't seem to go together. I've got a set of ladder v bars and a set of diamond straight chains... V bars work much better in the ice, diamond pattern works well in deep snow....

Other work vehicles just run ladder v bars and the tractor just has chain ladders with no v bars (it's a tractor doing a lot of hard work with a plough on front)

The really trick is putting them on the right set of wheels... More than once I have found a front wheel drive in he carpark with chains on the rear....

On the front for better steering and downhill, on the back for more traction going uphill

If you want chains for big 4WD tyres such as 31's, 32's, 33's etc, then we use the traditional ladder chains all the time, particularly on the clubfield access roads. If ice is a problem, then the Icebreaker type links are excellent. BUT, and thats a big but, the ones we use all the time are big mothers, like seriously bloody heavy! Not sure on the thickness of the links as I aint got mine here, but more like 8mm+, possibly even 10mm, rather than the usual 5-6mm. If you only want a set of chains in case you get in the shit, then the lighter ones will work, and then it is a good idea to go to the diamond pattern. After many years I now buy mine, and lots of spare bits from Chain Protection Services in ChCh, excellent service, chains made to fit.
    When your chains are properly fitted there should be no need for the rubber tensioners, but if you feel you need them, they are easily made from old inner tube from a tractor or similar.
    JoshC likes this.

One thing to remember is that they do stretch over time, got another 2 links out of mine since last season

Which type are also good for mud as well as snow?

Quote Originally Posted by luckey View Post
    Which type are also good for mud as well as snow?
    V bars, the bigger the better.... Running them a bit loose helps as well (just not loose enough to smack your wheel arches)

Icebreakers are mint. I have a full set for my cruiser. Will go almost anywhere with them on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    223nut likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Icebreakers are mint. I have a full set for my cruiser. Will go almost anywhere with them on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When you can be bothered putting them on.,,,

SiB
    The sobering thought I have before venturing alone with chains on, is who might, or might not be able to get in to rescue me if things turn to custard. .......

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    When you can be bothered putting them on.,,,
    Only takes 10-15 minutes. And always pays to put them on before getting into strife...
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Got 2 sets for the outback but only ever used one set. Need a new set for the triton so wondering if they can be adapted....

Outback has 215/55/27 new truck is running 245/65/17.... Guessing it's not worth trying to sort it out?

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Got 2 sets for the outback but only ever used one set. Need a new set for the triton so wondering if they can be adapted....

Outback has 215/55/27 new truck is running 245/65/17.... Guessing it's not worth trying to sort it out?
    Start again.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Start again.
    Doesn't look like it.... Triton tyres are 30mm wider and don't think the outback chain will fit, was hoping to avoid having to buy new chains for it.... Guess there is only one way to know for sure...

Lightbulb moment....landcruiser is running 265/75/16 wonder if those would fit....
    Last edited by 223nut; 26-06-2018 at 11:05 AM.