Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Cheap 4x4 Recovery kit??

A snatch block can be very handy too
    Pointer and nzcwk2005 like this.

northdude
    And a chain saw comes in handy sometimes as well
    7mmsaum and nzcwk2005 like this.

I used to carry a chainsaw in the surf. It was great even for clearing scrub on formed tracks.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

You want 2 shackles and a stretchy strop to put energy into when trying to get another truck out with your truck. If its really bottomed however it will be so sticky you will need a 20+toinne catepillar low loader and chains, been there done that, or a lot of shovels.

Since you are in Wellington have you done the 4wd's clubs courses? well worth it.
    nzcwk2005 likes this.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    You want 2 shackles and a stretchy strop to put energy into when trying to get another truck out with your truck. If its really bottomed however it will be so sticky you will need a 20+toinne catepillar low loader and chains, been there done that, or a lot of shovels.

Since you are in Wellington have you done the 4wd's clubs courses? well worth it.
    No courses, but i definately learned a few tricks in yhe army when i was younger rescueing stuvk vehicles of all shapes and sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post

I dont plan on pulling any one with the jimny, i am more inclined to just make sure im sorted if i do find myself in some bad terrain. I think i would pull a quad with a jimny and thats it. Otherwise i just see it as a risk to my own vehicle.

Just having the gear can help others aswell if there is some one else there but with no gear. I have found that a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by nzcwk2005 View Post
    I dont plan on pulling any one with the jimny, i am more inclined to just make sure im sorted if i do find myself in some bad terrain. I think i would pull a quad with a jimny and thats it. Otherwise i just see it as a risk to my own vehicle.
    I pulled out the odd cruiser when I had the jimny
    Pengy and nzcwk2005 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    Good to know

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    It's like the old saying "It's not the size that matters, but how you use it! "
    nzcwk2005 likes this.
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Aside from the usual D bolts and towing strops, I reckon the two must haves are a tirfor and a hi lift jack. Keep an eye out for the older steel cased tirfors, they are much stronger than the modern alloy rip offs.

Two other hints, make sure your recovery points on your truck are up to scratch, nothing worse than ripping bits off the wagon. And don't fall for getting a folding mini shovel, they are worthless when they break (which they do). A big full length shovel is the best, preferably metal handled so you can use it as a handle extension on the tirfor
    veitnamcam and nzcwk2005 like this.

Was always taught on recovery courses in the army the best recovery tool you can ever have is a good shovel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pointer and nzcwk2005 like this.

The most useful things I've got is a square of ply to put under the jack to stop it sinking, and a good spade. Followed by snow chains. That will get you out of most situations unless you are trying really hard to get stuck

I've carried strops for years and only used them to pull out other people, hi-lift jacks are great if you have points strong enough to lift off and can double as a winch but need to carry all the right bits
    nzcwk2005 likes this.

your jimny might weigh fuck all, but youll need to have rated gear to cover all weights of vehicle I reckon around 4000kg plus is a good minimum
    nzcwk2005 likes this.
    #BallisticFists

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    We pulled our mates wagon just like yours which was teetering on a edge of a 40m straight gorge off with our 4 wheelers but it slid and just about pulled us all over.This was about 4 months ago and I hate driving past it.Best trick I heard was to use 12mm rope as snow chains. When used just cut them off.
    I have used that trick the other day on my escudo . Could not climb a wet hill and was stuck in a gorge. Got the nylon rope out, and wrapped it around the rear tyres making sure that during the traction the rope was not gona tear the inlet valves.
    Worked like charm. I have kept those to pieces of rope for next time I get stuck. Meanwhile I am on the look out for some good tyres ...:-)
    nzcwk2005 likes this.