Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Cheap to run car

Cheap to run car

I'm am beginning to travel about 500kms a week, and am thinking my 10l/100km is starting to hurt the wallet a bit.
    Started looking at newer cars, but to get something good looking at between 10-15k, but can get some pretty good deals.
    Was looking at station wagons so I can still load up the back with stuff, but a bigger hatch back might do the trick.

Anyone recommend something under 10k that will return good mileage, whilst not breaking down and being comfortable to drive.
    In the near future I may be starting to do up to 800kms a week, so it'll definitely make a difference then.

Cheers

Caretaker
    You don't want much

The 10L/100km you are currently enjoying is quite low fuel consumption and will only increase if you use a stationwagon with a load in the back.

I would biff any luxuries, ciggies, alcohol, sweets, presents for the mrs, pies etc and buy more fuel, then hunt more.

Luxury food and cigarettes/tobacco and any form of alcohol can be the biggest personal misappropriation of money you will ever see in your lifetime, these three thin the wallet whilst lulling you into accepting the process and consequences.
    Grim, Spanners, jakewire and 5 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    You will be lucky to save more than $30/week (in a petrol vehicle) going to a very efficient vehicle so based on that vs the additional cost of upgrading I don't see it as a wise financial decision to do it on fuel consumption alone.
    $10K will get you fuck all car. Run yours into the ground and save on the side for something better. Any cash you put into a vehicle is dead, depreciating money.

Or, buy a motorbike.

For pure fuel consumption a VW Polo TDi uses 3.7L - 4.2L / 100km depending on model and which publication's figures you believe. It is a small car though with limited luggage capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    You don't want much

The 10L/100km you are currently enjoying is quite low fuel consumption and will only increase if you use a stationwagon with a load in the back.

I would biff any luxuries, ciggies, alcohol, sweets, presents for the mrs, pies etc and buy more fuel, then hunt more.

Luxury food and cigarettes/tobacco and any form of alcohol can be the biggest personal misappropriation of money you will ever see in your lifetime, these three thin the wallet whilst lulling you into accepting the process and consequences.
    I'm already pretty good at going without things, I'm living by myself at the moment and spending $20 a week on food, which I think is bloody good.
    I'm just thinking the 5k+ a year I spend on fuel, and that'l probably rise soon, could be reduced and the money I save go towards a much more comfortable car to drive.

Was considering a motorbike, plenty of fun but not the most practical. I may be looking at commuting an hour each way to work in the near future, so want something comfortable and something I wouldn't mind driving around the country.

I may have set myself an impossible task though, so might just have to change my search criteria.

I looked at getting another motor bike a couple of years ago but the Safari worked out cheaper to run. Big km I'd go diesel without question.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

faark $20 a week on food is not bad

Girl down here had a cheap polo for sale, smelly rag stuff
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

No not the girl the car you wankers
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

The Original Striker
    depends also on the type of kms a week you do? fast traffic or slow? Im getting better economy in my 3.8+ ltr car than that of my work mates in a 2.5ltr, same kms as you, all my transit is out side traffic jam time though
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

Here is one for ya
    Name:  10001448_541676795948005_1018161734_n.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  45.8 KB
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

My vote would go to sticking with what you have too. If you went diesel which are cheaper at the pump to fill and more economical you have to pay more in rego and road user taxes etc.. and 10k wont buy you much car as someone else has already said.. in saying that I drive a 2ltr non turbo impreza 4wd which manages close to 700km to a tank on the open road, only around 500 - 600 km per tank in town though... There are probably easier ways to save money on fuel than another car, otherwise I'd put your budget up another 5k maybe...

Regarding petrol / diesel costs, here is a little analysis that I ran on my car (petrol powered 2.5L twin turbo V6) versus a 1.9L turbo diesel. Oil price is based on retail for Mobil One.

My car:

Fuel Type Petrol
    L/100km 9.5
    KMs per year 20,000
    Oil change interval 5,000

Fuel cost per year $4,427
    Service cost per year $400
    RUCs per year $0
    Licensing cost per year $281

TOTAL COST (per year) $5,108
    TOTAL COST (per month) $425.63
    TOTAL COST (per week) $98.22

Diesel car

Fuel Type Diesel
    L/100km 5.9
    KMs per year 20,000
    Oil change interval 15,000

Fuel cost per year $1,770
    Service cost per year $81
    RUCs per year $1,060
    Licensing cost per year $422

TOTAL COST (per year) $3,333
    TOTAL COST (per month) $277.77
    TOTAL COST (per week) $64.10

My car is 53% more expensive to operate than the diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Regarding petrol / diesel costs, here is a little analysis that I ran on my car (petrol powered 2.5L twin turbo V6) versus a 1.9L turbo diesel. Oil price is based on retail for Mobil One.

My car:

Fuel Type Petrol
    L/100km 9.5
    KMs per year 20,000
    Oil change interval 5,000

Fuel cost per year $4,427
    Service cost per year $400
    RUCs per year $0
    Licensing cost per year $281

TOTAL COST (per year) $5,108
    TOTAL COST (per month) $425.63
    TOTAL COST (per week) $98.22

Diesel car

Fuel Type Diesel
    L/100km 5.9
    KMs per year 20,000
    Oil change interval 15,000

Fuel cost per year $1,770
    Service cost per year $81
    RUCs per year $1,060
    Licensing cost per year $422

TOTAL COST (per year) $3,333
    TOTAL COST (per month) $277.77
    TOTAL COST (per week) $64.10

My car is 53% more expensive to operate than the diesel.
    Cheers, just say you managed to sell your car and had to pay an extra 5k to buy a newer diesel, after 3 years the new car would've paid for itself.

The only thing I'm worried about is the modern Common rail engines seem to be prone to problems. Modern petrols get excellent fuel economy too, but not sure if they are gutless compared to their diesel counterparts.

Yeah and then you have things like diesel bug and particulate filter issues etc. *Shrugs* I guess all cars have their risks though.