Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Coolant colour

Coolant colour

So I decided the Daihatsu Terios needed a bit of t.l.c. so oil and filter no issue, air filter done can't find the fuel filter but suspect it is hiding under the bashplate for the tank.

Struck a problem with the coolant.... Picked up a jug if the usual green ethyl glycol stuff, got home and realised that it has pink stuff in it.

So what's the difference? Manual just says ethyl glycol doing a full change so won't mix, ideas as to what difference is? Makes 7/8th of F. all difference?

Os if anyone else has a Terios where is the fuel filter hiding?! Please don't tell me in the tank, the filter looks inline not on a pick up

Don't mix them they go lumpy

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/ho...-a-fuel-filter

dont mix coolants of different colours. not quite as nasty as a pint of roundup in the engine oil but close

northdude
    If you mix them it will eat your radiator within weeks even mixing the same type can do it so if your changing it drain it and flush the system with clean water to get all the old stuff out before refilling it

northdude
    And you dont want your heater core eaten

Planned on doing a flush of straight water once drained, system has ,2 air bleed valves so should get it all out. just concerned changing colour, one site mentioned pink for alloy and green for cast iron blocks
    dannyb likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Monoethylene glycol is clear. I’m interested to understand what the difference is between the coloured antifreezes. I’d thought it was only a dye to identify it as being toxic over its safer cousin monopropylene glycol. I’d never have thought mixing brands would result in a catastrophic result.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

SiB
    Certain vehicles require specific coolant because of the metals used in the engine block etc. I suppose it’s to do with electrolysis and/or the conductivity of the coolant.
    Apparently in some euro cars it yis absolutely vital you only use what’s specified

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Monoethylene glycol is clear. I’m interested to understand what the difference is between the coloured antifreezes. I’d thought it was only a dye to identify it as being toxic over its safer cousin monopropylene glycol. I’d never have thought mixing brands would result in a catastrophic result.
    Try it and let us know how you fet on

northdude
    Theres blue as well

and purple.

Bit of a headache... Worst case the green goes in a different vehicle. Need to buy more anyway, was in a rush and looking at one label "makes 7.5l" manual says I need 6, all good. Except when I look at the second label and that 7.5l is not with 50/50ix it's only 5l when 1:1 ratio of water. Wouldn't worry about ratio if topping it up but since it's a full flush it would be good to get it right

Often seen rusty red/brown coloured one too

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    Often seen rusty red/brown coloured one too
    Yep, especially when fishing a 20+ year old heater core.....