Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By 223nut
  • 3 Post By madmaori

Thread: Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT vs Cooper Zeon LTZ

Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT vs Cooper Zeon LTZ

I've been running Cooper Discoverer AT3 LTs on my Ford Ranger (265/65 x 18). They have been an excellent tyre and I've been really pleased with them.
    Went to price up a new set and the tyre dealer recommended I consider Cooper Zeon LTZ in 285/60 x 18. Same OD but slightly wider.

I'm reluctant to change as I've had such a good run with the AT3's, has anyone here had any experience with the Cooper Zeon?
    Last edited by duckdog; 19-01-2020 at 08:32 AM.

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    I have AT3’s on the Defender, and agree they are a great tyre. Do you really need the extra 3/4” width? It may cause more wear and tear on bushes and steering components than any additional traction is worth.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Another that has had a good run with the at3s, going to ned new tyres on a different vehicle this winter and trying to decide as well so following. Previpusly had maxxis m/t and thinking i dont need a m/t with the kms driven on black top vs mud

Do the zeon come with the same km warranty? @madmaori may have some advice. They look like a small sidwall, not much 'give' if you let air out. But maybe thats just the photos
    Last edited by 223nut; 19-01-2020 at 01:12 PM.
    madmaori likes this.

Had a look last year and practically every tyre when looking for a new set. If you do look at changing, have a look at the Toyo Open Country A/T II. they do LT versions good road/gravel tyres.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Have Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx on my ute and never again, they are actually an excellent tyre for everything except tarseal in the rain, I have zero confidence in them and have stepped the bum out on more than a few occasions despite being wary of the shortcoming. Apart from that they're pretty bloody good as far as an AT goes, dont seems to hold the truck back on stuff I would usually consider MT territory and in the dry they behave very nicely. It's a shame because I like everything about them and the brand apart from that and would run a cooper again but havent had much luck getting any kind of feedback from them or tyreland where they were purchased and fitted.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

I have the Zeons on my Ranger. Great tyre that lasts. I have done over 60k kms on them and would be confident of another 20k minimum. However the previous tyres i was averaging about 8.5l per 100km.. I am not a fast driver, with the Zeons i am struggling to get under 10l per 100km. Would i buy them again.. i dont know but i will certainly consider them.

Anyone wanna buy a Ranger 112000km, 2016 with canopy $31k. Will come with brand new tyres as i will keep my Coopers and mags.

Quote Originally Posted by duckdog View Post
    I've been running Cooper Discoverer AT3 LTs on my Ford Ranger (265/65 x 18). They have been an excellent tyre and I've been really pleased with them.
    Went to price up a new set and the tyre dealer recommended I consider Cooper Zeon LTZ in 285/60 x 18. Same OD but slightly wider.

I'm reluctant to change as I've had such a good run with the AT3's, has anyone here had any experience with the Cooper Zeon?
    Don't fix something that aint broken!
    Nothing at all wrong with the zeon-they really are a great bit of rubber but I would sooner stick with the AT3 as they tend to be a bit more robust and have seen better km's on a regular basis out of them.
    jakewire, Tommy and duckdog like this.
    Bay Tyres-Driving the best deal since ages ago

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Have Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx on my ute and never again, they are actually an excellent tyre for everything except tarseal in the rain, I have zero confidence in them and have stepped the bum out on more than a few occasions despite being wary of the shortcoming. Apart from that they're pretty bloody good as far as an AT goes, dont seems to hold the truck back on stuff I would usually consider MT territory and in the dry they behave very nicely. It's a shame because I like everything about them and the brand apart from that and would run a cooper again but havent had much luck getting any kind of feedback from them or tyreland where they were purchased and fitted.
    What tyre pressure are you running ryan?? I have always run mine quite low especially on the rear if i carry bugger all weight around.
    The ST Maxx is closer to a M/T than a A/T and i have found them to behave quite nicely for what they are , sure they do get a bit slippery in the rain but a tyre with a fairly aggressive tread pattern and a L/T casing does tend to do that.
    Im even looking at pulling off my not even half worn AT3's and replacing with the ST Maxx in the near future cause i like them that much!
    Bay Tyres-Driving the best deal since ages ago

MSL
    I normally run my stt pros at 34psi, but let them down to 25 in October when hunting I the South Island. Handled the boulders in the river better, but also felt more secure on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk