Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By SiB
  • 1 Post By Mathias
  • 1 Post By northdude
  • 3 Post By Tommy

Thread: Delamination of trailer's brake pads

Delamination of trailer's brake pads

So, new trailer and after about (maybe going from rough guess) 1000kms, and (more accurately from sounder logs) 34 trips, would you expect the brake pads on both sides to delaminate from the steel backing?

Now 28 of those outings, the boat moves 200m to the ramp - high heat no issue. The others are a 200km one way trip but no issue as a stopped over night before lunching. A couple of 20km trips where they could have got warm/hot before dunking.

Is it just shit pads, or something else to look at?

Oh and it's a 2.1 T boat and trailer, towed by a Toyota highlander. And it still stopped all ok - just a bit of noise..
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

SiB
    I’m no mechanic but I’d be looking at the brake hubs/rotors to see what was happening there......

A conversation with a technician from BNT (who rebuild units I think) might be informative
    Beaker likes this.

There are a few things to check first, are the brakes not fully releasing or coming on to soon? It wouldn’t take long for them to get hot but I would have thought you would have noticed something odd. They may just be crap pads but I haven’t seen them delaminate before usually they will wear out prematurely or not work to well when hot if they are crap. You should take it back to where you bought it?
    Photos of discs and pads would be interesting.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

I didn't take a pic of the discs, they looked OK.
    But here is one of the pads. Heaps of meat, but let go.
    Name:  IMAG4239.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  3.88 MB

I should have mentioned, its just a standard hydraulic Trojan system.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    @Beaker, Trojan supply both stainless backed pads and steel backed pads. If your calipers are stainless then they should be stainless backed as well. Doesn't look like corrosion going by the pix but straight out delamination. Stainless is a prick of a substrate to bond anything too, so could be just a failure. I would expect more life, but these thing happen.
    Beaker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    @Beaker, Trojan supply both stainless backed pads and steel backed pads. If your calipers are stainless then they should be stainless backed as well. Doesn't look like corrosion going by the pix but straight out delamination. Stainless is a prick of a substrate to bond anything too, so could be just a failure. I would expect more life, but these thing happen.
    That's where I'm at - Shit happens.
    Hopefully a one time event

northdude
    Maybe they not getting a heat up to evaporate the water after a dunking most common thing i see is corosion undet the lining on boat trailers
    Beaker likes this.

Did it happen to all four pads, I was thinking the pads may have not been fitted properly and they jammed in the slides/mounts then the piston may have bent the pad slightly breaking the pad off the backing steel. I sure hope it’s a one off.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

All four were like that. New set of pads was only thirty something bucks, the none stainless version. I reckon it was the cook/dunk myself, or possibly a good over heat - have seen track day car pads do this a bit
    Beaker, Mathias and 2post like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt