Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: dot sell your boat until

Quote Originally Posted by trapperjohn View Post
    Its all property types across the board that are selling not just the households.
    sections, lifesyle, bushblocks-big and small, beef blocks, not so much dairy.

An average townhouse in Aucks can get someone into a 100hec plus beef block in the far north or buy two or three small bushblocks or two beach baches.
    Yes, what do those that live in the North do when they sell, and where do they go, it is a slippery slope.
    The values of property in the North are going up quickly with demand, like air going into a bubble...will it burst or will it just keep inflating, not a case of if but when, who knows.
    Property just seams to be a safe place for some to put there dolleros rather than the bank at a 1% or whatever low return.

Not good for those wanting to get on the property ladder, maybe thats a clue to when the bubble bursts.

Oh yeh, and I'm a BB just not a CUBB.
    Yes - that is happening in a lot of regions that were previously on the "not so desired list"
    A lot of those people living there - prob not to happy about it either - some of us like it slow and quiet :-)
    But - it scares the crap out of me - thinking of Town House owners buying 100ha Farms - what for - to grow ragwort :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    My first mortgage was @ 17.25%

I hope for the sake of all those who never remember what it was like the dice does not swing back that way.....cause it would cause much pain

Yes we were the same & in a lot of ways that changed my path in life ,we had brought our first home & acreage in early 80's ,l was 22 & we had a terrible time, we were basically eating what l could shoot & my then GF, now wife, grow in our own veggie patch.As always the financial strain on a young couple nearly broke us,l knew l had to do something, l had learnt to shear on my old mans farm from when l was 14 & had mates who were making good money shearing in OZ, so l decided to give it 3 months, knowing if l failed l would probably lose everything l had at home.

This was the during the Wide Comb cluster fuck in OZ & aussies calling strikes trying to force us out ,we had countless mass blues, literally standing back to back punching on with locals who wanted to scalp us ,picking bloodied mates up from the ground who would get the living shit kicked out of them if they were not helped ,had shots fired over the quarters at night etc ,etc all that made us just push,work harder & stopped us pissing our money away which l watched a lot of blokes do .Young Dumb & Full Of Cum sums us up & l sometimes wonder how we got out in one piece, although l had good mates succumb to busted backs & hooked on pain killers or Alco's unfortunately neither l would wish on my worst enemy.

The real saving grace was that Fox skins & rabbits for the Chillers were getting good money,we would shear all day ,get the cook to wrap a plate of food for us in foil & we would try to get a couple of hours sleep while it got dark.Then we would shoot foxes for 4-6 hours,staple them to boards stacked in the back of the utes, then get back to the quarters for a couple of hours sleep & do it all again .I still like cold roasts,pizza,BBQ meat etc etc as much as hot ,we would shoot,skin ,clean 300 rabbits a night while eating cold rabbit stew or roast rabbit sandwiches ,l still like rabbit. No brain no pain, but good at lifting heavy stuff .

Ended up spent 6 years shearing around the world UK ,Scotland ,America which not only enabled me to keep our house ,but then for my missus to travel with me while we rented it out & it gave me the contacts/opportunity to start Guiding around the world, as well as a means to support us in between guiding jobs while l got my foot in the door ,later a older (no smarter ) did mining jobs for the same benefit .

If it was not for the opportunity taken to risk taking on Shearing those killer rates would have swallowed me & who knows what would have come of me .This is one of the reasons ,l have always treated everyone as equal ,Black ,White or Brindle & as they treated me l make a good mate & terrible enemy & although not religious live by the motto there but for the grace of god goes l .

I hope younger generations never see those killer Rates again ,but l think we will.
    Last edited by bunji; 22-02-2021 at 10:12 PM.
    madjon_, gadgetman, Tuidog and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    @berg243, what kind of boat were you looking for?
    There is west coast boats here between Hamilton and Raglan ( Te uku) that makes some pretty good crafts. I m not sure how busy he is at the moment.
    Is he still making boats?
    I know he knocked of for awhile. He makes really good boats though.
    Overkill is still dead.

Borrow as much as you can in order to enjoy your life and health while you can.Saving up for something, especially in business just means you cannot enjoy its advantages because you don't have it.

I sunk $100k into my business when I was 28 I had been working like a dog for 8 years to come up with the money.I was able to free hold all my machinery and didnt I think that was great! Year later along comes the global financial crisis and wipes 50% off the value of my fleet! I should have used $20k as deposit and gambled the rest off the bank.Because I had now effectively worked four years for free!

Who knows where the housing market is going in New Zealand? I see there are 30,000 skilled work Visa's waiting to be processed,20,000 of those are permitted to bring their spouses.

That's 50,000 units of housing that need to be found,which is only going to push the price one way.
    rugerman and BRADS like this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

@Friwi i am looking for a 4.5m to 5m alloy pontoon style boat. still have a 14ft fyran that we use if only 2 going and sea conditions reasonable but was after something that could handle a bit of rough weather and travel a bit further.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    @Friwi i am looking for a 4.5m to 5m alloy pontoon style boat. still have a 14ft fyran that we use if only 2 going and sea conditions reasonable but was after something that could handle a bit of rough weather and travel a bit further.
    Have you looked at DNA boats in Nelson? I know he is busy but he always seems to have something laying around. While I am a big Stabi fan I don't think I would every be able to buy a new boat off them after my last dealings with them (early 2020).

It does now look like this has taken a sideways movement from the OP, but still interesting hearing peoples travels.
    I left school at 15, parents were not happy about it.......well you have to pay rent and get a job. I door knocked every bloody building company in the town in one day with no luck until my last door, 4.30 pm and the receptionist said he wont be long, 5pm you could always come back (hell if I didn't get a job that day I would have been kicked out of home), I said I will be fine. Got up and started washing the dishes, by 5.30 I was employed.
    I always look back at how I thought he was doing me wrong, under paying me, etc and always trying to look for that extra money. Now I'm in his position dealing with these pimply arsed kids.

There aren't to many these days that come door knocking, most have there mom ring for them to see if there is any work and unfortunately they are the worst of the lot. The kid might be ok and work hard but normally a couple months in to it we get a phone call from mom saying we are working him to hard.

Yep also have the guy's that want to f*&k of to Aus for better money.....I had one that buggered of to the mines for 3 times the money and thought he was made...I always said to him if you want to work those hours you can make it here. Another done the same thing, not the mines though but he had to travel 1.5hrs each way in his own vehicle and at his own cost.
    Each to there own. I have these guy's working for me again or I'm still good mates with them and I feel like I'm the one that missed out!

People aren't making money out of house's unless they had 2 off them. Selling and buying back in the same market no one is winning!
    Yep my first house was at 9% and I couldn't really afford it but banks did play differently back then, you only have to read some thing like rich dad, poor dad. Get a low valuation for the buy then paint some walls and get another valuation and borrow against that.

At the end of the day, is there a right way to live your life? Die with money in the bank? Die with no money in the bank? The only real winner is the one that's trying to live life to the fullest in the time they have....which nobody knows. I still think of a certain forum member.
    Do what you do, don't beat your kids, love your wife and family and you will always have flowers on your head stone.....
    veitnamcam and mikee like this.

Bloody hell I've just thought of something else....
    Is the man that is ticked up to the eyeballs with all the toys happy, probably not because he is just a "dick stretcher", and probably cant even afford to use them or take time of work because he needs the income to pay for the interest on the toys.
    Is the man that can maybe afford the debt on the boat and use it with his family or mates and create memory's that last for ever a "dick stretcher" ? I don't think so.
    I once read something by a very cleaver and wealthy man who always said...never have debt against a depreciating asset! you know what.....his kids are spoiled buggers who probably don't even but flowers on his head stone. Shame really he was only trying to make some money to buy the boat for the family but actually forgot about the family on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    We did a 3 week & then 2 week Hunt / dive/ fishing trips down at Stewy in 2018 in one of our hunting groups sons boat a 5 mtr DNA, l was pretty impressed with it & how it handled a few really rough days ,may be look at them as a option as well .

I am pretty sure there are some new senator boats for sale at rollo marine here in hamilton if it is a pontoon boat you are after.

But I thought the best time of the year to buy a boat or a bike was at the end of the season or middle of the year when the prices are at there lowest?