Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By JoshC
  • 1 Post By gonetropo
  • 1 Post By Flyblown
  • 1 Post By Flyblown

Thread: Dual battery setup for 70 series cruiser

Dual battery setup for 70 series cruiser

Can someone with first hand experience of dual battery setups in 70 series cruisers or similar point me in the direction of a decent kit for this.

Cheers

My 105 and the farm 70 both had Redarc kits in them. No issues with them at all.
    Shamus likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

canterbury auto electrical suppliers in waterloo rd. 366 9600
    they supply all the parts to auto sparkies so will probably have what you want
    Shamus likes this.

What year 70 series?

I have two of these in two different vehicles. Have had them 8 years now and they work perfectly. BCDC1240 with MMPT. Used to power 2x 110 amp/hr AGM batteries which run two 80L Engels, lighting, an invertor and misc bits and pieces. I plug in the solar when parked up.

https://www.redarcelectronics.co.nz/...attery-charger

You can get these a hell of a lot cheaper in Australia on eBay from reputable suppliers.
    Shamus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    What year 70 series?

redarc only way to go

Cheers guys, sounds like redarc is the way to go

The Redarc systems are very straightforward to build yourself, if you're that way inclined. All about proper cable termination, proper crimps, solder, the right gauge cables. In my Hiluxes, I've got them installed in the tray, inside a Frontrunner Wolfpack box, with the batteries.

You should make sure your alternator is up to the job. When the aux battery(s) are discharged, and the Redarc charges in bulk mode, it will pull a lot of amps from the alternator. I see your Cruiser is getting on a bit, so I'd start with the alternator, easy to check and upgrade especially seeing as how you won't have any complicated electronic engine management to worry about. A strong cranking battery is also important, if you are running the accessories a lot and only running the truck for a short period, the cranking battery won't get a fair go and if its already tired, it might let you down.

The last thing is always follow the instructions, ha ha. We've helped a few blokes in Aus with their homegrown electrics, particularly in RVs and caravans, and when there's a problem its almost always because of poor installation. These systems can create a fire just like that, due to poor terminations, loose connections, incorrect wire gauge or stepping down the gauge from large to smaller on a high current connection (not uncommon!).

One of my systems had a hot moment not long ago due to a loose connection and it melted cable insulation and thankfully made a bad smell which was what told me I had a problem. Totally 100% my fault.
    Shamus likes this.