Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By gonetropo
  • 1 Post By PillowDribbler
  • 4 Post By gonetropo
  • 1 Post By debo
  • 2 Post By rewa

Thread: Electric bike: battery woes

SiB

Electric bike: battery woes

My wife succeeded in hooking up a spare laptop charger (14v) to her electric bike battery (38v?).

It looks like the battery is “cooked”. It won’t come up to charge on the correct charger

I see online prices of $750 for a replacement carrier type battery pack (it’s uses 40x #18650s apparently!) so am keen to recover this battery if at all possible!

Any suggestions from the forum?

I have thought about throwing the battery pack into the freezer for a couple of days ..... or are we even beyond that???

And yes. The vigorous discussions regarding taking care which charger to use have been had.....

lithium ion or lithium polymer ?
    the charger shouldnt have stuffed the battery, i'm surprised the opposite didnt occur
    if you ar esure the battery is stuffed try battery masta in christchurch or the battery cell in wellington

https://www.thebatterycellonline.co.nz/
    Battery Masta | BatteryMasta

the freezer thing mostly was for nickel cadmium and nickel metal hydride
    mikee likes this.

SiB
    Not sure on exact battery details re Li polymer or ion type. I’ll check out specifics after work today. Noted re freezing

And yes I’m bringing home the labeller so there’s never any confusion again!

Run a multi-meter over everything,see whats going on.
    rugerman likes this.

worst case scenario, send the battery to me. if i cant do it i will drop it off at battery masta for you

Possibly just stuffed the charge controller board. Could be worth finding a replacement off aliexpress if the cells turn out to be OK.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

SiB
    Charge controller board?
    Sounds doable- I’ll check it over tonight and pm you for details!

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    Charge controller board?
    Sounds doable- I’ll check it over tonight and pm you for details!
    It will be inside the battery pack. Quite often goes belly up in laptop batteries.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

hi, you should be able to recover the battery. It is probably the protection board inside the battery. Dismantle the battery to get to the PCB (usually sitting just underneath the plastic cover)
    1, check for anything with the smoke blown out of it. (black and brown parts)
    2, check for fuses that have blown,
    3, Check the battery voltage at the battery side of the PCB. If it too low, then the circuit on the PCB will turn off to protect the battery. You can bypass the PCB and charge the batteries. Once the batteries have got to the right voltage, then the PCB will kick back into life.
    rewa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    My wife succeeded in hooking up a spare laptop charger (14v) to her electric bike battery (38v?).

It looks like the battery is “cooked”. It won’t come up to charge on the correct charger

I see online prices of $750 for a replacement carrier type battery pack (it’s uses 40x #18650s apparently!) so am keen to recover this battery if at all possible!

Any suggestions from the forum?

I have thought about throwing the battery pack into the freezer for a couple of days ..... or are we even beyond that???

And yes. The vigorous discussions regarding taking care which charger to use have been had.....
    If all else fails,you could try the Green-Hub, PN,Manawatu, they were building battery-packs for E-bikes out of dead power-tool batterys> The guy running the research at Massey-Uni. on super-solar-panels. set up electric bike production. A complete bike was $450 until the retailers of crap Chinese ones complained and they raised them near 1k. I will try and contact them if you have no luck
    stingray and WallyR like this.