Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: This electric car fad...

This electric car fad...

I don't really know about these new-fangled electric cars.

All of the propoganda I see coming out supporting them seems to be generated by the electricity industry, I call bullshit.

Example - I can plug my hydrocarbon fuelled vehicle in and recharge it on average once per week - it takes approx. 10 mins. Electric car takes from best case of 40mins to worst case of several hours, every night or more frequently depending on useage tying me to a specific parking spot which makes my garage less versatile and requires an extra step to remember every night and more importantly before I leave!!!

Hydrocarbon fuelled car, still going after 9 years. Electric likely to need new batteries after 4-5years.

Hydrocarbon car, limited environmental footprint from manufacture, electric batteries create more pollution and take more energy to produce than they will comparatively save over their lifetime.

Hydrocarbon car, usually quite safe in terms of fuel supply in the event of an accident. Electric car, who knows especially in the event of water ingress into lithium batteries (bang central). Also dangers from current discharge due to earthing the battery system...

Hydrocarbon fuel, creates carbon where it is burned but can be treated in the exhaust. Electricity in the case of hydro generation, massive environmental cost in terms of alteration of native fish movements on the river systems, pollution from the plant entering the waterways, loss of amenity values (hydros are terribly ugly), alteration in coastal ecology due to algae build up and lack of the natural flushing cycle in the river system not clearing the harbours.

Vehicle spec for vehicle spec, electric cars are more expensive to purchase and are restrictive in terms of area of operation, so at this stage for me they need to have either a much greater range than the equivalent hydrocarbon fuelled car, easier and quicker recharge facilities or a way cheaper purchase price.

What is your viewpoint on these things, do you use one to travel out of town?
    Fawls likes this.

I very nearly walked out in front of one, lucky I looked, couldn't bloody hear it in the car park area...., amazing how much you use your ears, yeah I'm not that deaf either.....

Yeah, funny you mention that. I have a c**t mate that drives one for his work wagon. His favourite trick is hide in it and wait till someone walks past and floor the thing then haul on the picks. Gets me everytime, without fail.
    WallyR likes this.

Ask Richard Hammond what he thinks of them
    Shootm, Tommy, gonetropo and 1 others like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

In terms of the environment electric cars are better than solar power for housing, as about 80% of our electricity is generated by renewable energy.
    But I agree the battery technology needs to be vastly better and the infrastructure for charging needs to be leading. There should be fast charge points in EVERY parking building, mall carpark. Not one or two, but heaps.
    I live in the country and electric cars are not really an option. A 90k return trip to town was around the limit of distance a while back, don't know what is now.
    As an example a friend looked at going off-grid with his house 17yr ago. It was 20k to connect to the grid and 20K to go offgrid, but he would have to replace the batteries every 5 years for about 5k, which was about 5yrs of electricity at the time. Batteries now are cheaper and better.
    rossi.45 likes this.

MSL
    Where did the 4-5year battery life come from?
    Pengy likes this.

What he was told at the time. Oops were you reffering to my post or the original one?

Here is some info https://cleantechnica.com/2016/05/31...atteries-last/

“Obviously, nobody knows exactly how long Tesla packs will last. The math is somewhat simple, though. The full capacity of a lithium-ion battery cell should be good for 300 to 500 cycles. So if you drive a Roadster through 300 194-mile standard-mode cycles, it translates to 58,200 miles. If it’s 500 cycles, how does 97,000 miles on one set of batteries sound?

“Of course, as Battery University explains, it’s not as simple as that. After 300 to 500 cycles at 100 percent depth of discharge, a lithium-ion cell’s capacity will drop to 70 percent. But partial discharge “reduces stress and prolongs battery life.” Drain the batteries consistently to only 50 percent, as is often the case with electric cars that get plugged in frequently, and life expectancy of a healthy battery zooms up to 1,200 to 1,500 cycles. That, of course, translates to 366,000 miles, but don’t expect numbers like that on your odometer. Other wild cards such as frequency of fast recharge can also affect battery life.”

This site states 8 years https://www.eecabusiness.govt.nz/tec...-battery-life/
    Last edited by stug; 13-06-2017 at 01:21 PM.
    rossi.45 likes this.

when for a blast in a Tesla on Sunday. Wholly shit balls, that thing can move, and so so quite.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Can't go Auckland to Wellington on 1 charge and have to make multiple stops for lengthy periods to recharge - fuk that
    I do 900 - 1200km around Auckland each week. Thats a lot of coffee stops to recharge
    Electric cars are not paying their way as far as road tax goes however once they have become an established form of transport that will change. Probably along the line of RUC
    If wife had an electric car and ran a lead out the window at work to recharge, this is theft?. If boss was an arsehole because 20 other people did the same then she probably wouldn't make daycare in time to pick up kids
    Would be a hit with spotlight poachers as long as they keep enough in reserve to gap it out of there

As far as the quite issue goes, you should be able to download an App so it sounds like an Aussie V8 Supercar going down conrod straight
    gonetropo likes this.

Ran out of gas
    Name:  DIY-PHEV-GadgetReview.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  89.0 KB

Yep electric cars are around town commuter vehicles, rather than long distance trip vehicles.
    $14500 for a round town commute, Nissan Leaf Brand New NZ 240V Home Charger 2011 | Trade Me

I had to look twice at the "12 Bars" line, FFS they have a battery life meter... I bet it's about as good as my phone too, 100%, 95%, 75%, 50%, 5% call cut off. It really doesn't make them look any more attractive to me looking at one - they just aren't any use for what I do in my normal driving and I'm only 6Km out of town.

In the old days we used to run the spotlight off the vehicle, makes it a bit of a different situation when you might end up walking home if you use the light heaps...

No question the damn things can move, but the issue for me is they just ain't user friendly...
    Last edited by Mauser308; 13-06-2017 at 01:40 PM.

GWH
    It will be a sad sad day when you can no longer buy a petrol/diesel powdered vehicle, if it ever happens (not in my life time i hope).

EV technology is improving at a fast rate, there are new battery technologies being developed all the time. Currently expensive but that will most certainly change over time, as does any new technology once its been around a while and becomes more mainstream.

Modern diesel engines are becoming quite incredible with power output and economy, are are surely the best bet overall for power, economy and range (apart from environmental).

I cant help but think that eventually a new fuel technology will propel engines/vehicles of the future, even more so than EV. Every now and again you here stories that some one has invented an engine that runs on something other than normal fuel types, but the idea gets purchased by the fuel companies/or the inventor mysteriously goes missing. If true, maybe when fuel supplies do run out they will introduce that technology to the market.

One pint no one seems to have picked up on.

We have all seen the movies where the cop shoots a fleeing car in the petrol tank and it explodes and we all know this is bullshit and wont happen. (But it looks cool in the movies...)

Now with the use of Lithium Ion batteries, what happens to the batteries if the cop hits one with a bullet??????? Impact or damage can trigger a dramatic reaction in lithium batteries. I recently got a new lounge because of a faulty one and it was a single 18650!!!!! In the movies when the cop hits a batteries of an electric car, will it turn into a flaming torch or will the director think "Its a battery so its bullet proof"....?
    veitnamcam and gadgetman like this.