Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By ZQLewis

Thread: Fitting hydraulic steering to boat

Fitting hydraulic steering to boat

Ok putting hydraulic steering in my Sea Nymph 566, prick of a job getting it to bits, working in cramped quarters and punching holes thru my thin skin!!!
    Now what’s the best way to remove the steering cable from the boat? Forwards or backwards or in bits? Would like to save for recycling!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

LBD
    In pieces using a sharp bolt cutter or cable cutter

Quote Originally Posted by LBD View Post
    In pieces using a sharp bolt cutter or cable cutter
    Its a very good unit, rack and pinion type, but if I have to I will!!!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    I'm serious when I say that it went in, in one piece. It will come out...

But make sure you tie something solid to it, not only to help mouse the replacement hydraulic pipes back but to also allow you to wiggle the cable back and forward if it jams in a squeeze area. It will come out... I'm not sure now from memory how those boats were put together but generally the fiberglass hulls were fairly open and easy to work on - not sure what the issue is that you're finding, maybe a mod or a hull package I haven't seen before?
    Ill free it up from where it attached, I think it needs to go forward, then around the door to the cabin an out the back of the boat in a 180 degree turn, have to get the motor control rod back through the hull, its mixed in with the engine cables, seems flexible enough. The rack behind the steering has to be threaded through the wiring behind the gauges, fish finder and radio etc.
    Ill just swear and curse, it will follow my instructions
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

The argument has been won, I had a slight mod to enlarge the hole where the cable comes out of the motor and into the hull, well width wouldn’t let the rod in the hole, having to come straight out of the engine tube, the motor being a little higher I couldnt bend it down through the hole, but after that a piece of piss!!Name:  63F108F1-0E7D-44AD-984D-B5482ECD11BD.jpeg
Views: 344
Size:  3.73 MBName:  1D1AC871-C40B-4FF9-8B07-A0FCC19AFC2B.jpeg
Views: 263
Size:  3.64 MBName:  69A6FCDC-4EF8-4215-9948-4259FFD42ACC.jpeg
Views: 290
Size:  3.33 MB
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

nice, going with the thermoplastic hydraulic hose or the heavy wall nylon tubing.
    (tubing tends to be cheaper and is really common on the smaller systems. The hose is far more flexible but can be more expensive )
    Just make sure where the hose exits through or around any fiberglass edges that you protect it from chaff/vibration.
    Z
    Maca49 likes this.

@Maca49 put a autopilot in at the same time!

I've got one now, wish I'd had it put in when the boat was built - bloody neat bit of kit for trolling
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....