Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: flat tyre quad bike

flat tyre quad bike

Just purchased a quad bike recently. What do you guys use for a flat tyre on a quad bike in the backblocks??

Are those Tyre sealant products such as Slime tube sealant,, any good ?? Do you carry a hand pump or 12v electric pump tyre inlator....

What sort of tool kit/ plus spares are worth carrying....

thanks...

northdude
    i use to use one of those kits that have like a string impregnated with glue that you put in holes with a special tool
    mimms2 likes this.

sneakywaza I got
    Tube and tyre levers and a foot pump.

My daughter got a "new" car recently and while she was mucking about with the paperwork I checked the spare . . . there wasn't one. Made a dick of myself bailing up the salesman who pointed out it had a "can of shit" that you use to reinflate and keep the flat tyre running. Sure enough it was there, not much bigger than a coke can. Thought "I must put one in my 4wd", I'd rather change a tyre but sometimes thats not that easy either.

No idea if they work on a quad tyre but google will surly oblige!

Tyre repair kit from Motorbike store or Repco etc.

Also carry an aerosol can of slime which can be used after you fit the repair plugs if needed.
    I have seen a torn sidewall repaired with 7-8 plugs and driven on for the next 3 days on a RZR, guy wasn't easy on the machine afterwards either.

https://www.motomox.co.nz/shop/show_...t.php?prod=439

https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/s...40703#start=13

i used those dog shit type repair where you poke the in the hole and melt of end with a lighter. 12v pump sometimes. Always had a rope about ten meters, a hand turfer wire winch, small shovel/spade and use to carry a forestry pruning saw. A few basic tools. spark plug
    Only had two real majors, once 15km away from truck front drum breaks were locking on. Middle of a fire ban and the front drum was just about glowing. poured what water we had on rims they were sizzling hot as well. Turn straight around and headed for home the heat ended a stuffing wheel bearings as well.
    The other i was coming out of private land back through a doc block at night with a deer on the back and bike died, try a few times, changed plug but didn't have spark . unloaded all our gear and hid it the bushes ready for the walk out and return next morning with another bike in the morning. One more try and it fired up very freakin load up and went like the clappers out to truck. That was the icu unit packing out when it got hot.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    I had an issue with slow leaks, so I threw Slime in all 4, no problems 5 or so years later. I've also got those dog shit strings and tool, plus a small 12v pump that all fits in the tool box.
    dannyb likes this.

ebf
    Slime is ok, but in the long run it fucks up the valve cores.

You also get rapid inflators for bicycles these days that use the little air pistol type gas cylinder cartridges. Might be something super sized that would work for a quad tire - at least enough to get home.
    tetawa and csmiffy like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

The "Slime" sealer gets crap write ups, or is it the operator.

Here you go has every think you need https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...2590482328.htm
    Thats the type of repair kit i was talking about with out the gas etc, they are called strings if you look on TM there are a few different options. tyres must be tubeless
    Last edited by bigbear; 30-03-2020 at 08:26 AM.

Those slow leaks are worse than a full on flattie cause you never get them fixed :-)
    I use a 12V Wish bought pump
    Have had to drive a Quad 17ks through bush tracks with 1 tyre dead flat with big hole ripped in it - just ride sidesaddle and wast mush diff to ride (was a back one but)
    outlander likes this.

you only get flat tyre's when you fit a brand new set
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    Here you go has every think you need https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...2590482328.htm
    Thats the type of repair kit i was talking about with out the gas etc, they are called strings if you look on TM there are a few different options. tyres must be tubeless
    I have a similar kit.

I recommend that you look at buying a shut off valve for the co2 cylinders. Most kits only come with a canister punching hose, and once it is punchered it discharges the full canister whether you want it or not, and regardless of whether your hose is connected to the tyre valve. At lease with the control valve, you can inflate it as you see fit, check pressure and have another go. Get extra canisters as well as most of these are designed for two wheel bikes that don't have the tyre volume of a quad, but the quad only needs 3-4psi.
    The canister valve is the thing in the middle of the second photo with the red and orange knobs.

Name:  2020-03-30 09.13.21-1.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  2.74 MB

Name:  2020-03-30 09.13.59-1.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  2.94 MB

I did a bit of research on puncher proofing and concluded that the best on the market at the time was Lifeguard Tyre Guardian. At the time I hade to import it out of the USA but I see it is now available in NZ - https://www.atvlifeguard.co.nz/produ...L-Tyre-Sealant

Name:  2020-03-30 09.14.25.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  2.33 MB

A flat tyre on a quad in the back blocks...load all your gear on opposite corner of quad, hang out the opposite side and drive...if you are in with a mate then load him up with all the gear and sit on opposite corner...or make him walk with the gear.

I have one of these, and added extra CO2 cylinders from Torpedo 7. http://www.mach3motorsports.com/imag...repair_kit.jpg