Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree18Likes
  • 1 Post By Happy Jack
  • 2 Post By XR500
  • 1 Post By Happy Jack
  • 1 Post By gonetropo
  • 1 Post By m101a1
  • 1 Post By 25 /08 IMP
  • 2 Post By longrange308
  • 1 Post By outdoorlad
  • 2 Post By sore head stoat
  • 4 Post By jakewire
  • 1 Post By longrange308
  • 1 Post By Mathias

Thread: Ford Ranger trailer socket

Ford Ranger trailer socket

Anyone know what the idea behind that odd double trailer socket is on Rangers since you need an adapter to run LED trailer lights?

Am looking into towing a caravan and wondered if it would allow charging of the caravan batteries.

I know some will lambast me for owning a Ranger but its my choice not yours so I'm not interested in any rantings.

Thanks
    buell984 likes this.

On my truck the double trailer socket was used to provide signal and power to electric brakes on a big boat trailer. You'll see the second row of sockets are much bigger than the standard 7 pin array, to allow them to carry more current
    buell984 and Micky Duck like this.

Ah ok that makes sense.
    buell984 likes this.

double row sockets are designed to provide vehicle power to the caravan in order to keep the fridge running etc.
    buell984 likes this.

You might not need the led adapter , my 18 xlt runs them ok but there is a sep computer under the passenger seat for the trailer sway mitigation app , it also turns rear sensors of when towing .
    buell984 likes this.

My 2013 needs it on my trailer or the lights just blink but on my mates trailer it doesn't.
    Not sure why.
    I think the newer model doesn't, my Everest needed it as well.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    buell984 likes this.

Double plug just has resistors fitted in one end to stop cheap leds from flashing
    Some lights don’t flash some do, if it’s a factory towbar with wiring there is a fused power from fuse box for brakes/charging caravan
    rugerman and buell984 like this.

My Ranger does it too, annoying thing was that the adapter plugs are $75 in Aust (won’t send to NZ) and nearly double that here!
    buell984 likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    Anyone know what the idea behind that odd double trailer socket is on Rangers since you need an adapter to run LED trailer lights?

Am looking into towing a caravan and wondered if it would allow charging of the caravan batteries.

I know some will lambast me for owning a Ranger but its my choice not yours so I'm not interested in any rantings.

Thanks
    There will only be one person cooler than someone who has a ranger parked up there drive, that is someone who has 2 rangers up the drive

I have a 2020 model and that requires an adaptor . My daughter and son in law have a brand new one and that doesnt I was told.
    buell984 and Happy Jack like this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Well that's plenty of sensible answers, well apart from the above post.

What, you own a Ford, seriously, and a Ranger at that, Damn.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

So my 2012 Ranger definitely needs the adapter for any LED trailer I have used.

So on a caravan would you need a double row plug to charge a caravan (I'm guessing so but don't know) and if you do how does that then work with caravan LED towing lights or would a double row plug solve that issue?

Caravan would need a 12 pin plug , 7 for lights as usual, other bigger pins can be for what ever you can imagine,
    Brakes , charging etc
    buell984 likes this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    So my 2012 Ranger definitely needs the adapter for any LED trailer I have used.

So on a caravan would you need a double row plug to charge a caravan (I'm guessing so but don't know) and if you do how does that then work with caravan LED towing lights or would a double row plug solve that issue?
    Some caravans require a live power supply for charging house battery and other stuff. This is usually done via a 12pin plug, usually pin 9 on a Ranger or sometimes pin 8 on other applications.
    PX1 Rangers were never configured to run LED trailer lights with low current draw, so the body control module under passenger seat relays a fault thinking a bulb is out and warns you. This is why Ford offered the patch cable with resistors to owners to load the circuit correctly & fix the fault. It was supposed to be fixed on the PX2 but some LEDs still caused issues and the patch cable was needed.
    This is also a common problem on Euros with the similar canbus system.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
    buell984 likes this.