Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Fresh Imports - Utes

Fresh Imports - Utes

I've been thinking about upgrading from my current 1997 Subaru Forester to a Ute. I've narrowed it down to 3 vehicles.

- Toyota Hilux Surf 1996 diesel 3L.
    - Toyota Landcruiser Prado 90 Series.
    - Nissan Patrol Diesel Y61 (hard to find one within my budget)
    - Or say screw it all and go back to a Subaru Forester.

I don't prefer the Subaru option simply because there have been times I've driven few hours to a hunting spot only to walk few more hours to what seemed accessible with a proper 4x4. Its like a condom, you'd rather have it and not use it, than need it but not have it.

Having said all that, my budget is around $12.5k and whilst there are some good looking fresh imports on Trademe what really bugs me is the low millage they have on the clock.
    From 1996 and diesel engine yet some of these fresh imports have 100,000kms to 150,000kms on the clock, I find it hard to believe yet they are AA Certified.

Am I being paranoid or my reasons to be suspicious aren't ludicrous ? Enlighten me....

Japan imports mite be low ks but will have idled in traffic for f;:kin hrs
    Wirehunt and Savage1 like this.

Plus they all had the easiest speedos to tamper

Quote Originally Posted by Petros_mk View Post
    I've been thinking about upgrading from my current 1997 Subaru Forester to a Ute. I've narrowed it down to 3 vehicles.

- Toyota Hilux Surf 1996 diesel 3L.
    - Toyota Landcruiser Prado 90 Series.
    - Nissan Patrol Diesel Y61 (hard to find one within my budget)
    - Or say screw it all and go back to a Subaru Forester.

I don't prefer the Subaru option simply because there have been times I've driven few hours to a hunting spot only to walk few more hours to what seemed accessible with a proper 4x4. Its like a condom, you'd rather have it and not use it, than need it but not have it.

Having said all that, my budget is around $12.5k and whilst there are some good looking fresh imports on Trademe what really bugs me is the low millage they have on the clock.
    From 1996 and diesel engine yet some of these fresh imports have 100,000kms to 150,000kms on the clock, I find it hard to believe yet they are AA Certified.

Am I being paranoid or my reasons to be suspicious aren't ludicrous ? Enlighten me....
    I do believe there are a lot of garage ornaments in Japan but easy to understand especialy if you try driving a Toyota Landcruiser Prado in Tokyo traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    Japan imports mite be low ks but will have idled in traffic for f;:kin hrs
    this

yes

I bought a Jap import - base model Volvo V50 station wagon - obviously a 'rep special'.
    Bought at 100K kms - gone to 108K kms in my care of 13 months ownership.
    From what I can glean, vehicles in Japan are required by law to be de-registered and sold off or disposed of, when 10 years old or approaching 100K kms.
    I'm very happy with my little runabout - seems solid as (Volvos usually are, as they share some componentry with the HCV models).
    Whatever's in your price bracket that'll do the job, I'd say go for it.

I'd be wary of anything with a ZD30 in it
    Pointer likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I'd be wary of anything with a ZD30 in it
    Yup, 3l nissan diesels are notorious

Yep now take that motor from the D22, and put it in a much heavier patrol. I know aussies say the patrol ZD30s were different and very reliable, but I still wouldn't grab one. It's a big whale of a truck, needs a big motor working easier as opposed to a smaller motor working hard. There's only two motors worth having in the Y61 and that's the legendary TD42T which was discontinued early, and the TB48 which is bulletproof and a real powerhouse but drinks like a sailor on leave.

Prado would be my pick over surf for sheer comfort.
    Last edited by Pointer; 23-06-2017 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Yep now take that motor from the D22, and put it in a much heavier patrol. I know aussies say the patrol ZD30s were different and very reliable, but I still wouldn't grab one
    They're so reliable, these exist hehehehe Nissan Patrol V8 Engine Conversion using the LS Series V8 -ZD30 Manual they must be moving a few to be able to sell all that so cheap.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Yeah thats a common conversion. Good fun

Cheers boys for confirming my suspicion re the KMs on fresh imports.... seems like a good way for dealership to pump up prices.

Pointer, I agree on the comfort side of things with the prado over a surf, from what I see the downside with prado is the full time 4wd so I'm not sure how much impact that has on fuel consumption (all else being equal).
    On a totally other side of the spectrum, one weird thing I noticed with the Surf is the Used Car Safety Rating is horrible with the Surf, much of the reading I've done seems to suggest surfs are a death trap. Soft of like a nuclear plant, its amazing until something goes wrong. Not sure if this holds true with the Surf's safety or what I read is exaggeration.

Quote Originally Posted by 7x64 View Post
    Yup, 3l nissan diesels are notorious
    Thanks for that, I did consider going for a 2.8L/3L patrol simply for the price point. That'll have to be scratched of the list now.

Suzuki? Isuzu?